Check your account email address ×

Are your lakes up?

Our lake has been gaining level for a couple of years now. This spring it's the highest I've seen it in a decade. Anyone else noticing a rise in lake levels?

The posts on this permanent section of  dock were on shore last fall.

signal-2018-05-08-194104.jpg

Just now, motonoggin said:

Our lake has been gaining level for a couple of years now. This spring it's the highest I've seen it in a decade. Anyone else noticing a rise in lake levels?

The posts on this permanent section of  dock were on shore last fall.

signal-2018-05-08-194104.jpg

Dam controlled??? Mine is

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

No, it's just a pothole lake. No in or out on the surface. Spring fed.

Yes lakes are up and have been for a while. Our lake in MN is 140 acres and spring fed and it goes up and down. Been up for a while

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes lakes are up and have been for a while. Our lake in MN is 140 acres and spring fed and it goes up and down. Been up for a while

It's weird because it's really been a low precipitation winter here. But the lake is up more this year than it was last. 

Gotta be something geological going on 

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

It's weird because it's really been a low precipitation winter here. But the lake is up more this year than it was last. 

Spring fed lakes are highly dependent on the water table. The great lakes have been up and rising for long time. That could be impacting it 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

No, it's just a pothole lake. No in or out on the surface. Spring fed.

Youvtalking about spring levels or consistently rising levels throughout the season?

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

You had some decent late winter / early spring storms in your area. Hell they were still skiing at Boyne Mountain last week.

I saw that and we got drenched with rain last week.

15 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Youvtalking about spring levels or consistently rising levels throughout the season?

Just spring levels, although it didn't drop as much as it normally does throughout the summer last year.

26 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

You had some decent late winter / early spring storms in your area. Hell they were still skiing at Boyne Mountain last week.

Yeah but that's all man made snow

Trump is draining the swamp, so lakes will be up.....LOL

Urban and rural sprawl is bound to cause this.  Whether you are putting in drain tile on a field or putting in blacktop for a new parking lot,  they all are responsible for getting water to drain more quickly.

Edited by racer254

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Urban and rural sprawl is bound to cause this.  Whether you are putting in drain tile on a field or putting in blacktop for a new parking lot,  they all are responsible for getting water to drain more quickly.

It's all pretty much undeveloped land. No new construction or drainage projects.

15 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

It's all pretty much undeveloped land. No new construction or drainage projects.

Well, we go to an undeveloped area in Canada every year and it's amazing to watch the water levels deviate.    I remember one year, the beavers were able to raise a lake 5+ feet, just in one year.

23 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Climate is causing it, @jammin 's lake was way down several years ago in a very concerning way due to drought like conditions, it is now up I'm guessing 10' since then and Jammin can clarify. His lake is a drainage lake and it's rain and snow that have caused it to rise. Hey John perhaps you can post up some before and after pics.

Also @f7ben made an excellent point about the water table of the Great Lakes.

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

Any higher elevation logging going on? We farm up in the hills and when they log above where we farm the springs get much more active 

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Climate is causing it, @jammin 's lake was way down several years ago in a very concerning way due to drought like conditions, it is now up I'm guessing 10' since then and Jammin can clarify. His lake is a drainage lake and it's rain and snow that have caused it to rise. Hey John perhaps you can post up some before and after pics.

Also @f7ben made an excellent point about the water table of the Great Lakes.

Climate has caused this since the earth began.  DUH

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Well, we go to an undeveloped area in Canada every year and it's amazing to watch the water levels deviate.    I remember one year, the beavers were able to raise a lake 5+ feet, just in one year.

Your mentality is that it was cold in my backyard two weeks ago so climate change is all bullshit..............after all it must be the beavers :lol:

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Any higher elevation logging going on? We farm up in the hills and when they log above where we farm the springs get much more active 

Yeah they did some select cutting about 1/4 mile away. 

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Your mentality is that it was cold in my backyard two weeks ago so climate change is all bullshit..............after all it must be the beavers :lol:

I am not going to go down into a snowrider level with this.  We all know climate causes changes over decades.  Year to Year changes can be a wide range of factors.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Spring fed lakes are highly dependent on the water table. The great lakes have been up and rising for long time. That could be impacting it 

Lake Ontario this past August. Up probably 3 ft in the last year.

IMG_20170714_164659660.jpg

2 minutes ago, F3600 said:

We're controlled on a fixed dam, i wish we could get a permanent 6 inch rise, it would certainly help getting the boat off the lift come mid-summer.

Same here.....from October to end of April my dock is high and dry. Starting May 1 they start filling the lake back up.