Check your account email address ×

Dow 26,000:

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Actually the trade dispute hasn't hurt stock prices that much.   Markets use to like when govt power was divided.   Its become so divisive now they don't.  Add in the thoughts where growth is peaking, rising interest rates and quantitative tightening and you have a tough market to navigate.  

Apple disagrees.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, 1jkw said:

Apple disagrees.

Apple has problems other than tariffs.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

Apple has problems other than tariffs.  

So do many companies, GM claimed the tariffs cost them over a billion. The world market has slowed due to the tarrifs.

2 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

So do many companies, GM claimed the tariffs cost them over a billion. The world market has slowed due to the tarrifs.

Markets react quickly and they had nice gains even after the tariffs were announced.  

Just now, Highmark said:

Markets react quickly and they had nice gains even after the tariffs were announced.  

Yes there was a rush of orders to beat the tariff starting dates.

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

There was and it caused a rise in the market due to high GDP. Lets see what the 4th qu. GDP is and see how the market reacts.

Link?   You do realize sales are not reported that quickly right?  

Tell me one thing you rushed out an bought because of the tariffs?  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Link?   You do realize sales are not reported that quickly right?  

Tell me one thing you rushed out an bought because of the tariffs?  :lol:  

You can Google it yourself.  The rush to buy soybeans ahead of the tariffs helped drive up GDP, and that boosted the market.

No quarter before or after has been that high.

The only thing I try to buy ahead is gas and diesel, if I feel the price will rise dramatically.

Just now, 1jkw said:

You can Google it yourself.  The rush to buy soybeans ahead of the tariffs helped drive up GDP, and that boosted the market.

No quarter before or after has been that high.

The only thing I try to buy ahead is gas and diesel, if I feel the price will rise dramatically.

You think any rush to export soybeans had an impact on GDP?   :lol:   Fuck dude come on.  

I won't debate a few things like soybeans had a slight spike but it didn't have any significant impact on GDP.   The entire soybean export market to China is around $12 billion a year.   Want the percentage of our $19 trillion GDP that is?

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You think any rush to export soybeans had an impact on GDP?   :lol:   Fuck dude come on.  

I won't debate a few things like soybeans had a slight spike but it didn't have any significant impact on GDP.   The entire soybean export market to China is around $12 billion a year.   Want the percentage of our $19 trillion GDP that is?

There are many articles on it. I'm sure steel and aluminum orders were increased ahead also.

The tax breaks are still in effect, unemployment low, wages up, What do you attribute the 4.2 GDP to?

55 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

There are many articles on it. I'm sure steel and aluminum orders were increased ahead also.

The tax breaks are still in effect, unemployment low, wages up, What do you attribute the 4.2 GDP to?

1. Economies ebb and flow and while tax rates and changes in regulation help or hurt there will be rises and declines with or without them.  Our economy has enough free market basis where govt can't completely control it with the things they currently do.   

2. Tax breaks, low unemployment, wages up, consumer confidence, business confidence and still low interest rates.

3. We still have a ton of hard working mofo's in this country who will bust their ass for their family and workers.    

Markets are much quicker reacting to anything and everything.   Millions can sell or buy at the push of a button.   Add in all the auto trading that goes on today and you have markets that fluctuate more.   How else does one explain all the sharp rises and falls.   Everyone is in a panic yet a few days ago we had the largest single day gain in market history.  

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

1. Economies ebb and flow and while tax rates and changes in regulation help or hurt there will be rises and declines with or without them.  Our economy has enough free market basis where govt can't completely control it with the things they currently do.   

2. Tax breaks, low unemployment, wages up, consumer confidence, business confidence and still low interest rates.

3. We still have a ton of hard working mofo's in this country who will bust their ass for their family and workers.    

Many things shape the economy and the markets for sure.

In May there was a huge rise in US exports ahead of tariffs, and that pushed the GDP up, and in turn pushed the market up.  Despite all the other good news in your point #2 where is GDP now?

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

Many things shape the economy and the markets for sure.

In May there was a huge rise in US exports ahead of tariffs, and that pushed the GDP up, and in turn pushed the market up.  Despite all the other good news in your point #2 where is GDP now?

4th quarter is still expected near 3%.   No way to measure and there wasn't a significant change in our trade balance this year.   Its gotten worse because of the strength of the dollar. 

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

4th quarter is still expected near 3%.   No way to measure and there wasn't a significant change in our trade balance this year.   Its gotten worse because of the strength of the dollar. 

1.2% or more lower expected in the 4th, then the 2nd, the 2nd was 2.2% larger then the first. And yes you can measure the trade imbalance and it was at its lowest in May, sparked by increased buying ahead of the tariffs. Google it yourself.

28 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

1.2% or more lower expected in the 4th, then the 2nd, the 2nd was 2.2% larger then the first. And yes you can measure the trade imbalance and it was at its lowest in May, sparked by increased buying ahead of the tariffs. Google it yourself.

So given your thought process when it hit a 5 year high the other way in Aug it hurt GDP?   Google it yourself.  

Again the % change was not significant in terms of GDP.   We are talking swings of less than $20 billion. 

Edited by Highmark