Check your account email address ×

Local Cherry Farms Struggling

• Platinum Contributing Member

Well this sucks and I did't realize Cherries were being imported from Turkey and that they are subsidized...Cherry Farming has a long and rich history in and around Traverse City. 

Local Cherry Orchards Forced to Close After Not Turning a Profit
Fouch Orchards on Old Mission Peninsula sold one of their three cherry farms and has anoth...
https://www.9and10news.com/2019/08/08/local-cherry-orchards-forced-to-close-after-not-turning-a-profit/

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Turkish cherries WTF?

I ate all the Washington State cherries.

Yeah that was a new one for me...Rainer cherries from out west are good but nothing beats N. Michigan Sweet Cherry.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well this sucks and I did't realize Cherries were being imported from Turkey and that they are subsidized...Cherry Farming has a long and rich history in and around Traverse City. 

Local Cherry Orchards Forced to Close After Not Turning a Profit
Fouch Orchards on Old Mission Peninsula sold one of their three cherry farms and has anoth...
https://www.9and10news.com/2019/08/08/local-cherry-orchards-forced-to-close-after-not-turning-a-profit/

Didn’t the weather affect things this year as well?

• Gold Member

I woofed down a shit ton of cherries the other day, I never even considered where they were from, never knew we imported cherries. I'll have to get some more and check where they are from.

11 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Golf is a dying sport anyway.

Yup. More courses is the last thing the sport need.  Even in a good economy the number of courses having membership pushes is amazing. The course I was joining 20 years ago at a 17k initiation was doing a 2500 special last year to fill their number. One I played at last week is short 50 members 

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Yup. More courses is the last thing the sport need.  Even in a good economy the number of courses having membership pushes is amazing. The course I was joining 20 years ago at a 17k initiation was doing a 2500 special last year to fill their number. One I played at last week is short 50 members 

Golf industry got saturated in the late 90's early 2000's.   Use to be over 300 new courses opened every year.   That number is significantly down.   Many courses its the 3rd owner that finally can make a bit of money.   Just too expensive to build.  In today's fast times taking 4 hrs plus to golf isn't as attractive as it once was.

http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/golf-course-reduction-continues-ngf-reports

Edited by Highmark

24 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

A bunch of the golf course I played on growing up all have houses on them now. I think there is only one that is still a golf course. 

34 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Golf industry got saturated in the late 90's early 2000's.   Use to be over 300 new courses opened every year.   That number is significantly down.   Many courses its the 3rd owner that finally can make a bit of money.   Just too expensive to build.  In today's fast times taking 4 hrs plus to golf isn't as attractive as it once was.

http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/golf-course-reduction-continues-ngf-reports

funny i said exactly that to a lady we were playing with yesterday

17 minutes ago, Anler said:

A bunch of the golf course I played on growing up all have houses on them now. I think there is only one that is still a golf course. 

far more profitable use of land.  and the attraction of homes on golf courses is not what it once was so they aren't getting the premium that way to give up having more lots.  

38 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

far more profitable use of land.  and the attraction of homes on golf courses is not what it once was so they aren't getting the premium that way to give up having more lots.  

Growing up my best friend lived across the street from a country club. Couple broken windows on the house and 1 windshield and some dents on the cars... I know I have taken a piss in a couple peoples back yards.. :bc: