Check your account email address ×

Just had a full grown timber wolf run through...

the woods behind my house while I was on the deck in basically downtown Wausau. 

Normal wildlife here being loads of deer, fox, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, fischer, coyote, tons of raptors and during fawning season the occasional bear... but never in 17 years have I seen a wolf. 

Of course the game camera I just ordered yesterday isn't here yet... this is our back yard.

IMG_20230423_100457612_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, toslow said:

They usually run in packs, probably got a few more around

we have wolves around in the UP... have never seen one around here and I grew up spending more time in the woods than in the house.

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we have wolves around in the UP... have never seen one around here and I grew up spending more time in the woods than in the house.

$100 says you got a cougar and a few Bobcats around there too.   

6 minutes ago, Badger** said:

$100 says you got a cougar and a few Bobcats around there too.   

we had bobcat's around the Eau Claire river in Weston were I grew up.   there's been Big Cat sightings just north of our home in Wausau and I know they've also been spotted in an area where you and I both have family and friends an hour east of here.

the deer population around here is quite thick (16 in the back yard Friday morning), this wolf was not skinny, looked well fed and was on the move.  mostly tan and grey in color... big f'er.    

of all the times not to have a phone or way to capture the moment... ARGHHHH!!!

30 minutes ago, toslow said:

They usually run in packs, probably got a few more around

Yes for the most part but solitary lone wolves are also very common. My trail cam 200 yds behind my house get lotsa of pics of the same wolf and same yote always alone. 

19 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we had bobcat's around the Eau Claire river in Weston were I grew up.   there's been Big Cat sightings just north of our home in Wausau and I know they've also been spotted in an area where you and I both have family and friends an hour east of here.

the deer population around here is quite thick (16 in the back yard Friday morning), this wolf was not skinny, looked well fed and was on the move.  mostly tan and grey in color... big f'er.    

They are a beautiful spirit animal 

its incredible how stealthy big cats are.  The little town i lived in growing up had tons of bobcats around but you just never saw them.  the local animal control peeps tagged 17 one spring all caught within 100yds of homes. to top that a buddy had a juvenile moose walk across the road in front of him in Hopkinton Ma. a couple years ago.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Very cool but on the other hand I’m not sure I’d want them that close. Or big cats for that matter

it was within 30 yards of my deck.  thankfully sleeping old dog was inside napping. 

9 minutes ago, toslow said:

They are a beautiful spirit animal 

with certainty :thumbsup: 

there are many here in WI/MN/MI that detest them and it's typically over deer which are quite plentiful.  We hit roughly 19,000 deer per year with our cars in Wisconsin, then leave them alongside the road for other animals to feast off the carcass and also dodge cars while doing so.  😂 

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/doing-bus/real-estate/roadsides/deercarcassremoval.aspx

I feel they have and deserve their place in nature and was extremely fortunate to see one today... in a quite peculiar place. 

IMG_20230423_110911759_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Pic doesn’t really do this guy justice - 2 years ago south of Ely, MN - came upon a bridge and he was standing on the other end.  Trotted into the woods and started walking about 30’ off the trail, it was DEEP here and his belly was still above the snow… I’ve seen many over the years in northern Sconnie and northern MN, but this one was a monster!

21056DA0-FDE0-4D7C-9559-29938159B06B.png

• Like 6

Just now, Mag6240 said:

Pic doesn’t really do this guy justice - 2 years ago south of Ely, MN - came upon a bridge and he was standing on the other end.  Trotted into the woods and started walking about 30’ off the trail, it was DEEP here and his belly was still above the snow… I’ve seen many over the years in northern Sconnie and northern MN, but this one was a monster!

21056DA0-FDE0-4D7C-9559-29938159B06B.png

I'd rate this fellow in the top two I've seen in the wild on height... but number one on his overall mass. 

The critters use our neighborhood as a runway to the Wisconsin river to drink, and the deer generally find it very safe here.  We regularly have two to four doe give birth behind the house and get to watch the fawns grow.  Had one walk within four feet of me couple summers ago until mom snorted at the cute little bugger.  Black Bear also love fawns, which I've had twenty feet off the deck.

we're the blue dot...

Screenshot_20230423-112231.png

• Like 1

I've seen hundreds dead/alive in my years of hunting up here. My closest encounter was years ago at our old place out of town. Wife yelled WOLVES while washing the dishes so I ran outside and our old collie was sleeping on the steps so I pulled him in the house and ran outside to get to the garage where my guns were and came face to face with an extremely mature male wolf about 20ft apart. There was a pail beside me so I threw it at him and that gave me room to get to the garage. He bolted before I got back. I've watched them go buy my treestands and if they don't wind you they are cool to watch.

32 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

There are some Hybrids running around CT and MA. 

CoyWolfs and even domestic dog hybrids . 

