Check your account email address ×

Daughter Wants to Buy a Sled

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep, thats a decent sled and it looks to be in very good shape. Studs and carbides and that would be a safe and reliable sled for her. 

Shocks suck but other than that its a good sled. 

Yeah the shocks are pretty lame but for her they should be good for now and the rest of the sled seems nice.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

We were talking about it last weekend and my wife is bringing up the little Jag I bought for her and how she didn’t like it blah,blah,blah....I’m like WTF she was 10 years old! 🤣🤣

yeah that was a long time ago. Im sure she has matured enough now to understand and it sounds like she wants to have fun.

Id love my daughter be so excited about sledding but she has different interests

11 minutes ago, Tinker said:

I'd start off on an old school sit down style sled, if she tips that over she'll fn barrel roll a rider forward sled

What I was thinking as well.

My son is on my old Indy 95 XLT SP and enjoys it but hasn't ridden anything newer other than my Vector occasionally. The XLT has been bullet proof and surprisingly, it still handles and the suspension is still decent even by today's standards. I would assume a decent one can be found stateside for $1000 to $1500? 

IMG_1319 (Large).JPG

HPIM1027 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Another pretty good deal. Quite a few miles but with eStart its a decent sled. 

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/snd/d/2015-polaris-indy-600-es/6724761933.html

That is nice...especially the electric start.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That is nice...especially the electric start.

Yeah, that's definitely a nice feature for a women to have. I have no idea on her size/strength, but I can't imagine any girl/woman not liking that feature. 

That shift is nice. It is on the IQ raw chassis. If it was a 2007-2008 it would have a way fatter front end, fuel tank and seat. In 2009 you got the raw chassis with the dragon sp. In 2010 and up it became more standard across the line up with the exception of the shift in 2010. The IQ raw is much nicer than the fatter IQ. I found my IQ 600 cfi's very easy to start. They both would do around 95-100 mph on the dream-o-meter. Not bad on fuel and oil. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yeah, that's definitely a nice feature for a women to have. I have no idea on her size/strength, but I can't imagine any girl/woman not liking that feature. 

Can't imagine anyone buy choice not getting ES women or man.  After a decade with ES i went 2 years yanking a rope and hated it ever freezing cold morning.  put 6k miles on that sled and i bet you i put 20% more hours than needed because i just didn't want to shut it off and start it back up again where i usually kill it all the time with es.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

Can't imagine anyone buy choice not getting ES women or man.  After a decade with ES i went 2 years yanking a rope and hated it ever freezing cold morning.  put 6k miles on that sled and i bet you i put 20% more hours than needed because i just didn't want to shut it off and start it back up again where i usually kill it all the time with es.  

Nothing like trying to pull start a 1995 skidoo STX at -20. holy fuck

9 minutes ago, irv said:

5 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

That shift is nice. It is on the IQ raw chassis. If it was a 2007-2008 it would have a way fatter front end, fuel tank and seat. In 2009 you got the raw chassis with the dragon sp. In 2010 and up it became more standard across the line up with the exception of the shift in 2010. The IQ raw is much nicer than the fatter IQ. I found my IQ 600 cfi's very easy to start. They both would do around 95-100 mph on the dream-o-meter. Not bad on fuel and oil. 

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

My TNT has electric start...I should just give her that sled.🤣

• Like 2

Pull start is nice to have especially if the ES start doesn't work. Hell my ex couldn't hardly start the lawn mower!  :lol: 

Those days in the mid to late 90's trying to pull start everything...hit the primer at the right time, too much and it got flooded. 670's when they were super cold...fuck all that  

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Pull start is nice to have especially if the ES start doesn't work. Hell my ex couldn't hardly start the lawn mower!  :lol: 

Those days in the mid to late 90's trying to pull start everything...hit the primer at the right time, too much and it got flooded. 670's when they were super cold...fuck all that  

I had a ZRT 800 and SRX 700 that could get a little tough after a cold night.😖

The riding up in Big Bay is fantastic. You need to find out what type of riding her friends do. Younger folks up there like logging roads and fire roads. Thousands of miles of those in that area. Groomed trails are for the old folks in that area. I’m thinking a 600 cross over for that area.

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The riding up in Big Bay is fantastic. You need to find out what type of riding her friends do. Younger folks up there like logging roads and fire roads. Thousands of miles of those in that area. Groomed trails are for the old folks in that area. I’m thinking a 600 cross over for that area.

Pretty sure they mostly trailride as her roommate is fairly new to Sledding as well...I’ll have to find out where the boyfriends camp is.

Down by Germfask somewhere...not exactly the snow belt.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

47 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Sounds like the better option. At least people wouldn't think you "play for both teams" lmao.

My brother used ride a 2007 500ss. That thing would keep right up to my 07 600 cfi, get better fuel economy and easier on oil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So it turns out my daughters roommate at NMU and her boyfriend have sleds and the boyfriends family have a camp not too far from campus and they really want Sarah to ride with them on the weekends. She has her college expenses covered and would pay for the sled with her own money...she also has another friend from HS that attends NMU and lives in a house in Gwinn and offered to help her pick the sled up, keep it his house, ect....he rides as well. At first I was against it because of the logistics, the money the inherent problems..ect.....but the more I think about it the more I like the idea as she is up there so she might as well have a hobby that she enjoys and if she has friends to ride with why not? Of course my navel gazing no fun mopey type wife is adamantly against it but that can be worked around. Just curious as to what my fellow sledders/parents think.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

You just answered your own question and yes you should do that, besides you won't be riding it anyway, you spend all your time here. :news:

Jimmy , we have no children , but the wife has seen the aftermath of weekend / holiday / late night  dipshits upon MI trail systems firsthand   , young and old fools alike . With that said , electric start and reverse , a Tekvest , full face helmet , also a neck collar . Lot's of good sleds popping up  in the 500 - 600 class. Also think of the smiles you both will have forever, ridding together, dad and daughter , once twice or many times.  Your wife may have deep concerns about your daughters College studies being at risk, her overall safety out on the sled, as well as her new found freedoms out of the family nest that can be influenced by others ,without mom and dads daily loving input .  ( Wife asked me to add this ) Best O luck in your family decision !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hwytohell said:

Jimmy , we have no children , but the wife has seen the aftermath of weekend / holiday / late night  dipshits upon MI trail systems firsthand   , young and old fools alike . With that said , electric start and reverse , a Tekvest , full face helmet , also a neck collar . Lot's of good sleds popping up  in the 500 - 600 class. Also think of the smiles you both will have forever, ridding together, dad and daughter , once twice or many times.  Your wife may have deep concerns about your daughters College studies being at risk, her overall safety out on the sled, as well as her new found freedoms out of the family nest that can be influenced by others ,without mom and dads daily loving input .  ( Wife asked me to add this ) Best O luck in your family decision !!

Well said and thank you...I worry about all of this but you are absolutely correct in that it would be a great to ride with her and my wife is just being well....my wife.😝

7 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

Out of all the numerous "Kill yourself" and "faggot" or "you're dumb" type replies in this forum, it's nice to see something like this every now and then! Nice post sir! :thumb: 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I had a ZRT 800 and SRX 700 that could get a little tough after a cold night.😖

Never ever got cold on my SRX 700's . They were a fucking blast , compared to my Vmax4's. The sounds of either wound up was just perfect for my ears and arms.

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Out of all the numerous "Kill yourself" and "faggot" or "you're dumb" type replies in this forum, it's nice to see something like this every now and then! Nice post sir! :thumb: 

That's just flirting :lol:

Agreed on the nice post though :thumb:

• Haha 1