Check your account email address ×

The answer to stopping mass shootings

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

No one really wants a honest discussion. 

:thumb: That seems to be the case. It also seems there is no middle ground for some people. Change is hard for people to accept.

In this American town, guns are required by law

By Omar Jimenez, CNN

Video Ad Feedback
This city requires residents to own a gun
01:10 - Source: CNN
CNN — 

As the debate over guns continues in Washington and in communities across the country, there’s at least one place where owning a gun is technically required by law.

In Kennesaw, Georgia, local law says that “every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm.”

“If you’re going to commit a crime in Kennesaw and you’re the criminal – are you going to take a chance that that homeowner is a law-abiding citizen?” asked Kennesaw Mayor Derek Easterling.

Wayne Arnold is one of those citizens. Among the weapons he keeps at home are an AR-15-style .223 caliber rifle, a variety of handguns and more.

“It gives me the ability to protect myself as opposed to being somewhere where you weren’t allowed to have a firearm or it was frowned upon,” said Arnold.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Do you truely beleive that if there were no guns people who want to kill would not seek out other meathods ?

Steve  he/ him

Certainly not to the degree guns make available.  The ability to inflict harm is clearly astronomically higher with firearms than any other tool/weapon.

Do you truly believe we wouldn’t see a decrease in mass killings if all guns suddenly vanished?  

Neal

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

The guy that shot up all those kids at Michigan state was caught carrying without a permit 4 years ago. Felony charge bargained down to a misdemeanor?

WTF? With a felony charge he wouldn’t have been able to get a gun legally. We keep letting these guys walk and this is what you get. Duh, more crime.

It’s a hard road for sure.   People don’t want rights taken away.  It’s a natural condition.

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Certainly not to the degree guns make available.  The ability to inflict harm is clearly astronomically higher with firearms than any other tool/weapon.

Do you truly believe we wouldn’t see a decrease in mass killings if all guns suddenly vanished?  

Neal

Yes you would see a decrease. In fact for the first few months it would probably be a substantial decrease . 

Thing is guns are not going to suddenly vanish anymore then fruitloops and criminals are going to suddenly vanish. 

But these are the conversations people do want to have because a serious one that may or may not produce results is something everyone seems to want to avoid.

42 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I think if we can call people out for saying thoughts and prayers we can call also call others out on meaningless word salad, ignoring urban gun violence,ignoring mental illness,   and talking about changing voting laws. No one really wants a honest discussion. 

Indeed, I agree.  No one wants to realize that giving up guns, or placing huge restrictions on guns will help curb the problem.  Those rights are not even considered.   There isn’t a single path that will fix our gun violence problem, and there doesn’t seem to be much interest to solve the problem.  We just want to ignore it and hope the numbers go down .

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Yes you would see a decrease. In fact for the first few months it would probably be a substantial decrease . 

Thing is guns are not going to suddenly vanish anymore then fruitloops and criminals are going to suddenly vanish. 

But these are the conversations people do want to have because a serious one that may or may not produce results is something everyone seems to want to avoid.

I agree that guns will not vanish, I don’t think we have any viable paths to fix our issue presently.  

We would have to deploy a large anti-gun/red flag/see something(gun) say something society.  Basically do a 1984 on guns, and that isn’t going to happen.

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

I agree that guns will not vanish, I don’t think we have any viable paths to fix our issue presently.  

We would have to deploy a large anti-gun/red flag/see something(gun) say something society.  Basically do a 1984 on guns, and that isn’t going to happen.

Neal

Correct , that being said if the gvmt is willing to spend 3 million $ studying why bugs fuck, maybe try to figure out why Americans are facscinated with killing each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Correct , that being said if the gvmt is willing to spend 3 million $ studying why bugs fuck, maybe try to figure out why Americans are facscinated with killing each other.

There are a multitude of reasons, it’s not mysterious, I don’t believe.  “Thoughts and prayers” and “discipline your kids!” isn’t going to make any advancements though, that’s clear.

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

There are a multitude of reasons, it’s not mysterious, I don’t believe.  “Thoughts and prayers” and “discipline your kids!” isn’t going to make any advancements though, that’s clear.

Neal

Correct , school type shooters suffer from low self esteem / worthlessness.

Criminal types dont value / respect life. 

How do we change that? 

20 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Indeed, I agree.  No one wants to realize that giving up guns, or placing huge restrictions on guns will help curb the problem.  Those rights are not even considered.   There isn’t a single path that will fix our gun violence problem, and there doesn’t seem to be much interest to solve the problem.  We just want to ignore it and hope the numbers go down .

Neal

Its hard for people to get around guns don’t kill on their own and there have always been easy/ easier access to guns, yet the school/ mass  shooting is a relatively new epidemic.  So, I think logically one would ask…what has changed? 

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Its hard for people to get around guns don’t kill on their own and there have always been easy/ easier access to guns, yet the school/ mass  shooting is a relatively new epidemic.  So, I think logically one would ask…what has changed? 

One thing that has changed is social media.

When I was in school the kids that got bullied got it for 6 hrs a day max. Now it never ends

Just now, steve from amherst said:

One thing that has changed is social media.

When I was in school the kids that got bullied got it for 6 hrs a day max. Now it never ends

Yup!  Along with instant fame.  The first thing the Oxford shooter wanted was access to social media to see what people were saying about him.  

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Yup!  Along with instant fame.  The first thing the Oxford shooter wanted was access to social media to see what people were saying about him.  

That is why the media shouldnt name these people.

They should be called the POS loser with no life who was a waste of oxogen

• Thanks 1