Check your account email address ×

Roy Halladay dies in plane crash.

I read this morning that there were data recorders in his plan, but no voice recorders. Hopefully they help to solve the mystery.

I think we have a bunch of pilots on here, and even a plane crash investigator.

It would be interesting to hear there feelings about this self induced crash. Hey Poncho, are you out there ? What do you think about this one ?  

• Platinum Contributing Member

This reminded of a crash that happened here a few years back...Anithesiologist  flying a Bonanza and it was his second crash...not lucky in the second one...his son survived fed both of them but the second left him without parents. Pilot error. I just reread the article and the first crash killed his other two kids and his first wife...what a fucking idiot.

That's my BIL in the picture.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/report_outlines_what_caused_sm.html

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Fucking guy killed two wives, two kids and himself  because he was an idiot....SMH.

Well he was obviously a smart guy being an anesthesiologist but he had no business flying that plane 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Well he was obviously a smart guy being an anesthesiologist but he had no business flying that plane 

Yeah they don't hand out those degrees to any dumbfuck but you would think he would have hung it up after the first crash. 

On 11/8/2017 at 6:38 PM, f7ben said:

I would bet there are very few people that will be able to answer that question. NTSB will say pilot error and its clear that is the case. At least that is some validation for Icon and the A5. 

I'm not familiar with Halladay at all as a person not having really ever watched him play or followed his career. Either way , he died doing what he loved and I aint going to judge him for that. 

Not the most athletic players to watch, but very meticulous.  One of the most "focused" pitchers i've ever seen on a mound.  I mean a guy hired to do a job, and taking every little detail into account to do said job to perfection.  That's how i'd describe him from watching him over the years.  Giving them their money's worth (if that's really possible in today's baseball salaries)  and then some.

Edited by hayward

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah they don't hand out those degrees to any dumbfuck but you would think he would have hung it up after the first crash. 

That looks like an A36 or a Deb ....not renowned for low speed handling characteristics......why would a guy fly at the edge of the envelope to the point he lets a stall develop that close to the ground. Just dumb 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Look how many times Indiana Jones has had flight mishaps.  Just can't quit, can he?

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That looks like an A36 or a Deb ....not renowned for low speed handling characteristics......why would a guy fly at the edge of the envelope to the point he lets a stall develop that close to the ground. Just dumb 

Yeah and he didn't follow protocol after the missed approach which lead to the crash.

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I am not saying this is the case with this incident but I see it all the time where people are super smart, book/school wise, but lack common sense or reasonable thinking. It surprises me as, like you guys, we think these types are pretty smart, which they are, but they are definitely lacking in some other areas for some reason. 

12 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

I read this morning that there were data recorders in his plan, but no voice recorders. Hopefully they help to solve the mystery.

I think we have a bunch of pilots on here, and even a plane crash investigator.

It would be interesting to hear there feelings about this self induced crash. Hey Poncho, are you out there ? What do you think about this one ?  

Poncho has commented in this Ontario thread. His friend is doing the investigation, but I guess that doesn't guarantee we will ever find out the whole story?

Not sure why I am having troubles posting the link? Poncho's comments are in there if you want to look, as is the TMZ vid. 

Edited by irv

Piloting a plane is serious business.  If you don't fly at least 40 hrs per year your skills deteriorate and your chance of a crash goes up.  If you fly more than 60hrs per year then you increase your chances for a crash because of the additional time in flight plus the extra take off and landings.  Flying increases your chances of death.  That is a fact.  

There are no old bold pilots.  Showing off and taking chances is a sure way to die in a small plane.  Throw in some foul weather and your chances for a crash go up even more.  

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah and he didn't follow protocol after the missed approach which lead to the crash.

Ahhh , he was on a go around. That makes alot more sense. That is a tense situation and mistakes happen a lot. There is a list of things you need to do in pretty quick order , a pretty high workload for the pilot in a short amount of time. 

Decide to abort , full throttle , get the gear up , get the flaps up once you are climbing and have enough ground clearance , control speed and climb with ailerons and if you need to turn out it has to be shallow enough to not get to close to the stall 

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Piloting a plane is serious business.  If you don't fly at least 40 hrs per year your skills deteriorate and your chance of a crash goes up.  If you fly more than 60hrs per year then you increase your chances for a crash because of the additional time in flight plus the extra take off and landings.  Flying increases your chances of death.  That is a fact.  

There are no old bold pilots.  Showing off and taking chances is a sure way to die in a small plane.  Throw in some foul weather and your chances for a crash go up even more.  

seems to me familiarity , proficiency and adherence to the POH are a pretty basic outline for not dying in a plane ....add to that a fairly conservative no go criteria and you can have a long full life of flying ...

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

seems to me familiarity , proficiency and adherence to the POH are a pretty basic outline for not dying in a plane ....add to that a fairly conservative no go criteria and you can have a long full life of flying ...

Oh for sure but airplanes are inherently dangerous.  They are expensive too which causes people on a budget to cut corners or buy a plane that may have airworthiness issues.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Oh for sure but airplanes are inherently dangerous.  They are expensive too which causes people on a budget to cut corners or buy a plane that may have airworthiness issues.  

It sure seems that people should prioritize working on emergency procedures and staying sharp etc. Something as simple as raising the flaps without enough elevation and airspeed could have done this guy in the Bo in. I was shocked how much elevation it costs to go from full flaps to 0 all together. 

16 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Ahhh , he was on a go around. That makes alot more sense. That is a tense situation and mistakes happen a lot. There is a list of things you need to do in pretty quick order , a pretty high workload for the pilot in a short amount of time. 

Decide to abort , full throttle , get the gear up , get the flaps up once you are climbing and have enough ground clearance , control speed and climb with ailerons and if you need to turn out it has to be shallow enough to not get to close to the stall 

Missed instrument approach and he was supposed to climb to 3000 feet and hold...instead he tried some  low altitude maneuver and attempted to land on the same runway from the opposite direction. Didn't maintain enough airspeed and boom.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Missed instrument approach and he was supposed to climb to 3000 feet and hold...instead he tried some  low altitude maneuver and attempted to land on the same runway from the opposite direction. Didn't maintain enough airspeed and boom.

Even worse...IMC

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Fucking guy killed two wives, two kids and himself  because he was an idiot....SMH.

I remember that story. They still gave the kid Austin a basketball scholarship even though he was not 100% back from his injuries. I think they made him a team manager after 1 year and let him keep the scholarship

14 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I remember that story. They still gave the kid Austin a basketball scholarship even though he was not 100% back from his injuries. I think they made him a team manager after 1 year and let him keep the scholarship

Yeah and good on them...poor kid survived two plane crashes and saw his whole family get killed.

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

Final report released today...one of F7Bens paper charts got stuck in the carb inlet box and choked out the engine....sad.......

I have been warning everyone to ditch their paper sectionals....they are dangerous

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, irv said:

Poncho has commented in this Ontario thread. His friend is doing the investigation, but I guess that doesn't guarantee we will ever find out the whole story?

sure why I am having troubles posting the link? Poncho's comments are in there if you want to look, as is the TMZ vid. 

Any update to the real reason this crash happened ? Was it an accident, or not ?