Check your account email address ×

Drive Across The UP…Eeesh

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Just arrived in Marquette and damn it was a weird drive. I really feel for all of the businesses counting on snow for their livelihood…it’s just a ghost town.😳

It's much the same here. Currently 40⁰ and raining. Most of the snow that we had has melted. It's going to take an extended period of cold weather to freeze things up. Hopefully before the snow starts to fall again.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Just took the quad for a rip to try and help with the pain ...:sad:

How long does it take you to get to Woodford?  I've never ridden there so I am not familiar with the snowmobiling. Aren't there a lot of Forest Service roads that don't require a lot of snow? 

I almost rode there back in the early to mid 90s. I was registered VT already because I was riding out of my in-laws in Newark anyway. I had my sled in the back of the truck when we went to Nicole's grandparents in Bennington for Christmas. I was hoping to sneak away for an afternoon, but didn't get the chance. My mouth was watering when we drove through as there was zero snow back home in NH or the NEK. The southern Greens and the Berkshires were the only areas that got the early storms that year.

• Like 2

• Gold Member
Just now, ckf said:

How long does it take you to get to Woodford?  I've never ridden there so I am not familiar with the snowmobiling. Aren't there a lot of Forest Service roads that don't require a lot of snow? 

I almost rode there back in the early to mid 90s. I was registered VT already because I was riding out of my in-laws in Newark anyway. I had my sled in the back of the truck when we went to Nicole's grandparents in Bennington for Christmas. I was hoping to sneak away for an afternoon, but didn't get the chance. My mouth was watering when we drove through as there was zero snow back home in NH or the NEK. The southern Greens and the Berkshires were the only areas that got the early storms that year.

1hr45min from my House to Adams parking lot/A2Z Snowmobiles in Woodford . 

That area is amazing, i've seen it many many years were they have more snow then anywhere else in VT besides maybe NEK in the highland. 

Wide open Forest roads , then right back to tight trails and back again.  Also tons of single track secondary trails. The only problem with the area is Weekends are nuts. They dont call it Whoopford for nothing. Ive left 6am and its flat as a pancake. Come back thru 4-5 hrs later and its a motocross track. But I am pretty sure Woodford SnoBusters are one of the biggest VAST clubs next to Brighton. They groom midweek , I head up and can do 100 miles like nothing and shoot back home for dinner. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

1hr45min from my House to Adams parking lot/A2Z Snowmobiles in Woodford . 

That area is amazing, i've seen it many many years were they have more snow then anywhere else in VT besides maybe NEK in the highland. 

Wide open Forest roads , then right back to tight trails and back again.  Also tons of single track secondary trails. The only problem with the area is Weekends are nuts. They dont call it Whoopford for nothing. Ive left 6am and its flat as a pancake. Come back thru 4-5 hrs later and its a motocross track. But I am pretty sure Woodford SnoBusters are one of the biggest VAST clubs next to Brighton. They groom midweek , I head up and can do 100 miles like nothing and shoot back home for dinner. 

We used to ride up after work, rip 40-50 miles and then come home.  Woodford has a great elevation, and often does get great snow.  I haven't ridden there in years, and like you said on the weekends, forget it.

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 2

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

We used to ride up after work, rip 40-50 miles and then come home.  Woodford has a great elevation, and often does get great snow.  I haven't ridden there in years, and like you said on the weekends, forget it.

Its Ricky Racer playground and ive been guilty myself . :lol:

Slowing down as I get older/kids but that place on the weekends you gotta be a good rider. Fuckers coming at you at 70 on ur side . I wont even let my Wife ride there on the weekends too many Yahoos. 

Swear its all those fucking Upstate New Yorkers :hdchr:

:lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akvanden said:

Seems there’s no snow anywhere, which is really the odd part.  Can’t even trailer if you want to.

Saw something on FB today with pics of Deadwood ... it's looking promising there, if it sticks and if they pick up a little more.  We've stayed outside Deadwood (in Lead), and have had fantastic riding out there.  If things don't turn for the better anytime soon, we'll be trailering out that way in another week or two I think.

• Like 6

• Platinum Contributing Member

Riding season is gonna be down to a couple weeks if morons on sleds don’t get half the trials closed :lol: 

Climate change directly affecting red hats - couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch.  

• Gold Member
13 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Riding season is gonna be down to a couple weeks if morons on sleds don’t get half the trials closed :lol: 

Climate change directly affecting red hats - couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch.  

Nah. Just glad I bought a new Harley instead :news:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Saw something on FB today with pics of Deadwood ... it's looking promising there, if it sticks and if they pick up a little more.  We've stayed outside Deadwood (in Lead), and have had fantastic riding out there.  If things don't turn for the better anytime soon, we'll be trailering out that way in another week or two I think.

I noticed that too. I know some people here that have went out there a few times and it looks like it could be pretty nice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I noticed that too. I know some people here that have went out there a few times and it looks like it could be pretty nice.

If you haven't been out there to ride sled, add it as a bucket list item.  Spearfish Canyon is absolutely beautiful, and the overall trail system out there is fantastic.  Just be careful if you venture off-trail and if the locals tell you it's not great snow.  Lots of stumps to be found!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

If you haven't been out there to ride sled, add it as a bucket list item.  Spearfish Canyon is absolutely beautiful, and the overall trail system out there is fantastic.  Just be careful if you venture off-trail and if the locals tell you it's not great snow.  Lots of stumps to be found!

Thanks. That's pretty much what I've heard. The same people were out there in September with sxs's and had a great time. 

2 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Thanks. That's pretty much what I've heard. The same people were out there in September with sxs's and had a great time. 

Mystic Hills is the place we've stayed at.  It's been a while, but at the time they also had rentals and my dad rented a sled (Yamaha).  The cabins there are nice enough, and the main lodge/bar is good ... plus, it's a short road trip into Deadwood for some entertainment.  Spearfish Canyon Lodge is my next bucket list item for lodging out there.  I wonder how crazy busy it's gonna be out there if they continue to get snow and we don't here in MN/WI/U.P.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Mystic Hills is the place we've stayed at.  It's been a while, but at the time they also had rentals and my dad rented a sled (Yamaha).  The cabins there are nice enough, and the main lodge/bar is good ... plus, it's a short road trip into Deadwood for some entertainment.  Spearfish Canyon Lodge is my next bucket list item for lodging out there.  I wonder how crazy busy it's gonna be out there if they continue to get snow and we don't here in MN/WI/U.P.

Keep on heading west to Dubois/Crooked Creek.  Good trail system that’s super scenic. I always rode off trail but had a group in the neighboring house who road trails.  Must be 3-4 days worth of trial riding but they stayed all week.  

7 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yeah we’re all looking - 43 and sunny in Lead the next couple days out there though.  Maybe in the hills it will stay cooler.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Actually looking at spearfish canyon this afternoon!

rooms actually reasonable!they are letting rental sleds out tomorrow.

not a lot of snow but enough!!

And yes Dubois has been talked about but will wait see how things shape some great trails near brooks but most don’t ride them!!

1B710546-1133-4B16-9F83-ABC7CD44D36Abrooks lake 2012 007.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

I’ll be riding out there this weekend.

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

Yeah we’re all looking - 43 and sunny in Lead the next couple days out there though.  Maybe in the hills it will stay cooler.

43 degrees in Lead shouldn’t hurt much except on the trail in/out of there. It will be 5-10 degrees colder west and north of there. 

• Like 4