Check your account email address ×

85-year-old Idaho woman hailed as 'hero' in fatal shooting of home invasion suspect

85-year-old Idaho woman hailed as 'hero' in fatal shooting of home invasion suspect

ABC News
BILL HUTCHINSON
April 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM

An 85-year-old Idaho woman is being hailed as a "hero" for gunning down a home-invasion suspect with a handgun she kept under her pillow after he allegedly handcuffed her to a chair, pistol whipped her and threatened numerous time to kill her, authorities said.

Christine Jenneiahn survived the harrowing incident at her home near Blackfoot, Idaho, after being shot multiple times by alleged assailant 39-year-old Derek Condon, who died in her kitchen when the octogenarian turned the tables on him and shot him twice with her .357 Magnum, authorities said.

She told investigators she decided to use deadly force to protect her and her disabled son, saying it was "now or never" as she feared the suspect was otherwise going to kill her.

PHOTO: Stock photo. (Adobe Stock)

"This case presents an easy analysis of self-defense and justifiable homicide," Bingham County, Idaho, Prosecuting Attorney Ryan Jolley said in a statement released this week, clearing Jenneiahn of any wrongdoing. "It also presents one of the most heroic acts of self-preservation I have heard of."

Jenneiahn, who lives in a rural area with a disabled son, told police she was awakened around 2 a.m. on March 13 by a stranger wearing a military jacket and a black ski mask and standing over her bed pointing a gun and a flashlight at her, according to investigators.

Investigators suspect Condon entered the home by breaking a window and hit Jenneiahn in the head with a pistol while she was in her bed, according to Jolley.

PHOTO: The Bingham County Sherriff's Office has released this undated photo of Derek Condon.  (Bingham County Sheriff's Office/Facebook)

PHOTO: The Bingham County Sherriff's Office has released this undated photo of Derek Condon. (Bingham County Sheriff's Office/Facebook)

Jenneiahn told investigators Condon allegedly took her into her living room, handcuffed her to a wooden chair and "asked her where the valuables were kept in her home, and placed a pistol against her head," according to an incident report.

The woman told Condon there were two safes downstairs but that she didn't have much, according to the report.

When the assailant went downstairs, leaving her alone in the living room, Jenneiahn told investigators she dragged the chair she was handcuffed to back to her bedroom to retrieve the gun she kept under her pillow. She told investigators she went back into the living room and hid the revolver between the armrest and cushion of a couch she was seated next to and waited to see what Condon did next, according to the report.

When Condon returned, he allegedly became angry with Jenneiahn for not telling him her son was in the house and again allegedly threatened to kill her, according to the report. That's when she lunged for her gun hidden in the couch and opened fire on Condon, hitting him twice.

Condon allegedly returned fire, emptying his 9mm pistol, leaving Jenneiahn with gunshot wounds to her abdomen, leg, arm and chest, according to the report.

Condon apparently collapsed in the kitchen and died while Jenneiahn remained on the floor of her living room bleeding and handcuffed to the chair for 10 hours until her son came upstairs and handed her the phone to call 911, according to the report.

Citing Idaho's "stand your ground law," Jolley said Jenneiahn was justified in using any means necessary to defend herself.

"Any reasonable person would believe it necessary to defend themselves or their disabled child under such circumstances," Jolley said in his decision released Tuesday. "That Christine survived this encounter is truly incredible. Her grit, determination, and will to live appear to be what saved her that night."

He said that if Condon had survived the incident, he would have been charged with felony attempted murder, kidnapping, burglary, aggravated battery and grand theft.

85-year-old Idaho woman hailed as 'hero' in fatal shooting of home invasion suspect originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

• Like 3

Canada needs a castle doctrine.

I want to get my wife more comfortable with weapons. Been a while since I showed her how to load the 12 gauge, aim and fire. She did not like it. I doubt she remembers any of it.

