Check your account email address ×

Cheaper then a Corolla

Does that include the cost of setting up to be able to charge at home?  A buddy has a Tesla, and he was talking about those costs just last week.  ~$1800 was what he had to spend to be able to take advantage of charging at home.  I know @BOHICA you have gone next level with your solar array and battery systems, but the $1800 was just the basic wall charger, at least that was my understanding.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Model 3 now cheaper by almost $9k then the average car and truck price.  That is even before factoring in the available tax credit.

https://insideevs.com/news/690613/tesla-prices-fall-below-average-car-costs/

My Corolla is 10 years old. Good for 10 more no problem.

Model 3 is not even close to being on par. Dumbass.

• Gold Member
56 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Does that include the cost of setting up to be able to charge at home?  A buddy has a Tesla, and he was talking about those costs just last week.  ~$1800 was what he had to spend to be able to take advantage of charging at home.  I know @BOHICA you have gone next level with your solar array and battery systems, but the $1800 was just the basic wall charger, at least that was my understanding.

Brand new wall connectors directly from Tesla are $475…. Best Buy is also a retailer which they cost $475 there as well.  Wall connector have 30% tax credit on them as well.  Then you have installation which is just a 3 wire install.  Wire, conduit (if needed) and breaker have 30% tax credit.  Panel upgrades for EV charger also have a tax credit. If you have to pay for the install then you will pay more but will get a 30% tax credit on the entire bill including labor charges.

But I would never pay somebody to wire in anything as it is such a basic process so cost are a fraction for any a DIYers. DIY i can easily put in a Tesla branded charger for under $500 after tax credit.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Bohica's dream garage....took a pic of this a couple hours ago...3 Tesla's ...dime a dozen for this area. Very common car ..And for homeowners to have two or more of them.

Screenshot_20231009_142346_Gallery.jpg

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Bohica's dream garage....took a pic of this a couple hours ago...3 Tesla's ...dime a dozen for this area. Very common car ..And for homeowners to have two or more of them.

Screenshot_20231009_142346_Gallery.jpg

My garage is too small.  I need to finish it.  Slow process as it’s a winter time project.  Need to get the heat pump installed so I can seal my wall back up and start finishing the garage from the top down.  But still garage is full of a couple thousand horsepower of fun even in its unfinished and disastrous shape it is in.  Going to be some dump runs and donation trips to the the animal rescue thrift store this winter.

IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg

IMG_3650.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

So when there is not much demand , the price falls? Ha, who would have thunk

My son is done with his Tesla. He calls it charge anxiety. His wife will keep hers. He's been daily driving his pickup since Labor day weekend.

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

My garage is too small.  I need to finish it.  Slow process as it’s a winter time project.  Need to get the heat pump installed so I can seal my wall back up and start finishing the garage from the top down.  But still garage is full of a couple thousand horsepower of fun even in its unfinished and disastrous shape it is in.  Going to be some dump runs and donation trips to the the animal rescue thrift store this winter.

IMG_3327.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg

IMG_3650.jpeg

I do like the Rivian....I'm burnt out with all the Tesla's around here, they all look the same to me....even the Plaid that lives down the street from me.  Not as many Rivians........yet.

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I do like the Rivian....I'm burnt out with all the Tesla's around here, they all look the same to me....even the Plaid that lives down the street from me.  Not as many Rivians........yet.

Ugliest front end in the business....and people made fun of the cat twin spar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

An old ford running but a project pickup.   But may axe it and get a Cadillac of 59 or 60.  Have to put the 572 crate engine into something and a bagged coupe deville just feels right instead of the pickup.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

An old ford running but a project pickup.   But may axe it and get a Cadillac of 59 or 60.  Have to put the 572 crate engine into something and a bagged coupe deville just feels right instead of the pickup.

late 40's early 50's?   my first 'car' was a '40 CPU

572... have you considered an MG or Healy swap?  :roflcrying:

buddy of mine went from traditional rods into a rockabilly phase... sold his Hemi powered 'A' and is now rolling in a 55 Coupe DeVille 

• Gold Member
23 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

late 40's early 50's?   my first 'car' was a '40 CPU

572... have you considered an MG or Healy swap?  :roflcrying:

buddy of mine went from traditional rods into a rockabilly phase... sold his Hemi powered 'A' and is now rolling in a 55 Coupe DeVille 

1950….

the 572 is destined for a bagged 60 Cadillac in my mind.  It just feels right that way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Ugliest front end in the business....and people made fun of the cat twin spar.

While the rivian is odd looking, every other new 1/2 ton is worse.  They are all fucking bricks with huge headights.  What designers think people want in trucks is borked.

15 hours ago, SkisNH said:

So .... why do they need the tax credit? 

Because they are monstrous pieces of shit.  Without it no one would buy one.  Tax credit should be removed instantly 

14 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Toyota is going to come out of this smelling the best. They have several different platforms ranging from ev to hydrogen, to ammonia fuels. 

Toyota is also ahead of the other mannys in solid state battery research. This will be the key to getting the weight down and eliminate current range shortcomings with traditional batteries for EV’s. We should see this in production in the next 3-5  years.