Check your account email address ×

‘Lockdowns Had Little to No Effect on COVID Mortality’: New Johns Hopkins Study

• Advertising Member

Opppppppppps

We’re into year three of the COVID-19 pandemic. From mask mandates to vaccine passports, government restrictions on our liberties remain in place. But, thankfully, at least in the US, the era of lockdown orders confining Americans’ to their homes to “slow the spread” is over. 

Unfortunately, a new meta-analysis of studies shows that all the pain and sacrifice we endured from those orders achieved little—despite their tremendous costs. 

The new research review was led by economist Steve Hanke and published by Johns Hopkins University. It evaluated 24 relevant studies examining lockdown stringency, the impact of stay-at-home orders, and the effectiveness of specific restrictions. The meta-analysis concludes that “lockdowns have had little to no effect on COVID-19 mortality.”

Why wouldn’t stay-at-home mandates effectively combat the pandemic? Well, to some extent they simply delayed the inevitable. Plus, research has shown that most COVID-19 spread actually occurred at home. 

“Micro evidence contradicts the public-health ideal in which households would be places of solitary confinement and zero transmission,” University of Chicago economist Casey B. Mulligan concluded. “Instead, the evidence suggests that ‘households show the highest transmission rates’ and that ‘households are high-risk settings for the transmission of [COVID-19].’”

So, however disheartening it may be, it’s hardly surprising that Hanke and co. found such minimal public health impact from lockdown policies. 

“Stringency index studies find that lockdowns in Europe and the United States only reduced COVID-19 mortality by 0.2% on average,” their new research concludes. "[Stay-in-place orders] were also ineffective, only reducing COVID-19 mortality by 2.9% on average. Specific [non-pharmaceutical restriction] studies also find no broad-based evidence of noticeable effects on COVID-19 mortality.”

But the costs of these draconian measures weren’t minimal at all. They devastated the economy, pummeled the working classfueled a youth mental health crisisled to record-breaking drug overdoses, worsened a crime wave, delayed life-saving medical treatments, and so much more.   

These devastating results offer a vivid reminder of a crucial lesson. When central planners, in their hubris, ignore the fact that their actions will have sweeping consequences beyond their intentions, human suffering ensues.

“It’s not enough... to endorse legislation that has a nice title and promises to do something good,” economist Robert P. Murphy wrote for FEE. “People need to think through the full consequences of a policy, because often it will lead to a cure worse than the disease.”

When it comes to lockdown policies, the “cure” has indeed proven far more harmful than helpful.  

https://fee.org/articles/lockdowns-had-little-to-no-effect-on-covid-mortality-new-john-hopkins-study/

What say the resident bootlickers here that we're preaching about saving humankind.... 2 weeks to flatten the curve....blah blah blah.

• Like 1

Micro evidence contradicts the public-health ideal in which households would be places of solitary confinement and zero transmission,” University of Chicago economist Casey B. Mulligan concluded. “Instead, the evidence suggests that ‘households show the highest transmission rates’ and that ‘households are high-risk settings for the transmission of [COVID-19].

From May 7th, 2020 - they already knew if they read their own statistics.

FAC4E252-CA7E-43EB-A41F-A01EC601CF66.jpeg

• Platinum Contributing Member

They 100% understood this from the get go.   It all was about shutting the country down so they could blame Trump.  Dem was in office its handled completely different in an election year. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

They 100% understood this from the get go.   It all was about shutting the country down so they could blame Trump.  Dem was in office its handled completely different in an election year. 

That’s fine but what about lockdowns in the rest of the world…we’re they all in on the blame Trump game?🤷🏻🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That’s fine but what about lockdowns in the rest of the world…we’re they all in on the blame Trump game?🤷🏻🤔

Ahem, its part of the great reset WEF.

Go back and listen to the old man tree debarker and educate yourself.

28 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol: 

34 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Your beyond help…..Jesus that’s fuckin dumb

40 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol: Holy fuck dude - give your head a shake :lmao: 

So if we take the big orange elephant out of the room (Let's see if that can happen), why else did they shut shit down, if clearly, waaaay early, it wasn't working.  Any answers?

If for nothing else, this should remain close enough in our history that we don't forget, DON'T LET THEM SHUT US DOWN!!

18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Or better yet a Canadian one where Canadians can fake being Americans.

Hey dumbo, last i checked this forum also flies the Canadian flag 

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ahem, its part of the great reset WEF.

Go back and listen to the old man tree debarker and educate yourself.

tenor-1.gif

• Advertising Member

42 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Majority of the world went into lockdown. Yet some see it as the dems way to destroy trump. My god what a shitload of retards.  :lol: 

I never mentioned Trump.  I will say that this whole thing is totally fucked...and this usually happens when the government is "fixing" something.

• Advertising Member
25 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Repugs making excuses and trying to lump Joe on with their total failure :lol: 

Any elected official that made decisions during covid (starting with the big orange man alllllllllll the way down to the locals) should be held accountable for this.  Unexpected mortality rates are 20% higher then average.....why do you suppose that is?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Majority of the world went into lockdown. Yet some see it as the dems way to destroy trump. My god what a shitload of retards.  :lol: 

I will say from all my travels during the covid bullshit. The USA and Canada by far had the stricter covid rules from anywhere I went. Some places you didn't even know there was a pandemic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

I will say from all my travels during the covid bullshit. The USA and Canada by far had the stricter covid rules from anywhere I went. Some places you didn't even know there was a pandemic.

You don't even have to leave the US - we went on a road trip vacation that summer, and places like South Dakota, and Wyoming, they NEVER shut down.  Talking with one guy at a local watering hole in Wyoming, he didn't even know what Covid was when we were there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Apparently you never traveled to China or Asia. :lol: