Check your account email address ×

Birdhouse

Just now, spin_dry said:

Yep. Part of my weekend project. 

We generally leave a couple of feeders up all winter, but we were not her for 4 months so the birds had to eat elsewhere. We also have a lot of perennials that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. 

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

We're all real fucking proud of ya! Congratulations on your Popsicle stick bird house! :lol:

What kinds of birds you get local there?

Mostly finches. I sent all the blackbirds over to Amherst Steve’s neighborhood. 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

We actually left ours up and stocked them all winter.  Had a surprising amount of activity. Lots of woodpeckers.  Picking up big time now.  Cats are thrilled!  Fuckers!  

Our cats probably bring a bird in the house once a month or more. I have ducks in my pool right now too. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Our cats probably bring a bird in the house once a month or more. I have ducks in my pool right now too. :lol:

Yeah, I’ve tasked our cats with getting rid of the fucking mole rats that destroyed my yard this winter. They find the birds more challenging though.  It’s rare when they catch one.  

We get the same pair of ducks mating and nesting in our pond every year.  Just saw them back yesterday...at least I think it was them.  They got spooked so they may have been some imposters.  We feed them cracked corn right on the shore.  They aren’t a fan of the cats or dogs so they don’t get too brave.

Last year’s brood:

6EA98330-C7F7-445C-AEF5-E076A4377C77.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

why do you pull them in the winter that is when they need them most 

We weren't here Sept. thru the middle of January, otherwise we have kept the feeders filled.

We get goldfinches, cardinals, blue jays, downy woodpeckers, red headed woodpeckers, bluebirds, rose breasted grosbeaks, chickadees, red polls, and a lot of hummingbirds, I make sure the starlings and cowbirds aren't welcome.

8 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Mostly finches. I sent all the blackbirds over to Amherst Steve’s neighborhood. 

We have a couple feeders, including one for humming birds, and a nice granite bird bath.  Amazing range of birds splash around in it, and we have to fill it every day.  I dont know beans about birds, but its very relaxing to sit out there and watch them play around in it.

We leave ours up all year too. Lots of action . We usually get some strange birds once in a while ,but a neighbours laying hen broke into the yard and took up residence in our delapatated wood pile :lol:

20180427_173933.jpg

20180427_173900.jpg

9 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

We weren't here Sept. thru the middle of January, otherwise we have kept the feeders filled.

We get goldfinches, cardinals, blue jays, downy woodpeckers, red headed woodpeckers, bluebirds, rose breasted grosbeaks, chickadees, red polls, and a lot of hummingbirds, I make sure the starlings and cowbirds aren't welcome.

We only see the redpolls here every 3rd or 4th winter. Haven't see them for a few years now.

9 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Don't feed hummingbirds that dyed Kool aid shit. The dye is killing them 

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Just mix your own sugar water.

4 parts water to 1 part surgar. No coloring needed.

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The hummers should show here any day now

There should be some in your neighborhood already :bc:

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

We only see the redpolls here every 3rd or 4th winter. Haven't see them for a few years now.

4 parts water to 1 part surgar. No coloring needed.

There should be some in your neighborhood already :bc:

Have yet to see a robin this yr. :(

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Been here for a month now and they were here for a few snowstorms in April, maybe that slowed them down going up north :dunno: 

A lot died in that last snowstorm

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

A lot died in that last snowstorm

Being worm eaters it had to be very rough for them with that deep snow 200 miles north of Chicago, I don't think we lost any near me as I have not seen any corpses and I usually have at least a dozen robins feeding in my front yard early and late in the day, have four out there right now.