Check your account email address ×

23/24 Cross Country thread

2 hours ago, fortune46x said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d1b1064b882c3c9150e227545ea4129e.jpeg

that's the one... :lol2:

16 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

by that logic everyone should be running blasts then ... and not 120hp sleds

the 1999 zrt800 was rated at 110hp. the current cat xc race sled is rated at 134hp.

fwiw in the haydays of Wsa/WPSA there was 12 pros on the line then too with 100% open mods and you could make a six figure salary off racing snocross.

current non-EPA sleds are 150-160hp depending who you believe... correct ?

they should all be racing SP5's and fanner Jags really... 85hp is the sweet spot. 

:)

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

11 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

It is set up so everything is equal. Not going to change anytime soon.

so if everyone was on a 850 it wouldnt be equal?

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

that's the one... :lol2:

current non-EPA sleds are 150-160hp depending who you believe... correct ?

they should all be racing SP5's and fanner Jags really... 85hp is the sweet spot. 

:)

Depending on the flavor ...

2003 Lake geneva WSA snocross final .. I was wrong its 10 riders not 12.

image.thumb.jpeg.940150e7b9d650720a32705f0069ee6c.jpeg

5 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Will never be an 850-class race. No need. The racers have nothing to hide, unlike most 850 purchasers.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Ohooo, wow. So like EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. In the pro class qualified that day and raced the final? Looks like someone needs to do some crossword puzzles to try and save what memory they have left. 

12 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Ohooo, wow. So like EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. In the pro class qualified that day and raced the final? Looks like someone needs to do some crossword puzzles to try and save what memory they have left. 

Just like it is 20 years later... except we started this season out with 17 pros and are at 11 due to injuries.

its amazing to see the old wsa tracks and what they used to do on the mods , vs what the pro's are doing on stock sleds now. the technology isn't even remotely close to what is is now vs back then.

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

@Palu49... vast difference in speed there with the PooPoo 

In what way?  In the intro it looks like it reeled in a cat but the cat was coming out of snow vs ice.  I didn't watch the whole thing but skipped to 12 minutes and watched a cat pass this rider.

And then this rider had to stop and cycle key because they got detonation codes, losing more positions.

10 minutes ago, mnstang said:

In what way?  In the intro it looks like it reeled in a cat but the cat was coming out of snow vs ice.  I didn't watch the whole thing but skipped to 12 minutes and watched a cat pass this rider.

And then this rider had to stop and cycle key because they got detonation codes, losing more positions.

I know... thanks 9_9

He was supposed to be there but.... :puke:

24 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I know... thanks 9_9

He was supposed to be there but.... :puke:

Do they ban ass draggers from these events or do they just like going slower?

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

@Palu49... vast difference in speed there with the PooPoo 

Yes there was and Jesse called me after the race he was only getting 94-98 on the dash on the long straights. You think after all those years of snocross and YouTube the fuckin guy could aim a go pro. 😂 

The kid who cried about him going outside of one of the stakes pulls the same shit every time he gets beat. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mnstang said:

idk, Palu runs the NE events though 

Just now, Palu49 said:

Yes there was and Jesse called me after the race he was only getting 94-98 on the dash on the long straights. You think after all those years of snocross and YouTube the fuckin guy could aim a go pro. 😂 

The kid who cried about him going outside of one of the stakes pulls the same shit every time he gets beat. 

at times the cam was pointed right at the speedometer, and if he had a nsp clutch kit he'd have gotten at least 10mph more.  :lol:

that's where a properly aimed go-pro could come in handy... ;)

• Haha 1

The guy I sold my IQR with a 800 XCR triple in it was told he could run with the 850's at Pine Lake, he plans to set it up to run there next year.

9 hours ago, fortune46x said:

You nailed it. ISR is a necessary evil. They haven't evolved completely from the glory days of ovals racing but are coming along slow but sure - its been an uphill battle with the computer age hitting and jets going bye bye.

There are a ton of race series out there looking outside of isr for insurance but I would have to guess that the policy's are limited.

At one time, we had 4 or 5 or 6 really nice little club lake races around here you could run, but club insurance companies started pushing back saying no ISR, no insurance for your event.  The members really weren't interested in putting in the effort, so that has died off.  Really miss it sometimes.

9 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Been tried. Back in the fucking 90's. To dangerous. 

What series?  I don't remember MRP, ISOC, or USCC running anything better then 440's or 600's.

8 hours ago, airflite1 said:

Back in the 80's it was 56hp racing, 90's they moved to 440's, as the 440's disappeared they went to 600's in the 2000's and finally to EPA compliant 600's.

Pretty much.  I think in like 03 didn't they try the 500's for a year?  Or maybe that was like a 1 series 1 year thing?

