Check your account email address ×

The Teach Act

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Backpacks have to be small here now so no big arsenal.

small backpacks, so kids aren't bringing long guns... seems practical.

• Platinum Contributing Member
25 minutes ago, HSR said:

So you think it's more of a mental health issue correct?

Every country in the world suffers from a population with mental health issues. Why is the US the world leader in mass shootings and especially school shootings? What is the major difference here?

Is it the fact that just about anyone can walk into a store, pick up a dozen donuts and an AR-15 all in the same store? Maybe a little bit?

Wonder why there wasn't all these senseless killing years ago like when I was growing up. Guns were just as available back then. I remember one bomb threat at the mall when I was a child. And that was unheard of really. Kids these days seem to have no respect for human life (theirs or anyone else) or respect for firearms. Columbine in 1999 up to now has seen a steady increase of this shit. It's fucking sad

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Wonder why there wasn't all these senseless killing years ago like when I was growing up. Guns were just as available back then. I remember one bomb threat at the mall when I was a child. And that was unheard of really. Kids these days seem to have no respect for human life (theirs or anyone else) or respect for firearms. Columbine in 1999 up to now has seen a steady increase of this shit. It's fucking sad

Yup times change and to think you guys base your lives off of a constitution written in 1867 when times were FAR different than now is ludicrous.  This isn't what they meant when they stated the need for the right to bear arms. The obvious disregard for human life in the US is at a breaking point and as much as it's gonna rustle some jammies the status quo isn't cutting it anymore.

Fun Fact: More children were killed in the USA last year than in the Ukraine. Crazy eh?

Good Read:  https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/2018/02/15/flashback-30-years-guns-schools-nothing-happened-n124076

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in 2018.

The millennial generation might be surprised to learn that theirs is the first without guns in school. Just 30 years ago, high school kids rode the bus with rifles and shot their guns at high school rifle ranges.

After another school shooting, it’s time to ask: what changed?

Cross guns off the list of things that changed in thirty years. In 1985, semi-automatic rifles existed, and a semi-automatic rifle was used in Florida. Guns didn’t suddenly decide to visit mayhem on schools. Guns can’t decide.

We can also cross the Second Amendment off the list. It existed for over 200 years before this wickedness unfolded. Nothing changed in the Constitution.

That leaves us with some uncomfortable possibilities remaining. What has changed from thirty years ago when kids could take firearms into school responsibly and today might involve some difficult truths.

Let’s inventory the possibilities.

What changed? The mainstreaming of nihilism. Cultural decay. Chemicals. The deliberate destruction of moral backstops in the culture. A lost commonality of shared societal pressures to enforce right and wrong. And above all, simple, pure, evil.

Before you retort that we can’t account for the mentally ill, they existed forever.

Paranoid schizophrenics existed in 1888 and 2018. Mentally ill students weren’t showing up in schools with guns even three decades ago.

So it must be something else.

Those who have been so busy destroying the moral backstops in our culture won’t want to have this conversation. They’ll do what they do — mock the truth.

There was a time in America, before the Snowflakes, when any adult on the block could reprimand a neighborhood kid who was out of line without fear.

Even thirty years ago, the culture still had invisible restraints developed over centuries. Those restraints, those leveling commonalities, were the target of a half-century of attack by the freewheeling counterculture that has now become the dominant replacement culture.

Hollywood made fun of these restraints in films too numerous to list.

The sixties mantra “don’t trust anyone over thirty” has become a billion-dollar industry devoted to the child always being right — a sometimes deeply medicated brat who disrupts the classroom or escapes what used to be resolved with a paddling.

Instead of telling the kid to quit kicking the back of the seat on a plane, we buy seat guards to protect the seat.

If you think it’s bad now, just wait until the generation whose babysitter is an iPhone is in high school. You can hardly walk around Walmart these days without tripping over a toddler in a trance, staring at a screen.

The high school kids who shot rifles in school in 1985 were taught right and wrong. They were taught what to do with their rifle in school, and what not to do. If they got out of line, all the other students and the coach would have come down on them hard. There were no safe spaces, and that was a good thing.

Culture is a powerful force for good. When good behavior is normalized and deviant destructive behavior is ostracized, shamed, and marginalized, you get more good behavior.

Considering evil in this debate makes some of you uncomfortable, but evil bathes all of these shootings. I am reminded of Justice Antonin Scalia’s spectacularly funny and profound interview in 2013 when he toyed with a New Yorker reporter about evil. “You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil!”, he chortled.

Thirty years ago, kids who brought their rifles to the high school shooting range didn’t wonder about evil and cultural decay. They simply lived in a time in America when right and wrong were more starkly defined, where expectations about behavior were clear, and wickedness hadn’t been normalized.

The idea that guns caused the carnage we have faced is so intellectually bankrupt that it isn’t worth discussing. Remembering where we were as a nation just 30 years ago makes it even more so. It’s time to ask what changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

Yup times change and to think you guys base your lives off of a constitution written in 1867 when times were FAR different than now is ludicrous.  This isn't what they meant when they stated the need for the right to bear arms. The obvious disregard for human life in the US is at a breaking point and as much as it's gonna rustle some jammies the status quo isn't cutting it anymore.