My buddy got some video of big coywolf trotting along the road side a couple years ago, before it disappeared into the woods. We have seen pretty much everything here behind our house, no bears, but plenty have been seen around the state, seem like they're all tagged.  No wolves or mountain lions though.  A couple weeks about heard some coyotes yipping away in the field out behind the house, so lit them up with the LED flashlight. Saw 6 sets of eyes staring back at me, almost every night 1-2 out there sniffing for rabbits or moles. Kind of weird how the CT DEP swears there are no mountain lions, even though plenty of people swear they've seen them.  Bobcats aren't 3 ft at the shoulder with 3 foot tails.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, HSR said:

I've seen hundreds dead/alive in my years of hunting up here. My closest encounter was years ago at our old place out of town. Wife yelled WOLVES while washing the dishes so I ran outside and our old collie was sleeping on the steps so I pulled him in the house and ran outside to get to the garage where my guns were and came face to face with an extremely mature male wolf about 20ft apart. There was a pail beside me so I threw it at him and that gave me room to get to the garage. He bolted before I got back. I've watched them go buy my treestands and if they don't wind you they are cool to watch.

domestic dogs against even a lone wolf or few coyotes doesn't stand a chance.  couple years ago my buddy was out with his labs and a female wolf tried luring his youngest male to follow her and he had a hard time getting him to come back... he now carries a sidearm on his land without fail.

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My buddy got some video of big coywolf trotting along the road side a couple years ago, before it disappeared into the woods. We have seen pretty much everything here behind our house, no bears, but plenty have been seen around the state, seem like they're all tagged.  No wolves or mountain lions though.  A couple weeks about heard some coyotes yipping away in the field out behind the house, so lit them up with the LED flashlight. Saw 6 sets of eyes staring back at me, almost every night 1-2 out there sniffing for rabbits or moles. Kind of weird how the CT DEP swears there are no mountain lions, even though plenty of people swear they've seen them.  Bobcats aren't 3 ft at the shoulder with 3 foot tails.

careful with your pets if you have any, as coyotes will lure them in and the outcome is not pretty.  when we're in the UP we have to be cautious with our old dog as there's a large pack that dens about half a mile from the cottage.  they can make a helluva racket when they get back from killing if there's pups.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I've been hearing for years now the Pelican Lake Wolf Pack has been moving south due to the devastation to the deer population in the area. Remember when the DNR said there are no big Cats in the state and one was spotted on my land and east of Antigo and up by Pickerel? I'm sure it was the same big Cat.  

I have been told that the Pelican Lake Pack is one of three packs they reintroduced back into Wisconsin.:dunno:

23 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

careful with your pets if you have any, as coyotes will lure them in and the outcome is not pretty.  when we're in the UP we have to be cautious with our old dog as there's a large pack that dens about half a mile from the cottage.  they can make a helluva racket when they get back from killing if there's pups.

Yeah about 10 years ago they tried luring our Airedale into the woods at the last house.  Wife let him out to do his business one morning, and i was still upstairs and heard him barking like crazy, which was pretty uncharacteristic of him.  Looked out the window and saw a coyote in our back yard about 10 ft. from the treeline, and he's wagging his tail at our dog like he wanted him to come play.  Old boy was well past his fighting years, so I ran downstairs and the coyote trotted off as soon as I opened the slider. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I've been hearing for years now the Pelican Lake Wolf Pack has been moving south due to the devastation to the deer population in the area. Remember when the DNR said there are no big Cats in the state and one was spotted on my land and east of Antigo and up by Pickerel? I'm sure it was the same big Cat.  

I have been told that the Pelican Lake Pack is one of three packs they reintroduced back into Wisconsin.:dunno:

I wouldn't doubt the pack migrating to better hunting grounds for a moment.  Deer are edge browsers, farm country is ideal for them and their natural predators.  A pride of lions would do the same, circle of life...

there's big cats in WI/UP for sure... they're just not easy to monitor, their numbers are low and they are solitary the vast majority of the time.  

• Gold Member

I hear the Coyotes almost everynight out here . So get this , last year I went to tie up my dog one morning . Have like 150 ft rope attached to a regular dog leash. Pull the rope in and the leash was shredded in half the other end nowhere in sight. :dunno:

I was like WTF so took a walk around the property and found the other end way out along the tree line ! Had to of been Coyotes or bobcat that grabbed it off smell and snapped/shredded it. Looked like someone cut it with a knife . Crazy . 

Edited by EvilBird
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We have lots of wolves in our area, i hate the bastards and wish the dnr would let us regulate the population! I'm not guy who wants them extinct but the numbers are just too high in this area. Very few deer left and we're starting to see bear hair in wolf shit midwinter and early summer when the cubs come out. I've seen pictures of dug up bear dens in winter where the wolves killed the bear. Imo that's not normal and comes from a lack of regular food sources in the area. I'm glad to see them showing up down south where there's more food. Hopefully a bunch more move that way and give us a bit of a break up here

• Like 2

Lots of coydogs running around in my neighborhood, i have seen the last few wks coyotes running in the farmers fields 

this guy was trying to cross the road when i interrupted him 

881FEA5D-A73B-4747-B4C9-FD136547643D.jpeg

EAB22EC1-14C6-4FE5-AB11-445440A3AA88.jpeg

Edited by toslow
  • Like 1