Check your account email address ×

Trump Says Tariffs Mean Ford Can Make New Model at Home. Ford Says It Won't.

Mainecat

Dictators tell corps how to run their companies....

Trump Says Tariffs Mean Ford Can Make New Model at Home. Ford Says It Won't.

Source: New York Times

8:16 PM, Sept. 9, 2018 
By Neal E. Boudette 

President Trump on Sunday suggested Ford Motor could begin making a small car in the United States instead of importing it from China. But the automaker quickly issued a statement saying it has no such plans. 

In August, Ford announced it had killed a plan to import the Focus Active, a roomy hatchback, saying the tariffs Mr. Trump has threatened to impose on vehicles built in China would increase costs too much for the company to hit its profit targets. 

Mr. Trump hailed the decision in a Twitter post on Sunday, apparently after he saw a report about the Focus Active on television. “‘Ford has abruptly killed a plan to sell a Chinese-made small vehicle in the U.S. because of the prospect of higher U.S. tariffs.’ CNBC. This is just the beginning. This car can now be BUILT IN THE U.S.A. and Ford will pay no tariffs!” 

Ford announced its plan to withhold the Focus Active from the United States market on Aug. 31. After Mr. Trump’s tweet, the company responded with a statement that reiterated its reasoning: The niche model was not suited for domestic production. “It would not be profitable to build the Focus Active in the U.S. given an expected annual sales volume of fewer than 50,000 units and its competitive segment,” the company said.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/09/business/trump-china-tariffs-ford-focus-active.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage  

The hilarity continues. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

So our "dictator" is telling, not suggesting, that Ford will produce their low volume niche vehicle here even though Ford knows they will loose money if they did? If this doesn't turn Trumpsters into Democrats, I don't know what will  :lol: 

Edited by Skidooski
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

MC and his tarriff opinions.  It's as if he hasn't learned anything from his beat downs for being a complete hypocrite.  And that's correct, he hasn't.

"Dictators".  :lol:

Another swing and a miss from the boards #1 woman

• Like 1

which part of the official definition of dictator does trump fall under you whining baby? 

b : one holding complete autocratic control : a person with unlimited governmental power
c : one ruling in an absolute (see absolute 2) and often oppressive way 
  • fascist dictators
  • Like 1

what will we do with 1 less car built in China to pick from . oh no what will I do when I head out to buy my next 3/4 ton . 

I say good fuck Ford .want to build a shit box in China .ok so be it but good luck dumping the pile of shit on the US market and turning a profit 

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

what will we do with 1 less car built in China to pick from . oh no what will I do when I head out to buy my next 3/4 ton . 

I say good fuck Ford .want to build a shit box in China .ok so be it but good luck dumping the pile of shit on the US market and turning a profit 

At volumes less than 50000 units to be sold in the US, Ford is saying it's not feasible to manufacture these cars in the US and export them.  Tariff away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yup no effect on car 

10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yup no effect on car prices. 

so are you now sad that there is 1 less China car to pick from? 

who gives a shit fuck anything built in China.  and fuck you for being such a fucking hipocrat 

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

So our "dictator" is telling, not suggesting, that Ford will produce their low volume niche vehicle here even though Ford knows they will loose money if they did? If this doesn't turn Trumpsters into Democrats, I don't know what will  :lol: 

CAN be built here and pay no tariffs sure doesnt sound like he Telling anyone anything.

Imagine if Obama would have said that to ford.

MC-  "fuck ford and their chinese shit they can shove it up their ass obama is so smart ford is so dumb you fucking repubs want nothing but cheap chinese shit damnit I just shit my pants i'm an independant derp derp derp!" 

1 minute ago, hayward said:

MC-  "fuck ford and their chinese shit they can shove it up their ass obama is so smart ford is so dumb you fucking repubs want nothing but cheap chinese shit damnit I just shit my pants i'm an independant derp derp derp!" 

Imagine of Obama had someone like Omarosa in his administration?

Oh wait....

2 hours ago, hayward said:

Obama didn’t dictate to American business.

imagine if Hayward had a cunt on his face instead of a nose?

You see how that works?

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Dictators are typically smart and have a supporting cast that stays in the administration for more than 9 months  

Well they do dissapear, get poisoned or used for air craft target practice.