Check your account email address ×

Anyone have Starlink?

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Trees, it needs a fairly wide clear sky.   Install it on a pole then.

we have a lot of big trees, really really big.  we're also in a depression between two hills, but lake level.  

currently using a we boost setup on a telescoping pole but it's just barely adequate.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

we have a lot of big trees, really really big.  we're also in a depression between two hills, but lake level.  

currently using a we boost setup on a telescoping pole but it's just barely adequate.

There's an app by starlink that will tell you the obstructions.  You point it to the sky and it gives you the good or bad news.   I had to install mine at the end of my dock to get decent bandwidth.

Next year new cottage will be built with garage, I will have a good clear view.

Florida is 100% clear so no issues.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, SSFB said:

480p will for sure use a ton less data however 720p might be a nice sweet spot for data usage and quality. 

Many people can't even see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen smaller than 50". 

Never really gave it much thought before. We've always used the satellite dish for TV. Recently cancelled everything since we didnt watch most the channels. Guess I have some learning to do.

19 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There's an app by starlink that will tell you the obstructions.  You point it to the sky and it gives you the good or bad news.   I had to install mine at the end of my dock to get decent bandwidth.

Next year new cottage will be built with garage, I will have a good clear view.

Florida is 100% clear so no issues.

I'll check it out.  Thx 

Have one at a bush camp. Hands down the fastest internet you can get off the grid. Speeds are often 150 and have seen as high as 300

It’s not cheap but can move it around and set it up in minutes 

plus very easy to pause the service when we’re out of season and not using it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Have one at a bush camp. Hands down the fastest internet you can get off the grid. Speeds are often 150 and have seen as high as 300

It’s not cheap but can move it around and set it up in minutes 

plus very easy to pause the service when we’re out of season and not using it 

I see theres 3 different options. Obviously global is self explanatory.  Whats the difference between the other two?

8 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

some still say i glamp. i eat gourmet shit when camping . got lots of time to make it

The whole glamping opinion thing I find funny. If someone wants to go sleep in a tent fine. Ive done both. Ive slept numerous times just in a sleeping bag under the stars. It all depends what youre doing.

14 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I see theres 3 different options. Obviously global is self explanatory.  Whats the difference between the other two?

One is home address only 

the other is North America wide. Move it whoever you want in North America and it’ll work 

global is well, global. Oceans and everything 

• Like 1

Starlink roam is $150/mo for the standard package. Then there’s the cost of hardware. Can’t use it with tree cover. So unless you stay in one of those awful, treeless private campgrounds run by a grumpy alcoholic and his saggy tits wife, you’re fucked. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Starlink is faster than 5G—for now. 5G internet, once fully implemented, will be much faster than Starlink satellite internet. Starlink’s top speed is currently 100 Mbps (200 Mbps for Business), while 5G could potentially reach download speeds of 10 Gbps (10,000 Mbps).

5G in the city will be fast, not so much where there’s no reception.

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Starlink roam is $150/mo for the standard package. Then there’s the cost of hardware. Can’t use it with tree cover. So unless you stay in one of those awful, treeless private campgrounds run by a grumpy alcoholic and his saggy tits wife, you’re fucked. 

100 degrees is needed.

Starlink required 100 degree field of view of the sky 500W L5.jpg

6 minutes ago, akvanden said:

5G in the city will be fast, not so much where there’s no reception.

We're starting to see the 5G Antennas in areas where we drive.

5G Cell Towers: Why You See Them and How They Work

How do 5G small cells work and where are they located?

By   

5G is the newest mobile networking technology that's replacing 4G and powering the next generation of internet-connected devices...but how does it work? You might know that a 5G network uses what’s called small cells, but what does that mean?

Connected city illustration
 Lifewire

The cell tower is an essential part of a mobile network. Like any network infrastructure, certain equipment is needed to relay information between devices, which is exactly why a 5G tower is needed for 5G networks.

A 5G tower is different from a 4G tower both physically and functionally: more are needed to cover the same amount of space, they’re smaller, and they transmit data on an entirely different part of the radio spectrum. Small cells are useful in a 5G network because it's the best way to provide the coverage, speed, and low latency 5G promises.

What Are 5G Small Cells?

A small cell in a 5G network is the base station that serves a critical role in the overall network. They're called “small cells,” as opposed to "macrocells" used in 4G networks, because they’re relatively smaller.

