Check your account email address ×

Daimler says that it is stopping development of new internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars

spin_dry

Pretty interesting stuff. I think Daimler is making the right move. The advances in efficiency for the ICE are minuscule.  Advancing an EV will improve battery technology and expand the recharge infrastructure up to acceptable levels. Imagine the day when we can fast charge out EV in about the same time as it takes to currently refuel. That time may be a ways off but I bet its within my lifetime. 

51 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Pretty interesting stuff. I think Daimler is making the right move. The advances in efficiency for the ICE are minuscule.  Advancing an EV will improve battery technology and expand the recharge infrastructure up to acceptable levels. Imagine the day when we can fast charge out EV in about the same time as it takes to currently refuel. That time may be a ways off but I bet its within my lifetime. 

That’s a good way to put it. The volumetric efficiency of the ICE is tapering while energy density of batteries is improving. The amazing simplicity of EV’s is impressive. 

• Gold Member
51 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Articles like this make me happy to own the finest ICE ever put in a consumer car. What an absolute gem the s85 is

Isn’t that like claiming the procross chassis is the best chassis on the snow?

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

It’s idiotic!! This is a leftists wet dream

27 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

It’s idiotic!! This is a leftists wet dream

or progress whichever way you want to think. Making cars better and more efficient is in the companies best interest. Staying with 100 year old tech ust because it fits your ideology is not necessarily good business. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

That’s a good way to put it. The volumetric efficiency of the ICE is tapering while energy density of batteries is improving. The amazing simplicity of EV’s is impressive. 

If they can get the battery tech 10x better I’ll be in 

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Electric motors and batteries have been around forever, longer than the ICE.  ICE's days are numbered, just not sure EV is the right replacement, just hope our governments don't double down into only one successor.

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Electric motors and batteries have been around forever, longer than the ICE.  ICE's days are numbered, just not sure EV is the right replacement, just hope our governments don't double down into only one successor.

ICE’d days are numbered because of government, not because of viability.  There’s nothing nearly as good yet 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Would be nice if they could get the batteries to where you just swap them out for a full charge like a cordless tool.  I don’t know the limitations of fast charging, but being able to change the batteries quickly would make it not too much of an issue. I picture pulling into a “gas station” and they give you a charged battery and take your empty one/s, but then who owns the batteries? Do they have to be returned? Size vs power at this point probably not possible for a quick change out. 

Probably would have to have a membership to a battery vendor (fuel station)

:dunno: 

1 minute ago, CheezusXR8 said:

Would be nice if they could get the batteries to where you just swap them out for a full charge like a cordless tool.  I don’t know the limitations of fast charging, but being able to change the batteries quickly would make it not too much of an issue. I picture pulling into a “gas station” and they give you a charged battery and take your empty one/s, but then who owns the batteries? Do they have to be returned? Size vs power at this point probably not possible for a quick change out. 

I don't think these batteries are swappable like you just described.

All they are saying is they think they cannot obtain any great efficiencies fron an ICE and will not task engineers to try. This does not mean the ICE is dead or even close to dying as the article states. As a matter of fact, it really means fuck all. MB will still make and sell gas powered vehicles at a rate that far exceeds battery powered vehicles. Perhaps they feel they can bring a vehicle to market with 400km plus range for under 30k. But economies of scale will make that difficult without first suffering massive financial losses before people get on board.

4 minutes ago, CheezusXR8 said:

Battery packs are few hundred pounds so swapping one is not really an option. Solid state battery tech is promising for quick charge times. Tesla’s aren’t too bad. 30 minutes to get to 80% at a super charger station. Getting to 100% takes quite longer, but it’s not recommended to 100%. 

46 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Battery packs are few hundred pounds so swapping one is not really an option. Solid state battery tech is promising for quick charge times. Tesla’s aren’t too bad. 30 minutes to get to 80% at a super charger station. Getting to 100% takes quite longer, but it’s not recommended to 100%. 

The Maxwell tech that Tesla has bought into could be the biggest leap forward for electric cars in the last decade. Being able to make batteries dry would cut costs by more than a third and increase range and shorten charge times.

3 minutes ago, Doorider said:

You keep saying that, but what vehicle gets 3000+ miles on a tank?  I'd say I'd they improve 2x ICE are done for. 

They are already getting 400-600 mile range. That's pretty respectable. 

23 minutes ago, Doorider said:

You keep saying that, but what vehicle gets 3000+ miles on a tank?  I'd say I'd they improve 2x ICE are done for. 

Commuting in a little faggot car means nothing. Make it viable in a truck or tractor.