Check your account email address ×

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why-

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

The typical American worker now earns around $44,500 a year, not much more than what the typical worker earned in 40 years ago, adjusted for inflation. 
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/29/us-economy-workers-paycheck-robert-reich 

So US worker makes more then they did 40 years ago when adjusted for inflation.....  so much for the wage stagnation theory.

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Kind of funny.   We were all talking about how much money we thought we were all going to have once our kids got of day care, then sports, then moved out.

Weird........... that money is still not in our bank account. where did it go? 

sleds, bikes, vacations, better whiskey, .......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

So US worker makes more then they did 40 years ago when adjusted for inflation.....  so much for the wage stagnation theory.

In 1979 a new Ford Bronco cost around 12k with the average household income being 56K. Today that vehicle would be around 45k-50k meaning the average household income would have to be around 250k. :dunno:

• Platinum Contributing Member

American's are so spoiled the only means of getting away from living "paycheck to paycheck" is more income.   God forbid people control their spending habits.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

In 1979 a new Ford Bronco cost around 12k with the average household income being 56K. Today that vehicle would be around 45k-50k meaning the average household income would have to be around 250k. :dunno:

In 88 I bought a new Nissan Pathfinder for about 36K, today similar specs would cost me about 46K.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

American's are so spoiled the only means of getting away from living "paycheck to paycheck" is more income.   God forbid people control their spending habits.  

Yeah.  More income wouldn’t make in difference in the vast majority of these ones “living paycheck to paycheck”.  It will go out the door on frivolous, impulsive buys like the rest of it.  I’ve known plenty of people that make $250k+ a year that fret over the size of their next commission statement.

SMH.

Just now, smokin george said:

The wife and I are on a budget so we don't live paycheck to paycheck. 

What is this budget thing you speak of? Are you saying I can’t spend all the money right now? I don’t like this idea at all. :news: 

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah.  More income wouldn’t make in difference in the vast majority of these ones “living paycheck to paycheck”.  It will go out the door on frivolous, impulsive buys like the rest of it.  I’ve known plenty of people that make $250k+ a year that fret over the size of their next commission statement.

SMH.

Kind of the whole point in raising wages is so that people will spend it. 

4 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

sleds, bikes, vacations, better whiskey, .......

Right on.   You  will always find something to spend your money on .   We have become a society of instant & constant gratification.  ..... once the thrill of likes on Facebook, we need more. 

Look how many sports & celebrities have blown through millions upon millions.

stagnet wages, not making enough,? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Kind of the whole point in raising wages is so that people will spend it. 

What?  I missed your point I think.  So, raising people’s wages is part of the sinister plan to give them more money to spend?

Explain other?

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

SMH.

Most of friends make more than. Us.,  but are always in some kind of economic  turmoil.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

We all know vacation days and rip off health insurance doesn't put food on the table or a new car in the driveway. 

Stop being dishonest

Not being dishonest.   Reality is many people do not know how to spend within their means.  It starts with a breakdown of our public education system and parents.   No teaching of financial restraint and budgeting.    

Not every job is going to get you a 2500 sq foot house, new SUV every year and vacations in Hawaii.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

SMH.

Lots of poor rich folk.

Know lots who go on a spending spree before their first check of the new raise comes in. 

20 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Lots of poor rich folk.

Know lots who go on a spending spree before their first check of the new raise comes in. 

I see it right under my own roof. Son is a saver and has a nice bank account. Daughter spends every penny on clothes. I just can’t get thru to the girl! :lol: