Check your account email address ×

Diamonds are a Girls best Friend

Amazing how the diamond industry has sucked many men into feeling guilty and convinced them that when they buy a diamond, it has to be X times their monthly salary to meet the status quo. Personally, when we started out, we decided to spend the cash on furniture and appliance for our new home, instead of buying an expensive stupid piece of rock that sits in a safe or jewlery box  99 % of the time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Amazing how the diamond industry has sucked many men into feeling guilty and convinced them that when they buy a diamond, it has to be X times their monthly salary to meet the status quo. Personally, when we started out, we decided to spend the cash on furniture and appliance for our new home, instead of buying an expensive stupid piece of rock that sits in a safe or jewlery box  99 % of the time.

Debeers has such a monopoly on the diamond industry that they control all of the supply. Otherwise they would be basically worthless outside of industrial uses. 

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

My wife wears hers every day actually I am not sure she can take it off :lmao: 

My buddy spent $12k on his fiance's engagement ring, I spent $12k on a new sled instead and told the ol lady she can pack her shit and git if that is what she is gonna expect. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My wife might have a total of $7500 in jewelry of which almost half is the engagement/wedding ring.   I told her I refuse to buy her any more expensive jewelry long ago and spend it on other more usable items.   She totally agreed.  We actually don't spend shit on each other for bdays, xmas, anniversaries or vday.   Put the money towards our home/property and recreational toys.  It adds up and when we were younger and had tighter budgets it made a difference.  

• Like 1

When I was married I had a titanium engagement band and wore it most of the time. Took it off to work in the garage though. Later, when I wasn't married, I would occasional wear it out to the bar and pick up the scandalous women

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Same on both.  

same,  I last wore a band maybe 4 years into my marriage and not since. Hated it.  

10 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

My buddy spent $12k on his fiance's engagement ring, I spent $12k on a new sled instead and told the ol lady she can pack her shit and git if that is what she is gonna expect. :lol:

bunch of us got engaged at work over a 2 year window.  became a contest to see who could spend more.  after one of my coworkers spend like 30 grand right before i popped the question I said fuck that and went small.  I spent maybe a weeks salary on it.  

• Like 1

We were already in our house.

I spent less than a week's salary on her ring and she spent $250.00 on her dress.  She looked amazing in both. 

I took her to Europe for 3 weeks on a honeymoon and we paid for most of our own wedding. 

I don't wear mine except at other weddings.  

17 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

same,  I last wore a band maybe 4 years into my marriage and not since. Hated it.  

bunch of us got engaged at work over a 2 year window.  became a contest to see who could spend more.  after one of my coworkers spend like 30 grand right before i popped the question I said fuck that and went small.  I spent maybe a weeks salary on it.  

Thats nuckin' futz, cant even imagine dropping almost my house downpayment and closing costs on a ring. :lol:

I wonder how many out of all those guys are divorced now too? :bc:

5 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Thats nuckin' futz, cant even imagine dropping almost my house downpayment and closing costs on a ring. :lol:

I wonder how many out of all those guys are divorced now too? :bc:

We were all making good bank when it was going on but I could not stomach spending 2 months salary.  Think i spend 3 grand on the wifes.  

2 out of 5 of us are still married so i guess there was 1 happy marriage.  the one who spent the most used to introduce his wife as his middle wife,  had one before and at least one more coming and of course that happened.   

My wife's ring was $3200, purchased from Blue Nile.  Refused to pay jewelry store markups.  Bought good quality diamonds, ideal cut, high clarity, etc.  Platinum band.  No wedding band.  Mine was $100 plus another $30 or so for engraving.  

We spent the week at Sandals in Jamaica with our immediate families.

48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

We were all making good bank when it was going on but I could not stomach spending 2 months salary.  Think i spend 3 grand on the wifes.  

2 out of 5 of us are still married so i guess there was 1 happy marriage.  the one who spent the most used to introduce his wife as his middle wife,  had one before and at least one more coming and of course that happened.   

I spent about 6K on the wife's ring.  Only one of my long term buddies is divorced.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

I spent less than a week's salary on her ring and she spent $250.00 on her dress.  She looked amazing in both. 

I took her to Europe for 3 weeks on a honeymoon and we paid for most of our own wedding. 

Let me guess "pay for your own booze" wedding.:lol:

• Haha 1

Ive got a nice diamond for myself. Yrs ago I was dating a chic for a few yrs and she said " you should be thinking about buying a diamond" Not sure why but I said what the hell and went out and bought myself one.

Current wifes was about $1000. She picked it out .

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I spent about 6K on the wife's ring.  Only one of my long term buddies is divorced.

Id say more than half of mine are divorced, including myself (on 2nd marriage). I tell all of my nephews and friends kids to NOT get married before they are at least 27. 

2 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Id say more than half of mine are divorced, including myself (on 2nd marriage). I tell all of my nephews and friends kids to NOT get married before they are at least 27. 

yep. I only have 3 friends who are not divorced.

4 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

i tell everyone to just not get married, fuck that shit.  

5 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Id say more than half of mine are divorced, including myself (on 2nd marriage). I tell all of my nephews and friends kids to NOT get married before they are at least 27

Great advice.  We all got married around 30.

3 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

My wife went with my now MIL to buy a dress. The one she wanted was $100 on clearance. The alterations cost more than the dress.