Check your account email address ×

real world weights

Posted (edited)

The thunderwinder with power steering is only 30 lbs heavier than the doo ace turbo, and lighter than the poo 4 stroke

The catalyst is the lightest trail sled..

Poo 650 (588.5) is 14 lbs heavier than doo (574), putting the catalyst (561) 13 lbs less than doo, and 28 lbs less than poo

Edited by krom

40 minutes ago, krom said:

The thunderwinder with power steering is only 30 lbs heavier than the doo ace turbo, and lighter than the poo 4 stroke

Poo 600 (588.5) is 14 lbs heavier than doo (574), catalyst (561)

The doo turbo also feels like a pig riding it compared to the thunderwinder

• Like 1

13 hours ago, krom said:

Poo 600 (588.5) is 14 lbs heavier than doo (574), catalyst (561)

Poo 600... 650?

I'll watch it later today... did they mention clutching?   

52 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

for reference, on our scales, 22 sidewinder 137 with EPS, studs and half tank of gas was 683 pounds

Maybe you should use something different than Dollar Store bathroom scales to weight sleds on. :nea:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Maybe you should use something different than Dollar Store bathroom scales to weight sleds on. :nea:

Have to admit, that was pretty funny. Must be he's rehabbing off the washer fluid.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Poo 600... 650?

I'll watch it later today... did they mention clutching?   

edit to fix.. 650 is correct.. 

Since wet weights are being used, are any of the sleds heavier due to bigger gas tanks and/or more coolant capacity than what their rivals have?

Edited by CaddisFly

9 minutes ago, CaddisFly said:

Since wet weights are being used, are any of the sleds heavier due to bigger gas tanks and/or more coolant capacity than what their rivals have?

They talk about all of those factors in the video. That’s why dry weight is a lot more accurate of a standard to use to compare machines. Dirt bikes used to be listed this way as it prevented bikes with big gas tanks from being penalized. However wet weight is definitely the easiest way for the media and consumers to compare machines. 

22 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Polaris need extra weight for running over sled dogs 

And even more weight now to handle the dog deflector option. Some of the Cat guys used to say the lighter sleds (Doo and Poo) would fold like tin cans, apparently not the Cats though. :lol:Now light weight is the best thing since sliced bread. And I agree by the way

Edited by Tripleflipper
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, krom said:

edit to fix.. 650 is correct.. 

I prefer the ready to ride with fluids information.  To be fair they should weigh them all with five gallons of fuel but full of oil and coolant.  Because I don't know... aren't the sleds filled with coolant before they leave the factory @krom?  I'd certainly want to believe they would be but :dunno:

That f'ng 9R Khaos sure is light... speaking of, where's @Gym Ramstud been?  The poor fucker must losing his mind this winter worse than @ZR6000RR

16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I prefer the ready to ride with fluids information.  To be fair they should weigh them all with five gallons of fuel but full of oil and coolant.  Because I don't know... aren't the sleds filled with coolant before they leave the factory @krom?  I'd certainly want to believe they would be but :dunno:

That f'ng 9R Khaos sure is light... speaking of, where's @Gym Ramstud been?  The poor fucker must losing his mind this winter worse than @ZR6000RR

5 gals seems reasonable but would be a pain in the ass in practice. It’s way more cut and dried if there are no fluids or full of fluids. Now that I’m thinking about it, wet weight is fine, if a guy really wants to get into it you can just subtract the weight of the gas by looking up the fuel tank capacity. 

32 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Why would 5 gallons matter?  Now I know what you're all going to say, because gas tanks are different capacity.. so?  That doesn't change the fact that it's still X weight when you're ready to hit the trail.  Unless of course you think guys with bigger gas tanks don't fill them up then that's some crazy goggle shit right there.  Same thing with questionings coolants capacity, why does that matter?  They're weighing sleds how they're ridden.  End of story.  You guys should camouflage the excuse generator it is currently blaze orange and has a rumble pack can on it 

17 minutes ago, AK440 said:

5 gals seems reasonable but would be a pain in the ass in practice. It’s way more cut and dried if there are no fluids or full of fluids. Now that I’m thinking about it, wet weight is fine, if a guy really wants to get into it you can just subtract the weight of the gas by looking up the fuel tank capacity. 

suck the tank empty or as close as possible, pour five gallons in it, weigh it and there ya go.  all things being equal on a single parameter.

Just now, mnstang said:

Why would 5 gallons matter?  Now I know what you're all going to say, because gas tanks are different capacity.. so?  That doesn't change the fact that it's still X weight when you're ready to hit the trail.  Unless of course you think guys with bigger gas tanks don't fill them up then that's some crazy goggle shit right there.  Same thing with questionings coolants capacity, why does that matter?  They're weighing sleds how they're ridden.  End of story.  You guys should camouflage the excuse generator it is currently blaze orange and has a rumble pack can on it 

fine ... 6 gallons then 9_9

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

suck the tank empty or as close as possible, pour five gallons in it, weigh it and there ya go.  all things being equal on a single parameter.

I hear ya but therein lies the problem. On a Maytrx XCR it’s difficult to impossible to get a siphon down into the tank to suck all the gas out. Guys would then say the tank was never completely empty when 5 gals was put in. Definitely easier to just fill the tank all the way up. 

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Do you often start your day by syphoning out all your fuel and then adding 6 gallons?

14 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Do you often start your day by syphoning out all your fuel and then adding 6 gallons?

if I were going to weigh a bunch of sleds for a YT/TV show comparing them all I would... 

21 minutes ago, AK440 said:

I hear ya but therein lies the problem. On a Maytrx XCR it’s difficult to impossible to get a siphon down into the tank to suck all the gas out. Guys would then say the tank was never completely empty when 5 gals was put in. Definitely easier to just fill the tank all the way up. 

then run the fucker wot on a track stand until it's out of fuel

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

if I were going to weigh a bunch of sleds for a YT/TV show comparing them all I would... 

Not what I asked.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

then run the fucker wot on a track stand until it's out of fuel

Ummm 🤨

Then just weigh them with empty gas tanks.