Check your account email address ×

Eagle River Derby Weekend

44 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Derby weekend January 20th-22nd, I'm thinking about heading up on the 19th basing in Land O in town right between Brews Pub and the Gateway, short ride to the Black Oak, mix of trail and off trail, ride into ER for Friday Night Thunder.

theres places to ride off trail in vilas county??

they get enough snow in vilas county to ride off trail??

58 minutes ago, bussman said:

I'll be in the Lakewood area the following weekend but let me try and join you on this one. :bc: 

I will be talking to you :bc: 

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

theres places to ride off trail in vilas county??

they get enough snow in vilas county to ride off trail??

They get enough snow in Vilas for sure especially in the western parts of the county but there is not much off trail, but right across the border is the Ottawa National Forest which is 1550 square miles of how deep do you want to go into the boonies fun, I've done trips where we brought a chainsaw with :lol: 

On 12/8/2016 at 8:45 AM, Mainecat said:

Always wanted to go. I might next winter when I am retired!

It's an event that all sledders should do at least once.

On 12/8/2016 at 8:53 AM, Roosting said:

Hey come by the race trailer if you go. I'll be there trying for the repeat.

And what trailer might that be?

Eagle River 2012 016.jpg

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's an event that all sledders should do at least once.

And what trailer might that be?

Eagle River 2012 016.jpg

Eagle River isn't what it used to be, it's been dying lately. The late 70's, 80's and early 90's it was hopping. Look at the fans in the vid at :32, lots of standing room on the bank. The times we went in the late 80's early 90's it was shoulder to shoulder with fans.

Edited by snoughnut

10 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Eagle River isn't what it used to be, it's been dying lately. The late 70's, 80's and early 90's it was hopping. Look at the fans in the vid at :32, lots of standing room on the bank. The times we went in the late 80's early 90's it was shoulder to shoulder with fans.

Watching sleds (or cars or whatever) ride around in circles is entertaining for about 30 seconds. I like watching snow cross and drag racing but that gets pretty boring too after about 5 minutes. With the prices of these new sleds nowadays I just don't think as many people can afford the Monday sales like they used to. 

45 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Yeah last time I went was late 90s, and it was still pretty packed then. But I have heard not many people go anymore.

I have been going every year and I've seen the steady decline firsthand - even the last 10 years.   The death of oem stock class racing leaves you seeing some classes now with 3 or 4 entrants in a final.   Champ440 numbers are down too - maybe 18 last year.   Several top drivers now retired - luckily some good young drivers are racing.  I think the TLR $$ is helping as is an effort to promote 120 class racing but the sport has been in serious decline.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I have been going every year and I've seen the steady decline firsthand - even the last 10 years.   The death of oem stock class racing leaves you seeing some classes now with 3 or 4 entrants in a final.   Champ440 numbers are down too - maybe 18 last year.   Several top drivers now retired - luckily some good young drivers are racing.  I think the TLR $$ is helping as is an effort to promote 120 class racing but the sport has been in serious decline.

The class that was my favorite was Formula III back in the late 80's, early 90's with guys like Guy Useldinger, Mike Houle and Tim Bender to name a few. Those guys were fun to watch, the problem was with these teams running heavily modded 600+ cc's, the track could no longer hold the speeds these guys were running and they eliminated the class. It's never fun unless they're running on the ragged edge :lol:, man the sound of some of those triples was music to the ears.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

The class that was my favorite was Formula III back in the late 80's, early 90's with guys like Guy Useldinger, Mike Houle and Tim Bender to name a few. Those guys were fun to watch, the problem was with these teams running heavily modded 600+ cc's, the track could no longer hold the speeds these guys were running and they eliminated the class. It's never fun unless they're running on the ragged edge :lol:, man the sound of some of those triples was music to the ears.

My dad went every year from around 74' until the early 80's. 

I remember as a kid watching Jim Dimmerman set up the clutching on my dad's 81' Tiger 6000 and thinking a god was touching it. Sled did beat all the other 6000's he rode with so he did something right.  lol

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just spent the last week in Land O' Lakes with the family and conditions were fair to good and very good in the back country, the wife and I rode up to the Keweenaw today and will be circling back to the the Eagle River area later this week.

Conditions for Derby weekend should be excellent for trail riding and excursions off trail in the Ottawa National Forest, I'll guide or follow :bc:   

Best memories as a kid was when we had the winter carnival down at the lake. Huge turnout.  We ran a Z sled and a EXT in modified. We would get there at like 6;00 in the morning and stay until dark.  I thought it was greatest thing in the world, the loud sleds, race gas in the air.   Mid 70's to early 80's were a great time to be in the sport.  Things started to die out near the late 80's.  lawsuits, bad winters, crack down on drinking,.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Best memories as a kid was when we had the winter carnival down at the lake. Huge turnout.  We ran a Z sled and a EXT in modified. We would get there at like 6;00 in the morning and stay until dark.  I thought it was greatest thing in the world, the loud sleds, race gas in the air.   Mid 70's to early 80's were a great time to be in the sport.  Things started to die out near the late 80's.  lawsuits, bad winters, crack down on drinking,.   

The last good all day winter party left in MI is the Soo I - 500. Sadly here in MI the St. Iggy car shows , Grand Marais 500 mile winter run , Paradise winter carnival were all scaled way back or killed off with  heavy handed decisions.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2016 at 6:05 AM, Kevin said:

DP

Edited by racinfarmer

On 12/11/2016 at 6:05 AM, Kevin said:

The long and short of it - they have too many damn classes and it cost too much.

Just because 2 guys drag out some Masters 40-42 Pre-85 Post-82 Super Mod 7 440 1 Cylinder Fan Sprint 4 Super Stock Limted class sled once a year doesn't mean it should have its own class.

Edited by racinfarmer

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The long and short of it - they have too many damn classes and it cost too much.

Just because 2 guys drag out some Masters 40-42 Pre-85 Post-82 Super Mod 7 440 1 Cylinder Fan Sprint 4 Super Stock Limted class sled once a year doesn't mean it should have its own class.

:lol: