Check your account email address ×

GM to announce the closing of operations in Oshawa

irv

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

What plant in Warren is closing? That's the Tech Center and they've stopped the big $$$ renovations they were doing last I heard. D-Ham is not closing either, maybe idle for a while.  :dunno: 

Buyouts and layoffs have been going on in white collar sections this fall. Automotive is a 10 year cycle they say and 2008 sucked so...

They invested a pile of money in Oshawa as well and gave another pile to the University here too. All write offs for them so it was all likely just smoke and mirrors to appease the masses. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, irv said:

They invested a pile of money in Oshawa as well and gave another pile to the University here too. All write offs for them so it was all likely just smoke and mirrors to appease the masses. 

That sucks! They were doing their "be like Google" renovations in Warren. Nice new digs but hate the wide open first come first serve seating for most.

8 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

They’re striking :lol: they think that’s going to help 

Yeah, definitely not smart! The closing isn't until the end of next year but this may only help to close the plant sooner! 

They are talking about it in the House of Commons now. Of course Ford is being hammered by Horwath on what he is going to do. Wynne, McGuinty and the rest of the Libs should be getting the heat, not Ford. 

Edited by irv

56 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Lots of reasons dumb dumb. I’ve watched large customers close better performing plants and leave ones with lazy militant unions running just because of product mix.  I watched gm close dealerships in the last recession. They left two within a couple of blocks of each other near me  but closed two in one area leaving a huge area with no representation. 

I watched dummies like you give Trump praise for the economy continuing to raise one month into his Presidency. Yet you never said word one about Obama fixing the mess Bush left.  

Have any of you blamed Ford for this?  

This was decided before Trudeau came to power.  Yet dummies like you are blaming him. 

But to be fair.... that’s one of the reasons I keep showing up. 

Tell us about these plants in RevBeta storytime.

47 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

What plant in Warren is closing? That's the Tech Center and they've stopped the big $$$ renovations they were doing last I heard. D-Ham is not closing either, maybe idle for a while.  :dunno: 

Buyouts and layoffs have been going on in white collar sections this fall. Automotive is a 10 year cycle they say and 2008 sucked so...

Transmission plant

Edited by Cold War

Our dolt of a Prime Minister said he was "Deeply Disappointed" to hear the news of the Oshawa plant closure. Likely all we hear from him about this! :wall:

cffa9517bcd51f870b280884014bf4a9.jpg

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

So, years ago, the union would get together and all union workers would walk.  If they did that now, GM may think twice.  That's what you have a union for, right?

55 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

They’re striking :lol: they think that’s going to help 

And you blamed Trudeau and Wynne. 

Just now, irv said:

Our dolt of a Prime Minister said he was "Deeply Disappointed" to hear the news of the Oshawa plant closure. Likely all we hear from him about this! :wall:

cffa9517bcd51f870b280884014bf4a9.jpg

I thought it was Trumps heel spurs. 

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

When I say strike, that means ALL UAW members....that means all plants.  Not just this one.

Great idea. 

“Hi Dealer is car from UAW plant why hasn’t the car I ordered come in yet?”  

“Strike you say?  Ok I’ll buy one at the Honda or Toyota dealer. “

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

Great idea. 

“Hi Dealer is car from UAW plant why hasn’t the car I ordered come in yet?”  

“Strike you say?  Ok I’ll buy one at the Honda or Toyota dealer. “

Yeah, its not bright but you have to put yourself in their shoes. Some serious angst today with this news so people are doing what they think they need to do and that's trying to hurt their bottom line. 

All entrances into GM here in Oshawa are blocked. Not a truck is getting in or out. Millions was invested and concessions were made to keep this plant open and GM promised it would. Would you not be pissed too? 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Yeah, definitely not smart! The closing isn't until the end of next year but this may only help to close the plant sooner! 

They are talking about it in the House of Commons now. Of course Ford is being hammered by Horwath on what he is going to do. Wynne, McGuinty and the rest of the Libs should be getting the heat, not Ford. 

There’s nothing Ford can don TBH. Imo GM just wants out of ontario because it’s shit. 

It will take 20 years of good government to fix half of what mcguinty and Wynne did. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yeah, its not bright but you have to put yourself in their shoes. Some serious angst today with this news so people are doing what they think they need to do and that's trying to hurt their bottom line. 

All entrances into GM here in Oshawa are blocked. Not a truck is getting in or out. Millions was invested and concessions were made to keep this plant open and GM promised it would. Would you not be pissed too? 

I agree it sucks for the workers. But I thought the agreement was to keep it open to 2016. So they haven’t broken their word. The strike will make it easier to close early, maybe even pay less severance. 

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

There’s nothing Ford can don TBH. Imo GM just wants out of ontario because it’s shit. 

It will take 20 years of good government to fix half of what mcguinty and Wynne did. 

Now blame the 4 plants in the US closing on Wynne Dumb dumb. 

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

They have no clue, even when they were told repeatedly, how having high taxes, hydro rates, etc, hurts business. :wall:

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

I agree it sucks for the workers. But I thought the agreement was to keep it open to 2016. So they haven’t broken their word. The strike will make it easier to close early, maybe even pay less severance. 

No, it was beyond that.

If this province was more competitive with lower hydro rates, taxes, etc, GM would still be here. Like Rod said, Ontario is just a shitty place to do business in anymore! 

33 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

In Detroit? Wynne style politics yes 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Transmission plant

They use a ford transmission in many gm’s now.  Makes sense to close the 6 speed and 8 speed transmission plants since the ford 10 speed is used now....

with gm plant closures it looks looks like GM is getting out of the car business and just doing SUV’s and pickups.

Just now, BOHICA said:

They use a ford transmission in many gm’s now.  Makes sense to close the 6 speed and 8 speed transmission plants since the ford 10 speed is used now....

with gm plant closures it looks looks like GM is getting out of the car business and just doing SUV’s and pickups.

Ford is doing the same 

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

:lol: Figured it would take you long before chiming in with that.

After a lull the past year or so, there's finally some vehicles coming down the pipe and thru Advanced Design. The trucks (T1XX and 32XX) already accounted for, they will be sedans and SUV's

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Ford is doing the same 

Ya ford announced it like last year that they were getting out of the car business except for the mustang.  Gm just following Ford’s lead like usual.

on a serious note though.  This sucks for those employed at these plants.

plus side in all this, is that it looks like Gm is closing 3 non NA plants in this as well.  So it’s not like they are moving production

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Ya ford announced it like last year that they were getting out of the car business except for the mustang.  Gm just following Ford’s lead like usual.

plus side in all this, is that it looks like Gm is closing 3 non NA plants in this as well.  So it’s not like they are moving production

Ford is following GM lead and building different trucks now because they can’t beat GM total truck sales 

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

All 3 of them have shed small cars in recent years :lol: When gas prices go back up guess what happens to truck sales

EV is the way to go

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

All 3 of them have shed small cars in recent years :lol: When gas prices go back up guess what happens to truck sales

EV is the way to go

Gm is cutting an electric car.  Electric trucks and suv’s Is the future.