Check your account email address ×

Roy Halladay dies in plane crash.

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Let me revise this again......seems after more careful study of the hours and numbers it is much more safe to travel in a car than in a small plane.

I am surprised by this.......the GA fatal rate last year was 1.3 deaths per 100,000 hours flown. Figure an average of 150mph which might be low but either way. We'll use that

That is 1.3 deaths for every 15,000,000 miles traveled

That accident rate for autos in the US was 1.13 deaths for every 100 million miles traveled.  Or .17 deaths per 15,000,000 miles traveled

That means traveling by car is 7.6x safer than by GA

Of course the GA stats include all experimental and powered parachutes etc etc etc. Not sure how that impacts the stats

The big thing unlike automobiles they won't give just anyone a pilot license, or let you fly any cobbled together unworthy POS :dunno: 

11 minutes ago, Momorider said:

The big thing unlike automobiles they won't give just anyone a pilot license, or let you fly any cobbled together unworthy POS :dunno: 

I think you'd be surprised

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

Did he crash in the A5 ???? That amphib has been fraught with issues. Their lead engineer and test pilot died in one last year if I recall. 

I don't know if you saw the vid I posted before it was pulled, but his was wife was really against him flying.

Last Kathryns report I read that was fatal was a farmer who flew his c182 into the side of a mountain ......plane was out of annual and they found old pump gas in the tanks 

friends reported to the investigator that the farmer never had the plane worked on and used it for sight seeing and looking at his farm land and that he treated it like one of his tractors dumping old gas in it and leaving it uncovered and in ill state of repair :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I don't know if you saw the vid I posted before it was pulled, but his was wife was really against him flying.

What has that got to do with anything? She said she was against him flying until she went up with him and fell in love with it? What are you getting at ????/

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

What has that got to do with anything? She said she was against him flying until she went up with him and fell in love with it? What are you getting at ????/

It was just kind of haunting to hear her talk about it, I have a couple of friends who are instrument rated, one of the guys Tim is twin engine rated and has a chopper license, his take is that 40 is too old to start flying.

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It was just kind of haunting to hear her talk about it, I have a couple of friends who are instrument rated, one of the guys Tim is twin engine rated and has a chopper license, his take is that 40 is too old to start flying.

Well ....its probably better the earlier you start. But unless you are a silver spooner or your dad is a pilot the reality is its not something most people can afford when they are justing starting their adult lives. They are just breaking the Icon A5 thing in the news.....I had followed that plane from the very start of my interest in flying. Apparently they had just started to make significant deliveries this this year and there have already been 3 crashes. They are in big trouble ....its too bad

17 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Last Kathryns report I read that was fatal was a farmer who flew his c182 into the side of a mountain ......plane was out of annual and they found old pump gas in the tanks 

friends reported to the investigator that the farmer never had the plane worked on and used it for sight seeing and looking at his farm land and that he treated it like one of his tractors dumping old gas in it and leaving it uncovered and in ill state of repair :lol: 

that sounds like a farmer alright.  Too busy to use something for enjoyment purposes on a regular basis so stuff doesn't get kept up after like it should.  Sounds like me and my sled.  Night before it's time to leave i'm giving it a once over. :lol:

Just now, hayward said:

that sounds like a farmer alright.  Too busy to use something for enjoyment purposes on a regular basis so stuff doesn't get kept up after like it should.  Sounds like me and my sled.  Night before it's time to leave i'm giving it a once over. :lol:

Yup :lol: I was all for having an experimental until the first time I flew. It hit me like a ton of bricks that a unique plane with me wrenching on it could have unique issues mid air and that is not some shit I want to deal with hahahahahahahaha

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Well ....its probably better the earlier you start. But unless you are a silver spooner or your dad is a pilot the reality is its not something most people can afford when they are justing starting their adult lives. They are just breaking the Icon A5 thing in the news.....I had followed that plane from the very start of my interest in flying. Apparently they had just started to make significant deliveries this this year and there have already been 3 crashes. They are in big trouble ....its too bad

It looks like a really cool machine, there is a good chance these events could doom the company.