Fun Fact: More children were killed in the USA last year than in the Ukraine. Crazy eh?

How did we make it for 125+ years without this nonsense is what I want to know. doing away with the 2nd Amendment is going to cause an absolute shitstorm of epic proportions. Of those kids who died how many were killed by other kids? 

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

How did we make it for 125+ years without this nonsense is what I want to know. doing away with the 2nd Amendment is going to cause an absolute shitstorm of epic proportions. Of those kids who died how many were killed by other kids? 

From the article I posted:

What changed? The mainstreaming of nihilism. Cultural decay. Chemicals. The deliberate destruction of moral backstops in the culture. A lost commonality of shared societal pressures to enforce right and wrong. And above all, simple, pure, evil.

Before you retort that we can’t account for the mentally ill, they existed forever.

Paranoid schizophrenics existed in 1888 and 2018. Mentally ill students weren’t showing up in schools with guns even three decades ago.

17 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I don't recall seeing many 'weapons of war' when I was growing up... deer rifles, shotguns and the occasional revolver.   

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/12/nyregion/police-turning-to-9-mm-guns-to-fight-crime.html

letting the 'scary guns' ban law eclipse... probably was a big mistake and history will be the judge.

9 minutes ago, HSR said:

shame no mass shooters haven't gone to the NRA headquarters to test their theory...

I'm not sure but the US beat the Ukraine 4x over last year alone, and they are at war.

9 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Otb, I haven't seen anyone here on FS call for that... and imo I don't feel most reasonable or rational people in this country want to see it done away with either. 

57 minutes ago, HSR said:

So you think it's more of a mental health issue correct?

Every country in the world suffers from a population with mental health issues. Why is the US the world leader in mass shootings and especially school shootings? What is the major difference here?

Is it the fact that just about anyone can walk into a store, pick up a dozen donuts and an AR-15 all in the same store? Maybe a little bit?

I think it's a lack of respect for human life issue. I also don't think a sane person would shoot and or kill another person for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I don't recall seeing many 'weapons of war' when I was growing up... deer rifles, shotguns and the occasional revolver.   

"Weapons of war"  :lol: Does that still cover muskets?

It's probably a good thing these kids haven't turned their attention to shotguns

• Like 1

More kids died in the US than Ukraine?  I guess that's called simple math.  Last I checked, the under 18 population of the US was something like 22% ... so roughly 70 million kids.  The entire population of Ukraine is ~44 million.  Maybe instead of taking whatever shock and awe headline that came from, break it down to the % of gang related deaths in the US to put it in perspective.  Gang related deaths and suicide far outweigh mass shootings (not that any of them are justifiable).

I thought this thread was about arming teachers, according to someone else's rant this morning :news:

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Otb, I haven't seen anyone here on FS call for that... and imo I don't feel most reasonable or rational people in this country want to see it done away with either. 

Read the post I was responding too that talked about the Constitution

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

"Weapons of war"  :lol: Does that still cover muskets?

It's probably a good thing these kids haven't turned their attention to shotguns

no, should we go back to whatever weapons of war were available when the 2nd amendment passed? 

you must have missed the 'scary guns' and 'weapons of war' comments from the 170? mass shootings thread. 

Read the post I was responding too that talked about the Constitution

which one?  

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

no, should we go back to whatever weapons of war were available when the 2nd amendment passed? 

you must have missed the 'scary guns' and 'weapons of war' comments from the 170? mass shootings thread. 

which one?  

image.thumb.png.823dd2eeeba7219274db2e1e7da9e5a0.png

24 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I think it's a lack of respect for human life issue. I also don't think a sane person would shoot and or kill another person for no reason.

Is this a result of today's kids growing up with the video games of today?

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, HSR said:

1867? :dunno:

11 minutes ago, ckf said:

Is this a result of today's kids growing up with the video games of today?

IMO it might be a "part" of the puzzle, the mental disconnect. Also my opinion that parenting is part of the puzzle. Morals are a parts of the puzzle. 

• Like 2

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, HSR said:

Sorry was it 1787?? US history isn't my strong suit :dunno:

What's 100 years among friends!  :bc:

Edit: most Americans don't even know!  :lol:

Edited by Kivalo

46 minutes ago, Bontz said:

More kids died in the US than Ukraine?  I guess that's called simple math.  Last I checked, the under 18 population of the US was something like 22% ... so roughly 70 million kids.  The entire population of Ukraine is ~44 million.  Maybe instead of taking whatever shock and awe headline that came from, break it down to the % of gang related deaths in the US to put it in perspective.  Gang related deaths and suicide far outweigh mass shootings (not that any of them are justifiable).

I thought this thread was about arming teachers, according to someone else's rant this morning :news:

As long as you can break it down statistically to your level of acceptance, good for you. They are at war, you're in peacetime.

Yes arming teachers because kids are getting killed capiche? Man you're starting to annoy with your Badger level responses

18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It definitely plays into it, yes.

But again only in the US right?Nobody else plays those games in the world.

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Blame it on the metric system :roflcrying:

Ok Bontzer**.