Check your account email address ×

The rain is relentless here in the Northeast

23 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Just seen Ludlow VT flood on Fox. Main street is under water.

They appear to have gotten the worst of it.  There are tons of roads washed out throughout the state. Town crews are going to be very busy fixing the dirt roads.

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

imagine the sled trails

That's how our governor got to work today. He walked the snowmobile trails to get to an open road.

Screenshot_20230711-102842.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The storm seemed to travel up the Green Mountains and basically went from the south up to the north. It's amazing how elevation will trap weather systems. I've seen Jay Peak get 2 ft of snow overnight where we get 6 inches or so 20 miles away.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

The storm seemed to travel up the Green Mountains and basically went from the south up to the north. It's amazing how elevation will trap weather systems. I've seen Jay Peak get 2 ft of snow overnight where we get 6 inches or so 20 miles away.

Crazy amount of water fell on the Greens. That's on top of what they have gotten over the past week of wet weather.

During the winter we miss the bulk of the precipitation because the White Mountains to our east wring out the snow creating a shadow effect over the area. When the same storm hits Jay Peak, the mountain wrings out the moisture and they get dumped on. 5 or 10 miles one way or the other can make a big difference in snow totals in the mountains and valleys of New England.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
29 minutes ago, ckf said:

Crazy amount of water fell on the Greens. That's on top of what they have gotten over the past week of wet weather.

During the winter we miss the bulk of the precipitation because the White Mountains to our east wring out the snow creating a shadow effect over the area. When the same storm hits Jay Peak, the mountain wrings out the moisture and they get dumped on. 5 or 10 miles one way or the other can make a big difference in snow totals in the mountains and valleys of New England.

How often do you get weather like this?

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

How often do you get weather like this?

Last time was tropical storm Irene. Rain like this that is this widespread is usually the remnants of a hurricane.

Just now, ckf said:

Last time was tropical storm Irene. Rain like this that is this widespread is usually the remnants of a hurricane.

So in your opinion, this is normal and not happening because of climate change. Or???

Just now, Steve753 said:

So in your opinion, this is normal and not happening because of climate change. Or???

I have no clue. It's not something that I would consider normal in my lifetime from something that wasn't tropical in nature, or an early Nor'easter that got it's moisture from the Atlantic. But it has probably happened at some point in history :dunno:

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I have no clue. It's not something that I would consider normal in my lifetime from something that wasn't tropical in nature, or an early Nor'easter that got it's moisture from the Atlantic. But it has probably happened at some point in history :dunno:

So do you believe if these things become more frequent it's because of humans?

• Haha 1

Just now, Steve753 said:

So do you believe if these things become more frequent it's because of humans?

I'm not a scientist approved by the FS community. There are more than enough here already :lol:  As I have said here before, the earth has been warning since the ice age. I believe that the majority of it is the natural cycle. However, humans are playing a part. I have no idea to the extent. But it is proven that it's warmer in city centers than the suburbs. Less trees and more concrete equals warmer temps. As more trees get cut, temps go up.

As for greenhouse gases and stuff like that. I have no opinion on as I haven't taken the time to properly dig into it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I have no idea how or why - but simple things like a 105mph wind storm in my home town in 1981, has only occurred once, that one time, in RECORDED history.  

If I remember hearing the news blathering about the storms in the north east in my middle of the night sleeplessness, one said something along the lines of this is the worst flooding in 100 years... Well, do we have proof of you making that claim?  Or is that just another way of saying it's never happened before, but apparently it could have... I have no idea.  It's all sensationalism for the media - hey, who doesn't like a cool never seen before raging river taking over a town?  Not that I don't feel bad for those affected.

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

I have no idea how or why - but simple things like a 105mph wind storm in my home town in 1981, has only occurred once, that one time, in RECORDED history.  

If I remember hearing the news blathering about the storms in the north east in my middle of the night sleeplessness, one said something along the lines of this is the worst flooding in 100 years... Well, do we have proof of you making that claim?  Or is that just another way of saying it's never happened before, but apparently it could have... I have no idea.  It's all sensationalism for the media - hey, who doesn't like a cool never seen before raging river taking over a town?  Not that I don't feel bad for those affected.

Most weather records here in the northeast only go back to around the 1880s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

This one is the worst that I've ever seen as far as devastation. Had we not gotten so much rain in the last couple of weeks it probably would have been "minor" flooding. 

19 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

LOL!! I wish.

Scott might be a little more left leaning than most republicans, but he is much better than Shumlin. I still think he had his hands the Burke and Jay Peak mess.

In a state that leans this far left, it would be almost impossible to have a republican governor that isn't kinda centered IMO.

6 hours ago, ckf said:

That's how our governor got to work today. He walked the snowmobile trails to get to an open road.

Screenshot_20230711-102842.png

This is downtown Houghton Michingan in 2018 from flooding that also washed out a number of snowmobile trails.  As late as last year some trails are still closed.

636649257590621855-35518944-10156836397215616-3097188375564648448-n.jpg

Edited by Doug
  • Like 2