5G vs 4G cell tower
Circa.com

Since 5G towers can operate on less power, they can be made relatively small. This is important not only for aesthetics but also for space efficiency—small cells support high frequency millimeter waves, which have limited range (more on why this is important below).

A 5G cell tower is basically just a small box, like you see in the image above. While this is how most implementations are turning out, some companies are burying antennas under manhole covers to extend their mobile network through the streets.

How 5G Small Cells Works

Despite their size, small cells are not weak. The tech inside these cells is what allows 5G to be so fast and support the growing number of devices requiring internet access.

Inside a small cell is radio equipment necessary for transmitting data to and from connected devices. The antennas within the small cell are highly directional and use what's called beamforming to direct attention to very specific areas around the tower.

Antennas and satellite dishes
Lizzie Roberts / Ikon Images / Getty Images

These devices can also quickly adjust power usage based on the current load. This means when a radio is not in use, it will drop into a lower power state in just a few milliseconds, and then re-adjust just as quickly when more power is needed.

5G small cells are fairly simple in design and can be installed in less than a few hours, sometimes even faster, like with Ericsson's 15-minute streetlight solution, Street Radio 4402. This is very much unlike the beefier 4G towers that take much longer to install and get up and running.

Of course, small cells also require a power source and backhaul to connect it to the carrier's 5G network, and eventually the internet. A carrier might choose a wired fiber connection or wireless microwave for that connection.

Small cell is an umbrella term; there are three subtypes, each with their own purposes due to their different sizes, coverage areas, and power requirements:

• Microcells and picocells are good for outdoor use because they have a range of up to 200–2000 meters (just over a mile), respectively.
  • Femtocells are preferred indoors due to a coverage radius of less than 10 meters (32 feet).

5G Tower Locations

5G promises an extremely interconnected world where everything from smartwatches, vehicles, houses, and farms utilize the ultrafast speeds and low delays it offers. To accomplish this, and to do it well—with as little coverage gaps as possible—it’s required to have a huge number of 5G towers, particularly in areas that demand lots of traffic like big cities, large events, and business districts.

Fortunately, since 5G cell towers are so small, they can be positioned in ordinary places like on light poles, the tops of buildings, and even streetlights. This translates into less traditional-looking towers, but also potentially more eyesores nearly everywhere you look.

Ericsson Street Radio 4402 installed on a streetlight
 Ericsson Street Radio 4402 installed on a streetlight. 

Ericsson

For 5G to really shine in a highly-populated city, for example, especially given its short distance limitations, towers need to exist close to wherever connected devices need access to them, like at intersections, outside the doors of businesses, all around college campuses, around transportation hubs, etc.

Another reason these towers have to be installed so frequently in busy areas is that for the small cell to support superfast speeds, it has to have a direct line of sight with the receiving device, like your smartphone or home. If you ever plan to replace your home broadband internet with 5G, you'll most likely have a 5G cell tower down the street from your house. This isn't as necessary for low-band networks that support long-range communication.

As 5G continues to roll out, carriers release updated coverage maps, but it'd be practically unsustainable to show exactly where every tower is placed.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

define obstructions please...

I've been requested to get it at the cottage in the UP 

personally I can live without being online there but... women. 

See if they have a deal if you buy 2. Starlink might be my only option. I haven’t had time to look into it 

Just now, Not greg b said:

See if they have a deal if you buy 2. Starlink might be my only option. I haven’t had time to look into it 

we saw the starlink satellite train come over the cottage a couple years ago... honest to Christ thought it was a f'ng alien invasion and I was going to end up as one of those crazy people on the front page of the national enquirer.

wife has some fuzzy pictures on her phone of it that night.  there's a site where you can track it... 

30 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

100 degrees is needed.

Starlink required 100 degree field of view of the sky 500W L5.jpg

Not entirely true.

Starlink required field of view of the sky /siting your Starlink. Starlink requires a 100 degree cone unobstructed view of the sky. This figure should improve (i.e. the requirement may well drop to less than 100 degrees) as more satellites are put into orbit

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Starlink is faster than 5G—for now. 5G internet, once fully implemented, will be much faster than Starlink satellite internet. Starlink’s top speed is currently 100 Mbps (200 Mbps for Business), while 5G could potentially reach download speeds of 10 Gbps (10,000 Mbps).

Yeah but Starlink won’t give you autism, cancer and turn you into a transgender. 

• Haha 3