Check your account email address ×

FSCE BOAT THREAD!!!

Bought this checkmate starflite about 6 weeks ago thinking I’d be laid off all summer. Got called back to work early but I’ve been having a blast with the boat. Burned about 100 gallons of gas through it so far. 

A8F8CAE4-7CEF-4226-B2F7-E22F76D3B1FC.jpeg

C9866FA9-54CD-435A-9061-9B1478E33303.jpeg

E37D93BB-BFF0-4B25-BC43-ED661C80D761.jpeg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Nice! 👍

It’s a solid dry hull , decent shape. I’ve already rewired everything and cleaned up that mess. Replaced shitty cable steering with a proper hydraulic setup. I’ve got a hydraulic jackplate to add to the manual one but I need to reroute steering lines first. With more setback and running the motor a little higher I’m hoping to hit 70 gps. Best so far is 63-64. 

19 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Good motor but thirsty.

I was actually surprised how far I can make it on a tank. Myself a 3 other big dudes went 55 miles the other night and used 23 gallons of gas. I figure it was burning 20-21gph at wot which is damn good for what it is. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Nice boat and glad you’re back to work. :thumbsup:

Thanks jimmy

Just now, BOHICA said:

God damn that is some white privledge right there!  Unemployed, new boat....

I sold the beemer and put half the money into the house and the other half on the boat lol

• Gold Member

Nothing says white privileged like selling a beemer and putting some into a house that you own and some into a new boat all the while being unemployed... 

black people definetly don’t have that luxury

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member
53 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It’s a solid dry hull , decent shape. I’ve already rewired everything and cleaned up that mess. Replaced shitty cable steering with a proper hydraulic setup. I’ve got a hydraulic jackplate to add to the manual one but I need to reroute steering lines first. With more setback and running the motor a little higher I’m hoping to hit 70 gps. Best so far is 63-64. 

Nice!  :thumb: 

That's pretty much the idea I have in my head for an another boat here to go along with the pontoon. How much to get into something like that? I want something small, fun and fast. 65-70 is about all I can do here without freaking out some of the others on the lake.

17 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Nice!  :thumb: 

That's pretty much the idea I have in my head for an another boat here to go along with the pontoon. How much to get into something like that? I want something small, fun and fast. 65-70 is about all I can do here without freaking out some of the others on the lake.

I gave 4K for the boat motor and trailer. It was mostly water worthy but needed lipstick and setup. The motor is worth close to what I paid so it was basically a free boat and trailer. I’ve got $350 into a prop that’s very close to what this boat needs

I also bought an older hydrostream and parted it out. I broke even cash wise and got the steering and the jackplate for free and I’d say those were worth $1200. I think I could sell the boat pretty easily for about 6k now but I’ll be keeping it another few seasons. We’ve been having a blast running around on lake Vermillion and I’d love to move up to a 24’ twin outboard. Either something like a progression 24ld or maybe a tunnel cat like a skater. 

Im just getting experience with setup and driving. Eventually I’d like a much faster boat. 

Edited by f7ben

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I gave 4K for the boat motor and trailer. It was mostly water worthy but needed lipstick and setup. The motor is worth close to what I paid so it was basically a free boat and trailer. I’ve got $350 into a prop that’s very close to what this boat needs

I also bought an older hydrostream and parted it out. I broke even cash wise and got the steering and the jackplate for free and I’d say those were worth $1200. I think I could sell the boat pretty easily for about 6k now but I’ll be keeping it another few seasons. We’ve been having a blast running around on lake Vermillion and I’d love to move up to a 24’ twin outboard. Either something like a progression 24ld or maybe a tunnel cat like a skater. 

Im just getting experience with setup and driving. Eventually I’d like a much faster boat. 

This might be my new toy over the winter to try and find then. At 6K, it does good speed and can put a few people in is perfect. Upgrading the Sea Doo's would be a lot more $ and trusting inexperienced riders on them makes me really nervous. The ones I have now are low 50's and that's too much for some.

21 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

This might be my new toy over the winter to try and find then. At 6K, it does good speed and can put a few people in is perfect. Upgrading the Sea Doo's would be a lot more $ and trusting inexperienced riders on them makes me really nervous. The ones I have now are low 50's and that's too much for some.

The checkmates are built very well and don’t experience the core rotting issues most boats did. The starflite and starliner are the same hull with the latter being an open bow. The enchanter was very similar but it has a small pad and slightly shallower deadrise. The pulsare is the newer version of these hulls. 

Mine is a starflite closed bow. Can comfortably fit 5 large adults or 4 and 2 kids pretty easy. It handles 12-18” chop very well and is pretty easy to drive. 

If you shop around 6-7k should find you a pretty nice example of a late 80s early 90s boat

There was just a 97 pulsare open bow listed in the UP for 7k with a 200 rude on it. Looked pretty clean but sold fast

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

Well I am shocked.....Toucan Ben bought a boat and actually put it in the water.

I also bought a shit ton of 3.0 looper parts and am having Monty racing build me a motor lol

I picked up this 1999 Chapparal 183 four years ago. It was a one owner boat and prettywell immaculate. It has the 4.3 and not bad on fuel and gets up on plane pretty quick even with 4-6 of us in it. I keep it at my buddies dock all season which is 10-12 min from home. 

20190615_155558.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

what kind of tards do you have hanging out.  at 10 my son was riding a 60 mph gtx di by himself.   at 5-6 i'd let him leave the dock in our boat drive us around the lake and back to the dock.  

Good to hear that you’re back to work. My buddy that works in cars had to cut back to two days a week. There’s virtually no vehicle inventory at auctions. He’s working building tiny homes out of of one use shipping containers. Apparently the market is red hot. A fair amount of people I know are changing careers.