Check your account email address ×

Another Bering sea crab season, another closure

BOHICA

• Gold Member

Dismal surveys could potentially cause another year of closures as biologist race to find out why the Alaska Bering sea crab population is cratering 

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-bering-sea-fishing-crabs-climate-warming-ocean-5569f639ae3c01f38162f4e4e7023341

Researchers are scrambling to understand crabs’ collapse, with seas warmed by climate change as one theory. Preliminary data from this year’s survey suggest another year of closed or severely limited fisheries, with decisions on crab catch limits expected in early October shortly before the season traditionally opens.

“They’re an Arctic animal,” Litzow said. “Longer term, what we expect is that the fish will be moving farther north as those Arctic characteristics recede in the Bering Sea.”

I wonder if these idiots know that there are 6 billion people that want to be middle class....and they want their piece of the industrial revolution.  Not one fucking thing that a US citizen can do to stop their desire for a better standard of living.  How fucking arrogant of them to try and suppress the economic growth they are entitled to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

I wonder if these idiots know that there are 6 billion people that want to be middle class....and they want their piece of the industrial revolution.  Not one fucking thing that a US citizen can do to stop their desire for a better standard of living.  How fucking arrogant of them to try and suppress the economic growth they are entitled to. 

Very little understand what you just said.  But it is the truth.

Weird that only 3 species of crab are closed for fishing but the others are still open. I guess they didn't get the memo to die in these unusually warm surface temps. They must be the kinds of crab that stay on the bottom. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, HSR said:

Weird that only 3 species of crab are closed ofr fishing but the others are still open. I guess they didn't get the memo to die in these unusually warm surface temps. They must be the kinds of crab that stay on the bottom. 

I bet we will have to buy said crab from a foreign country..

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

I bet we will have to buy said crab from a foreign country..

Exactly!

You should see how big the golden king crab are growing in these warmer waters, it's amazing.

Capt.Bob Nielsen ,on the Deadliest Catch

Screenshot_20230910_170630_Instagram.jpg

• Gold Member
59 minutes ago, HSR said:

Weird that only 3 species of crab are closed for fishing but the others are still open. I guess they didn't get the memo to die in these unusually warm surface temps. They must be the kinds of crab that stay on the bottom. 

Last year king was selling for 49.99lb around here, I was able to pick some up a month ago for 28.99 and golden king was 29.99.

Hopefully more crab is found soon so the price will come down. :lol:

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Very little understand what you just said.  But it is the truth.

WTF does your diatribe have to do with the Alaska fishery? 

10 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Another industry shot to hell from climate change. 

Nothing to do with fishing in molton grounds 

cod fish was at one point so plentiful they cold dip them with nets.

over fishing was the problem 

3 hours ago, toslow said:

I can remember asking a guy from Newfoundland who was working at our plant tuning the burners about it. He fooking lost his shit bye !!!! The rant with the accent was hard to keep a straight face :lol:

3 hours ago, toslow said:

They’ve been picking this area clean for years. Gee I wonder what the problem is? Must be global warming…

• Like 2