Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

I really doubt that a land owner needs to make up a story about why they are closing THEIR private property to snowmobiles. I also doubt they really care about public opinion. Their property their decision and don't need a reason 

• Like 1

Nobody would believe it.  I don't think coarse, foul-mouthed snowmobilers exist.... 

4 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

AC ,  yes some take corners pretty bad .

Puzzler , I agree , but I don't think they know who they are . 

This will sound crazy , but as I was typing that, I thought to myself . What if someone wanted a trail closed , and they said " a couple of foul mouthed sledders , gave us a hard time " .  Boom , trail closed and public opinion is on they're side . 

Im not saying this is the case , but why couldn't it ? 

26 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I really doubt that a land owner needs to make up a story about why they are closing THEIR private property to snowmobiles. I also doubt they really care about public opinion. Their property their decision and don't need a reason 

Really , I think your wrong . 

43 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

AC ,  yes some take corners pretty bad .

Puzzler , I agree , but I don't think they know who they are . 

This will sound crazy , but as I was typing that, I thought to myself . What if someone wanted a trail closed , and they said " a couple of foul mouthed sledders , gave us a hard time " .  Boom , trail closed and public opinion is on they're side . 

Im not saying this is the case , but why couldn't it ? 

:stirthepot:

I suppose not out of the question, but just more proof of how society is widely screwed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieWonder said:

Really , I think your wrong . 

Why do you think a land owner who decides he/she doesn't want a trail on HIS/HER OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY has to justify their decision to anyone. We are entitled to nothing and should simply be grateful for the access we had while it lasted. 

Because snowmobilers are entitled to ride wherever they like........ sort of a birthright. 

Besides, we're not riding on their land...... typically 12-24" above it.  Do they own the snow? 

Think....... hoverboard. 

:)

8 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

I already wrote why . 

Ok, you can believe what you want but the only so called public opinion that would give a damn about a snowmobile trail being closed would be a few snowmobilers. The snowmobile club stated they have had ongoing problems for a long time. I really doubt the land owner cares about the opinion of a few snowmobilers. 

Do you think about public opinion when you do things around your home. I doubt you would care if your neighbors objected to you putting up a fence or painting your house a colour they don't like 

29 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Gonna be an interesting year,  trails open before Christmas with half in D5.  Who would have ever thought that.   Anyone still not purchase trail passes? 

You see the forecast.  They better get out and enjoy it now. 

9 hours ago, 02sled said:

Why do you think a land owner who decides he/she doesn't want a trail on HIS/HER OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY has to justify their decision to anyone. We are entitled to nothing and should simply be grateful for the access we had while it lasted. 

Just because the person who might be pulling this a "land owner", does not mean they are not messed up with bad intentions - people do stupid, vindictive stuff everyday, some do it because they do not know any better and others do it on purpose.

Owner might have felt pressured to sign off on the agreement, so did so, than had second thoughts after there were sleds now on their land and decided to pull the plug, after the club did x, y, z to meet their original request in order for a trail to pass ......which is their right to pull the plug, regardless of what really happened, and it is also their right to play these games, if they so wish, they have something we need & want!

Not saying this happened, but I am sure it could not be out of the question and likely has happened somewhere. 

As a volunteer doing the task of negotiating with land owners to get permissions, and this happens, that must be a tough pill to swallow.

Regardless, it is an interesting notion and I guess could of went either way......no one knows except the owner and the person or persons who might have been disrespectful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reevester said:

It has been a slow creep with the temps, each day the forecast gets a little warmer around Christmas.....some areas will not handle it so well, while a little North, it will likley be a good thing, settle things down, put some substance in the snow on the ground and help with the frost :bc: 

5 minutes ago, Reevester said:

I guess it depends on where you are. My riding area forecast is for temps below freezing every night for the next 14 days below or just a hair above during the day snow on a number of days and a small chance of less than 1 mm of rain Christmas Eve and the following Friday. Right now the snow is light and fluffy which doesn't pack well. This should help build a packed base.

57 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Do you think about public opinion when you do things around your home. I doubt you would care if your neighbors objected to you putting up a fence or painting your house a colour they don't like 

Watch some of the news, yes, people do care, usually it is the neighbour though.....just the other day a skating rink was requested to be removed by a neighbour, tree fort not long ago, clothes lines, trailers in driveways, etc.....

Society has become a very messed up place, people are in their little world, me, me, me.....

• Like 2

02 , lets keep in the same context .

I'm a land owner , trail cuts across my property . Also does my nieghbors , who allow the trail also . And maybe they sled . I say I want the trail gone , they say why when we allow it . Well it's my property I don't need a reason .

Now how do you think they will look at that Neighbor from now on .

case two :

I don't want the trail across my property because I as harassed by a bunch of ass hat sledders . Not one Neighbor would think twice about agreeing with them . 

Stoney nailed it . 

Sled trails are just one of many things neighbors can argue about.  The further apart and less you see them the better.

Sledders arguing with land owners and telling them they can't stop them from riding on their land with bill 100 certainly does not help matters, even if that is not what the bill contains.  Its their land, we need to show more respect and appreciation for allowing us to cross it. 

I know it takes a special kind of person....but who rides along a trail on a sled, to stop or take the time to start bitching at someone walking their dog, taking a walk, just enjoying the outdoors, etc....

I know the flip side is there could be a disgruntled person using the trail that does not want the sled traffic, so they pick an argument with you......

I thought this was an interesting video from this morning that I saw on facecreep:

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I guess it depends on where you are. My riding area forecast is for temps below freezing every night for the next 14 days below or just a hair above during the day snow on a number of days and a small chance of less than 1 mm of rain Christmas Eve and the following Friday. Right now the snow is light and fluffy which doesn't pack well. This should help build a packed base.

Your riding area is calling for 6 day above freezing and 5-10mm of rain boxing day. You might want to check again. Hopefully it changes for boxing day.

Edited by Reevester

12 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Your riding area is calling for 6 day above freezing and 5-10mm of rain boxing day. You might want to check again. Hopefully it changes for boxing day.

No worries, 02 is a keyboard rider.....there will be no trail riding anytime soon, so forecast is irrelevant :)

And not to kid myself either, my trail riding has decreased as of late as well.....:flush:

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

No worries, 02 is a keyboard rider.....there will be no trail riding anytime soon, so forecast is irrelevant :)

And not to kid myself either, my trail riding has decreased as of late as well.....:flush:

Cochrane is getting snow now and will probably continue too. I'll head that way in a week or two if things go to shits here and the cabin.

Just now, Reevester said:

Cochrane is getting snow now and will probably continue too. I'll head that way in a week or two if things go to shits here and the cabin.

Looking at the forecast each day, I cannot help to feel this sinking all too familiar feeling, this time of the year..