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It looks like a really cool machine, there is a good chance these events could doom the company.

Yup ....great concept and obviously a ton of effort went into it. It has had setback after setback though. The death of the engineer and test pilot and then this massively high profile death are probably going to put them under. The price was supposed to be under 150k and project creep put it well over 200k and that kind of took the shine off the plane as far as opening up markets to them

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Off M  59?

I was just at the Pontiac lake inn last week.  

Yep. Lived on Pontiac Lake. Still have good burgers at the PLI? 

9 hours ago, Edmo said:

Yep. Lived on Pontiac Lake. Still have good burgers at the PLI? 

. Had the PLI burger while I was there. Strongest drinks in Town. We just started stopping in there again.

Spent a lot of time at the PLI when you could ride around there.

Turns out Roy was yankin and bankin and flew his ass right into the drink .....what a waste. There is video taken right before the crash showing him performing some pretty drastic maneuvers right off the water.

2 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

This would make sense since most crashes are pilot error.

Why though....why would a new pilot with a new to him plane engage in such unbelievably risky maneuvers ......there is zero room for error 5' off the water at 100mph

What the fuck was he thinking. He fucked his family over and fucked Icon over pretty good too .....just irresponsible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Why though....why would a new pilot with a new to him plane engage in such unbelievably risky maneuvers ......there is zero room for error 5' off the water at 100mph

What the fuck was he thinking. He fucked his family over and fucked Icon over pretty good too .....just irresponsible 

Perhaps after a few hours he felt confident, maybe overconfident. It's really a shame, he had a lot of good years ahead of him and his family is really going to miss him. Such a sad thing to happen.

1 minute ago, 2strokemerc said:

Perhaps after a few hours he felt confident, maybe overconfident. It's really a shame, he had a lot of good years ahead of him and his family is really going to miss him. Such a sad thing to happen.

What a shame....I guess I've done my share of dumb shit that should have killed me. But there is zero margin for error in what he was doing

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Turns out Roy was yankin and bankin and flew his ass right into the drink .....what a waste. There is video taken right before the crash showing him performing some pretty drastic maneuvers right off the water.

Maybe he was trying to correct something going wrong, or was there any chance for some strange reason he was just tired of living ?

Does that plane have a black box ? If so, maybe that will shed some light if it was pilot error or plane problems.

Just now, Frostynuts said:

Maybe he was trying to correct something going wrong, or was there any chance for some strange reason he was just tired of living ?

Does that plane have a black box ? If so, maybe that will shed some light if it was pilot error or plane problems.

No , it was clearly him barnstorming over the water. Looked like he was doing lazy 8's coming down out of the banks just a few feet off the water. Maybe he was just entertaining himself and thought he had it in control. I have basically no experience but what he was doing was like an airshow level of control. From what I could see he was coming out of the banks pretty steep and pulling up at the water very sharply.

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Can you post a link to that video ?

I saw a very detailed interview with some guy that was on Roys baseball team, and he described Roy as being very over the top on " details " .

This flying stuff seems so out of character for him.

Any chance he was having some home problems or mental issues, cause this seems very out of charcter for the man he used to be ?

Just now, Frostynuts said:

I saw a very detailed interview with some guy that was on Roys baseball team, and he described Roy as being very over the top on " details " .

This flying stuff seems so out of character for him.

Any chance he was having some home problems or mental issues, cause this seems very out of charcter for the man he used to be ?

I would bet there are very few people that will be able to answer that question. NTSB will say pilot error and its clear that is the case. At least that is some validation for Icon and the A5. 

I'm not familiar with Halladay at all as a person not having really ever watched him play or followed his career. Either way , he died doing what he loved and I aint going to judge him for that.