Check your account email address ×

The answer to stopping mass shootings

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, sleepybrew said:

just like guns, hurt no one unless you shoot them

Someone else smoking can't kill you instantly. Someone shooting you with a gun can though. It's a ridiculous comparison on your part.

29 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Correct , school type shooters suffer from low self esteem / worthlessness.

Criminal types dont value / respect life. 

How do we change that? 

There’s not a clear way that I see.  Every solution delves into an authoritarian control scenario.  Rights/freedoms will be taken away to reduce violence.  I don’t see that happening in the near term.  :dunno:

Neal

24 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Its hard for people to get around guns don’t kill on their own and there have always been easy/ easier access to guns, yet the school/ mass  shooting is a relatively new epidemic.  So, I think logically one would ask…what has changed? 

I wouldn’t say it’s relatively new, it’s decades and decades old.

One thing that has changed is the ease of ability to get semi-automatic weapons and ammunition.  The sheer amount of options is impressive.

Neal

My in-law's tried to corner me with the mass shooting debate Saturday night. :lmao:  They are lifelong democrats who are far from hardcore left wing.  Ending up a nice discussion that I steered away from the gun issue as I knew that is where they wanted it to go and they know my position on them.

Whatever the reason and I'm sure their are many but as a society we have less respect for life than maybe anytime in our history.  Ties in with us becoming weaker and weaker mentally.   Everyone's a victim these days.   Too many people don't want to just die but want notoriety in doing so.    

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Avoiding mass shootings is easy. Don’t go where and when a lot of people congregate. 

Pretty much.

That being said , one who isnt involved in criminal activity has quite a small chance of being a victom of gun violence.

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Avoiding mass shootings is easy. Don’t go where and when a lot of people congregate. 

So people should home school their children  you're saying?

Edited by Steve753

42 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Someone else smoking can't kill you instantly. Someone shooting you with a gun can though. It's a ridiculous comparison on your part.

over 400k a year die. no not instantly. but if we are preventing deaths, that would be a good way to start. we are talking about deaths right?

5 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

over 400k a year die. no not instantly. but if we are preventing deaths, that would be a good way to start. we are talking about deaths right?

No killings.

One chooses to smoke,, one does not choose to get shot in a mass shooting.

A person could argue smoking has been part of your "culture" as long as guns. Can't fuck with culture :thumb: Also not many kids dying from smoking so there is that too.

4 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

Suicide and murder are vastly separate issues.  One has the right to smoke/drink/eat themselves into a deadly situation, one does not have the right to put another in the same situation.

Neal

12 minutes ago, HSR said:

No killings.

One chooses to smoke,, one does not choose to get shot in a mass shooting.

A person could argue smoking has been part of your "culture" as long as guns. Can't fuck with culture :thumb: Also not many kids dying from smoking so there is that too.

Some don't see the difference.

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I wouldn’t say it’s relatively new, it’s decades and decades old.

One thing that has changed is the ease of ability to get semi-automatic weapons and ammunition.  The sheer amount of options is impressive.

Neal

I never even thought about my kids being shot at school. 
No actual shootings, but in the last few years there has probably been 20 threats at the HS they attended.  Zero threats for the 4 years I attended. 

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

So people should home school their children  you're saying?

That’s an option. If parents have the skill to teach and ability to properly socialize children. Unfortunately many parents that do home school have poor skills. I have some family members that home school their kids and they have social delays. 

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Pretty much.

That being said , one who isnt involved in criminal activity has quite a small chance of being a victom of gun violence.

The risk of being a victim of violent crime is dependent on where you hang your hat. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t have a choice to get up and leave 

• Like 1

Ban Vehicles:

42,915 people

A statistical projection of traffic fatalities for 2021 shows that an estimated 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes nationwide. This represents an increase of about 10.5 percent as compared to 38,824 fatalities reported in 2020, as shown in Table 1.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Ban Vehicles:

42,915 people

A statistical projection of traffic fatalities for 2021 shows that an estimated 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes nationwide. This represents an increase of about 10.5 percent as compared to 38,824 fatalities reported in 2020, as shown in Table 1.

What are the numbers for vehicular manslaughter? The discussion is not about accidental mass shootings.Nobody trips and falls down and accidentally shoots ten people. 

15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That’s an option. If parents have the skill to teach and ability to properly socialize children. Unfortunately many parents that do home school have poor skills. I have some family members that home school their kids and they have social delays. 

Always wondered how socialy retarded home schooled kids were. School is a lot more then just math and science

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

What are the numbers for vehicular manslaughter? The discussion is not about accidental mass shootings.

correct , it isnt. Yet a lot more then 1/2 of those collisions resulting in death are avoidable

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Ban Vehicles:

42,915 people

You're missing the point. 

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Nope, I'm not, guns don't kill people.

Yes you are. Guns do kill people. If guns didn't exist people wouldn't be killed by them.