Check your account email address ×

Catalyst extended range fuel tank

p51mstg

Anybody else making aftermarket tanks for the Catalyst yet?

I'd like to see a 12.5 gallon tank that uses stock hardware, no special fitting, ATACH accessories still mount fine.

It's good to see the aftermarket ramping up for the Catalyst - tunes, clutching, turbos, big bore kits, accessories, etc.

• Like 1

highly doubtful... where are you going that you need more than 10 gallons?  If you have range anxiety just get a fuel caddy for the tunnel.  tanks are $400-700... and you can buy a helluva lot of gas for that kind of $

https://rotopax.com/collections/containers

you can mount these all over the sled and turn it into a rolling fuel tanker.  :lol:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

I thought it seemed like a good idea, not sure how much they’ll cost.

Seems like a lot of people spend a lot of time and effort trying to fit an additional 2 gallons to the tunnel.  A larger tank that does the same thing and also frees up space on the tunnel might get their attention, I don’t know.

I’m glad someone thought of it, and it makes me wonder if there will be more than one.

12 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Seems like a lot of people spend a lot of time and effort trying to fit an additional 2 gallons to the tunnel.  A larger tank that does the same thing and also frees up space on the tunnel might get their attention, I don’t know.

I’m glad someone thought of it, and it makes me wonder if there will be more than one.

color me confused... but is there is someone making bigger tanks for it already?   :dunno:

10.4 gallons of capacity according to the Cat site.  where are folks going that can't find a gas station within a 100 mile ride?

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

color me confused... but is there is someone making bigger tanks for it already?   :dunno:

10.4 gallons of capacity according to the Cat site.  where are folks going that can't find a gas station within a 100 mile ride?

It’s too quiet, and I thought I’d stir up something to talk about.  I saw some cool stuff for Catalysts last week, and it’s good to see that the aftermarket thinks they can make money on the platform.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

It’s too quiet, and I thought I’d stir up something to talk about.  I saw some cool stuff for Catalysts last week, and it’s good to see that the aftermarket thinks they can make money on the platform.

The two stroke Pro Cross had 11.7, with actual being 10.7. For trail riders, one gallon wont make a difference. New tank style there will be less gas in the tank when empty. According to Cat anyways.

21 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

The two stroke Pro Cross had 11.7, with actual being 10.7. For trail riders, one gallon wont make a difference. New tank style there will be less gas in the tank when empty. According to Cat anyways.

If you have 9.5 useable gallons in this catalyst that gives you about a 70 mile range for the off trail guys. Trail guys might get 100 if they ride slow. 

2 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

If you have 9.5 useable gallons in this catalyst that gives you about a 70 mile range for the off trail guys. Trail guys might get 100 if they ride slow. 

Funny how I get 13 to 15 riding 50-70. Weird. Guess speed is not that important to the masses as you dream. 13 x 9 = 117 miles. I would pass three gas stops in that range. Not concerned. 

1 hour ago, ZR6000RR said:

Funny how I get 13 to 15 riding 50-70. Weird. Guess speed is not that important to the masses as you dream. 13 x 9 = 117 miles. I would pass three gas stops in that range. Not concerned. 

Lies.  You are not getting that mileage or you aren't going that fast.  You nearly totalled your sled at 15mph though so we know which part is the lie.

• Like 1

I don’t care whose mileage is used or who rides slower, because it seems like all trail riders, and some off-trail riders, would benefit from carrying an extra 2 gallons of gas.  The further I can stretch a tank of gas, the fewer problems I have to worry about when I’m riding.

Here’s another thing to discuss:  With the Catalyst’s focus on mass centralization, and considering how many people purchase Kimpex or BRP fuel tanks for their tunnel, replacing the OEM tank makes even more sense.  The Catalyst isn’t just about weight, it’s about balance.

Edited by p51mstg
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I don’t care whose mileage is used or who rides slower, because it seems like all trail riders, and some off-trail riders, would benefit from carrying an extra 2 gallons of gas.  The further I can stretch a tank of gas, the fewer problems I have to worry about when I’m riding.

Here’s another thing to discuss:  With the Catalyst’s focus on mass centralization, and considering how many people purchase Kimpex or BRP fuel tanks for their tunnel, replacing the OEM tank makes even more sense.  The Catalyst isn’t just about weight, it’s about balance.

Being a gallon of gas is a little over 6 lbs don't see much of a difference going to a larger tank for centralized mass.  It may have been a packaging thing when they designed the sled.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:01 PM, p51mstg said:

I imagine BDX will come out with a similar tank for the Catalyst.

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=98&controller=product

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=532&controller=product

• Thanks 1

I was only able to get 9.25 gallons in my new catalyst after burping it.
I routinely require extra fuel on the old chassis which held more than 2 gallons more.

Dont want to buy a linq system just for them to have their own can next year. I bought some ATACH brackets to try and make my own kit for now.

Unless BDX is fast to market with their tank.

3 hours ago, rkm said:

I routinely require extra fuel on the old chassis which held more than 2 gallons more.

Dont want to buy a linq system just for them to have their own can next year. I bought some ATACH brackets to try and make my own kit for now.

Trail tank will probably make one. They did for the procross. It shouldn’t take for them to make a bigger tank. Just make it longer 

3 hours ago, rkm said:

The mold has been approved, from what I was told.  I’m hoping to see them online for sale shortly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

The mold has been approved, from what I was told.  I’m hoping to see them online for sale shortly.

Nice. That will be a nice option for the back country guys. I know trail tank’s pro cross tank was 13.5 gallons. Hopefully bdx has something like that. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, rkm said:

AC prommised a tank for atach, they said its just waiting for epa aproval

Edited by krom

• 1 month later...
  • Doug featured and unfeatured this topic
On 1/24/2024 at 9:01 PM, Jorge said:

I just put on 450 miles on my new Catalyst.  Mileage is 14.5 mpg after break in.  130 miles to a tank or so.

Dang.

I didn't see that kind of mileage.  The gas stop planning was modified with the smaller tank.  It wasn't a deal breaker but it was needed.

I bet there’s an isr cert race department tank like skidoo has at some point, at least for the RXCs (real ones) they can just incorporate the size and shape of the battery box into it and get a few more gallons.