Check your account email address ×

Dynotech Research dyno's the new Cat 800

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, f7ben said:

Those numbers were backed up at BMP as well. New motor is a dud.

This will be the final nail in Cat

To be fair the Plasma coated cylinders like on the Poo 800/850 take some time to seat the rings.   Also there were a few other things that they wanted to do but couldn't (dry cold air and cold fuel) during the test but their cold room condensers froze up.  I could see it being a 160-164 HP sled when broken in of which the 800 etec has ticked on DTR's dyno as well.  

Prior to the test this sled was ran for 5 hours at lower RPM's with water on the heat exchangers.  92.9 zero ethanol fuel was also used.

Correction factor seemed a bit high as well as compared to past tests with similar temps/humidity.   1.076.

Edited by Highmark

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

This sled was ran for 5 hours at lower RPM's with water on the heat exchangers.  92.9 zero ethanol fuel was also used.

It was broken in.....but that's no way to seat the rings. You need to heat cycle them under load 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, f7ben said:

It was broken in.....but that's no way to seat the rings. You need to heat cycle them under load 

Absolutely.  

18 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Ya running it at idle for 5 hours is not doing any favors to the rings. Id bet that this motor will always read low until it is re-ringed with a fresh hone.

Yep.  That particular motor will never make much more than 155hp without mods.  

So when DTR uses chilled intake air for their runs do they still have a correction factor for altitude, temperature and density.  The DTR facility is at 900' above sea level, thats not much.  If they are cooling intake temps more than 40F it could result in a negative correction factor.  

Seems like old Jim is gaming the audience.  

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Highmark said:

To be fair the Plasma coated cylinders like on the Poo 800/850 take some time to seat the rings.   Also there were a few other things that they wanted to do but couldn't (dry cold air and cold fuel) during the test but their cold room condensers froze up.  I could see it being a 160-164 HP sled when broken in of which the 800 etec has ticked on DTR's dyno as well.  

The 800 ho Polaris only dynod 147 at light break In then 160 after 77 hard dyno pulls 

10 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep.  That particular motor will never make much more than 155hp without mods.  

So when DTR uses chilled intake air for their runs do they still have a correction factor for altitude, temperature and density.  The DTR facility is at 900' above sea level, thats not much.  If they are cooling intake temps more than 40F it could result in a negative correction factor.  

Seems like old Jim is gaming the audience.  

Says light throttle.   Not sure why you would do that for 5 hours.

74.6 air inlet temp and 28.7 baro pressure.  DenAlt Feet 2750.  

5 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

The 800 ho Polaris only dynod 147 at light break In then 160 after 77 hard dyno pulls 

I was thinking 4-5 hp.  

I'm not being critical of this motor here.   I'm just showing what DTR has tested thus far.   

24 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

Nope.....the 147 motor always dyno'd low....I dont think it ever made more than 155ish

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

sounds like if you want a 800 cat , go with 2019 leftovers, plenty of dealers still got 2019 cats. 

The 2019's were actually probably the best 800 procross yet. Then they went and fucked it up. I don't know why anyone would buy a 2020.

Just now, Rapid Anus said:

Not according to DTR

I'm just going by what was said by the guy who owned the low number sled. They went back to dtr many times swapping ecus etc etc. The sled never made the power it was supposed to

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'm just going by what was said by the guy who owned the low number sled. They went back to dtr many times swapping ecus etc etc. The sled never made the power it was supposed to

This the guy DTR said used Walmart oil on break in?  :lol:    

8 minutes ago, Rapid Anus said:

41061F03-F6C3-4565-9FDD-82D1FB5E911E.png

Motor to motor can be different but I would expect some gains there pending how much the rings seated in the 5 hour break in.   Had to help a bit.

I could see this motor being in the 160's no different than I seen some 800 Etec's at DTR.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Motor to motor can be different but I would expect some gains there pending how much the rings seated in the 5 hour break in.   Had to help a bit.

I could see this motor being in the 160's no different than I seen some 800 Etec's at DTR.

She’s gonna lay a dirty gape on the 850 doo now pretty bad