We live in a rural environment, and the risk of similar is low, but it’s never zero.

I technically live on a farm, so the storage rules on non restricted don’t apply. 
All firearms get locked in a cabinet, and safe however.

I bought a Byrna a while back. I’m going to get her comfortable with it. It’s as close to the Jericho .45 I have,  as fuck is to swearing. Like to get her to try it out. The buckmark .22 I have would likely just be as effective a deterrent, without the recoil. 
Trained memory is all one needs. 

Canada however doesn’t allow for the pepper or CS gas rounds yet. I hope that changes.

I’ve zero problem assessing a threat and dealing appropriate force, quickly and efficiently. 
I think she’d hesitate. The Byrna hopefully changes her attitude.

Non lethal. It should be a given it’s a free and ready option.

I think Canadian attitudes are getting more in line with judged by 12 vs carried by 6.

Edited by Voodoo

Good job Granny Gunslinger, although she made a mistake, she should have never tucked her gun in the couch cushion. She should have had it in her hands and ready when that POS returned she should have blasted the shit out of that useless turd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s just crazy that a god given right to protect oneself and have the means to do so has to be defended. It’s just fucking crazy. 

Bleeding heart, illogical liberals. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

The crazy liberals. Just like the crazy republicans and their religious abortion bullshit. 

Right, because self defense of your life is just as radical as killing babies, nice comparison. Liberals are far more radical than Republicans. For starters, grooming children and confusing them into gender altering surgery before their brain develops and claiming taxpayers should pay for it. :lmao:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, snoughnut said:

Right, because self defense of your life is just as radical as killing babies, nice comparison. Liberals are far more radical than Republicans. For starters, grooming children and confusing them into gender altering surgery before their brain develops and claiming taxpayers should pay for it. :lmao:

The antiabortion religious freaks on the right should all kill themselves and spare us of their psychotic need to control people’s choices. 

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The antiabortion religious freaks on the right should all kill themselves and spare us of their psychotic need to control people’s choices. 

Telling people to kill themselves is pretty radical but not unexpected from a liberal like yourself. Republicans do need to loosen their grip regarding abortion because in some cases it’s necessary for the protection of the mother. Other than abortion, Reps can’t hold a candle to the radical retardation that the Dems produce. Should we move on to the liberal lunacy known as Global Warming? 

24 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Telling people to kill themselves is pretty radical but not unexpected from a liberal like yourself. Republicans do need to loosen their grip regarding abortion because in some cases it’s necessary for the protection of the mother. Other than abortion, Reps can’t hold a candle to the radical retardation that the Dems produce. Should we move on to the liberal lunacy known as Global Warming? 

Go cry to baby Jesus about abortion. I’m all out of empathy for your cause. 

6 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Go cry to baby Jesus about abortion. I’m all out of empathy for your cause. 

Sounds like you could use some Jesus in your life Eeyore.

Sad day for society, when some wack job breaks into an elder woman's home, beats her, threatens her for being poor and shoots her in rage. 

Justice was too kind for the perpetrator

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It’s just crazy that a god given right to protect oneself and have the means to do so has to be defended. It’s just fucking crazy. 

Now you're making some sense.....finally:bc:

17 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

aaaaaaaannnnnnddd right back into the theoretical cesspool that is AFJ.....:flush:

12 hours ago, ICG said:

Sad day for society, when some wack job breaks into an elder woman's home, beats her, threatens her for being poor and shoots her in rage. 

Justice was too kind for the perpetrator

Had one around here about a year ago, 83 years old, assaulted and raped, now that's one sick Fuck

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/family-makes-plea-help-find-person-who-assaulted-83-year-old-grandmother-her-pittsburgh-home/WJQ6MIE57ZG4ZFNJ2H3CYN4JEE/

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Please explain to the class how a women who chooses to have an abortion effects your life in any manner what’s so ever. 

Not in the least, hence my post.  The less crazy’s, the better.