Check your account email address ×

Roy Halladay dies in plane crash.

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

f7ben does not like this

I thought about you when I read the story. I lived near Pontiac airport (one of the busiest airports in the country for small planes) for 15 years and saw 3 of those little planes go down in that time. I’m sure there was more. Seems like risky business to me. RIP.

15 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I thought about you when I read the story. I lived near Pontiac airport (one of the busiest airports in the country for small planes) for 15 years and saw 3 of those little planes go down in that time. I’m sure there was more. Seems like risky business to me. RIP.

GA is countless times safer than riding in a car if I recall correctly .....statistically speaking of course 

Well a quick look at the stats and it seems that GA may not be countless times safer than auto travel

If you consider miles traveled which is how they rate auto stats....million miles traveled or MMT

Apply those same functions to GA travel and it seems the small plane is marginally safer or maybe on par with car travel etc

Let me revise this again......seems after more careful study of the hours and numbers it is much more safe to travel in a car than in a small plane.

I am surprised by this.......the GA fatal rate last year was 1.3 deaths per 100,000 hours flown. Figure an average of 150mph which might be low but either way. We'll use that

That is 1.3 deaths for every 15,000,000 miles traveled

That accident rate for autos in the US was 1.13 deaths for every 100 million miles traveled.  Or .17 deaths per 15,000,000 miles traveled

That means traveling by car is 7.6x safer than by GA

Of course the GA stats include all experimental and powered parachutes etc etc etc. Not sure how that impacts the stats

Yup , crashed in his light sport LSA ......I would bet the report shows an in flight structural failure. Just a guess. He was over water and even an engine failure would have let him land safely.

This is not good for Icon ......they have had basically a disastrous 10 years after promising and marketing the next best thing in LSA ....really too bad

Not that it matters but hopefully Roy had a medical issue and his pilot skills and the A5 will be absolved of any responsibility here 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

lol that was the first thing I thought of . ben up there shitting him self on the way down 

he was in a flying boat......the first certified spin proof aircraft if I recall correctly. According to flight testing it was completely benign as far as handling characteristics flies at fairly low speeds. Either that plane had a structural failure or he had a medical issue. That would be my best guess which aint worth much obviously 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Well a quick look at the stats and it seems that GA may not be countless times safer than auto travel

If you consider miles traveled which is how they rate auto stats....million miles traveled or MMT

Apply those same functions to GA travel and it seems the small plane is marginally safer or maybe on par with car travel etc

If you want to fly planes , Ben , then go fly planes , don't even read that shit , life is short .  :bc:

Just now, Sal Rosenberg said:

If you want to fly planes , Ben , then go fly planes , don't even read that shit , life is short .  :bc:

Oh that doesnt matter to me at all. I trust my ability to operate almost anything safely if that is what I am after. The risk of flying doesnt even cross my mind 

23 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Oh that doesnt matter to me at all. I trust my ability to operate almost anything safely if that is what I am after. The risk of flying doesnt even cross my mind 

I thought about it many times as I passed the flight school everyday on my way to work. Two of my neighbors were pilots and flew out of there. Flying your own plane would definitely be cool. :bc: 

34 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

"The risk of flying doesn't even cross my mind".....yeah this should all end well.

I dont think the risk of sinking his buddys sled crossed his mind  

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Off M  59?

I was just at the Pontiac lake inn last week.