6 hours ago, fortune46x said:

lmao I laugh when racers bitch about needing mod sleds back - when I see on their data they're rarely using above 50% throttle

I remember all the hooting and hollering when Brian and USXC announced they were moving away from the all out race sleds to what we race now.  I'm told Pat and USCC had been working with the manus on that before he passed.

People thought it was going to be the end of XC racing and I'm over here like "Wait, you are going to make me race a EFI, 91 octane, oil injected sled and Cat is even going to kick in engine reverse too?  OH NO!  I don't get to fight those bitches on a -20°F morning or premix 110 and 91 anymore!"

6 hours ago, AK440 said:

You need racers to put on races. There will always be some guy who goes all out but they are exception, not the rule. They tried running a series up here of ice lake races and traditional XC races. Initially the idea was you’d show up running the same XC set up for the ice race. But they didn’t enforce anything and some guys spent more money to lower their sleds, get a second track, more studs, etc and the specialization killed the whole XC racing scene in just 2-3 years. Now they have barely anything. Pretty hard for races like the Iron Dog to continue when there are very few to no smaller, 150-200 mile events feeding into it. 

The simplicity of XC races is you can host an event on trails or a lake and guys can run the same sleds they already own. But once it starts getting specialized entries drop and things die off. 

If you aren't going to enforce the rules you have, you might as well not have them. 

That isn't a racer's issue, that is a rules enforcement issue.

5 hours ago, AK440 said:

I’ve been very involved in the past and it’s a pain in the ass. You know what’s an even bigger pain in the ass? Adding additional rules and complications to enforce. All I’m saying is if they want to run a combination series of terrain and ice, just say stock height sleds only. The entries for racing aren’t growing. Making it more expensive for the average Joe blow racer to have two, completely different set ups won’t help grow anything. 

Ice racing seems to get more entries then the terrain races do, and more in terms of pure number of racers too.

3 hours ago, fortune46x said:

Nope.  Cat would have the 858.  850 max.  Got to draw the line somewhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

At one time, we had 4 or 5 or 6 really nice little club lake races around here you could run, but club insurance companies started pushing back saying no ISR, no insurance for your event.  The members really weren't interested in putting in the effort, so that has died off.  Really miss it sometimes.

What series?  I don't remember MRP, ISOC, or USCC running anything better then 440's or 600's.

Pretty much.  I think in like 03 didn't they try the 500's for a year?  Or maybe that was like a 1 series 1 year thing?

I remember all the hooting and hollering when Brian and USXC announced they were moving away from the all out race sleds to what we race now.  I'm told Pat and USCC had been working with the manus on that before he passed.

People thought it was going to be the end of XC racing and I'm over here like "Wait, you are going to make me race a EFI, 91 octane, oil injected sled and Cat is even going to kick in engine reverse too?  OH NO!  I don't get to fight those bitches on a -20°F morning or premix 110 and 91 anymore!"

If you aren't going to enforce the rules you have, you might as well not have them. 

That isn't a racer's issue, that is a rules enforcement issue.

Ice racing seems to get more entries then the terrain races do, and more in terms of pure number of racers too.

Nope.  Cat would have the 858.  850 max.  Got to draw the line somewhere.

It was 1990, I had a 500SP I forgot about that one.

46 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

idk, Palu runs the NE events though 

at times the cam was pointed right at the speedometer, and if he had a nsp clutch kit he'd have gotten at least 10mph more.  :lol:

that's where a properly aimed go-pro could come in handy... ;)

AXC I do. NEXC guys a weasel lining his own pockets without insurance and runs his mouth about the guy running AXC every chance he gets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airflite1 said:

It was 1990, I had a 500SP I forgot about that one.

I thought like 03 for the F5's the pro class ran 500's.  I remember people talking about running F5's at places like Pine Lake and the Soo and whatnot.

56 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I thought like 03 for the F5's the pro class ran 500's.  I remember people talking about running F5's at places like Pine Lake and the Soo and whatnot.

You going to make Snodeo?

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I believe you’re right because on the Podcast with Glen Arlaud he talks about buying an F5 through the race program but only racing it one year and then going to the F6 he had forever.

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

They have an ass dragger class. You can run up to a 700cc as well. Mother fucking oh tree f7 domination there. 

Edited by Not greg b

46 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

You going to make Snodeo?

IDK, maybe.

24 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I believe you’re right because on the Podcast with Glen Arlaud he talks about buying an F5 through the race program but only racing it one year and then going to the F6 he had forever.

I remember the guy that gave me a chance in XC used to talk about racing an 03 F5 and how his 05 and 06 F6's were slower.