Check your account email address ×

CB radio

Pete

you got the silver ball here.  i played a lot of pinball then.            we had such shitty range in the woods in Stow back in the day it was real work to pick up anything worthwhile. it was when i started driving south i learned it wasnt JUST for local use. i was blown away at the range of some of the guys with gain amps.         some could walk on anything on the air.    remember that sound?       bonggggg---- like the wizard of oz loud!! lol

Edited by old indy

My dad had one of those whip antennas on the 72 Chevy c10. Slide track was a new concept.

Still use it if I’m going north with buds.

10-4

10-10

10-20

10-100

lol

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Any of you guys owned one back in the day? Everybody and their brother had one.
My dad was pretty big into it. My handle was Woodstock.

Fun memories..

I still have 5, 1 is also sideband and another is upper and lower sideband. My handle was Novacaine.

I also had Ham Radios, 1 was a Johnson Valiant, 300 watts, sold that many years ago.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It’s all we had to communicate between vehicles when we went north to sled. I still have mine on the garage shelf.

x2.  We used to use them too.   Now I have a VHF on the boat and it feels weird talking like that, repeating everything twice etc....."copy that" lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

My dad had one of those whip antennas on the 72 Chevy c10. Slide track was a new concept.

Still use it if I’m going north with buds.

10-4

10-10

10-20

10-100

lol

I had a 102" whip on one of my 1957 Chevies.

• Haha 1

Whips 102" or actually 108" with the spring, were 1/4 wave length, CB is 36 feet, 11 meter band. Whips worked better than base loaded antennas, based loaded were actually 36 feet with the coil, those smaller antennas usually had/have a 40" whip.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Met quite a few town ppl through the cb when I was young. Smokey and the bandit was out and my dad was driving big rigs. It was a fun time. 

I started on CB in 1962 or 63, back then you had to have a license to operate a CB.

• Gold Member

Dad had 'em in his Suburban's . He would use it all the time heading north with the Sleds also or any road trip really for that matter. Always was fun hearing the shit talking between truckers lol 

I found my Uniden in the garage last week... ironic.

I was actually trained in the Army as my first MOS as a Radio/Teletype guy.

Hearing XCR reminds me of when the Sgt told me I had to go "cut a doublet", which meant you had to determine the length of an antenna based on the frequency. Never had to do it often, but the worst part of that job.

Anyway, the military word for radio/teletype shelter is a RATT Rig.

Hence, I was Ratt Rig...

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Whips 102" or actually 108" with the spring, were 1/4 wave length, CB is 36 feet, 11 meter band. Whips worked better than base loaded antennas, based loaded were actually 36 feet with the coil, those smaller antennas usually had/have a 40" whip.

K-40

K40.JPG

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

Hearing XCR reminds me of when the Sgt told me I had to go "cut a doublet", which meant you had to determine the length of an antenna based on the frequency. Never had to do it often, but the worst part of that job.

Hence, I was Ratt Rig...

Radios were one of my hobbies, I bought so many radios and electronic devices from Amateur Electronics in Milwaukee back then, that place had anything you wanted or needed to "get out".

I had a Home roof mounted Super Magnum and Collinear 2 antenna and a Ham radio antenna with rotor on my home and out buildings.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Radios were one of my hobbies, I bought so many radios and electronic devices from Amateur Electronics in Milwaukee back then, that place had anything you wanted or needed to "get out".

I had a Home roof mounted Super Magnum and Collinear 2 antenna and a Ham radio antenna with rotor on my home and out buildings.

In all actuality, I hated that job. While it was nice to be in a warm, dry shelter in the bad weather (a big plus in the military), it was just too dry and boring. Going to Germany and being tasked in COMSEC put me where I belonged.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Hence, I was Ratt Rig...

I still have a meter somewhere for that from Radio Shack

8 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

was a hobby of mine for awhile, although I never went full ham I did have a converted Galaxy Saturn base unit hooked to a Moonraker 4 beam with some fire in the wire, wife was MARS radio operator in USMC and we were going to go ham but never did

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My dad had one briefly....was fun going on trips and being alerted by the truckers telling where the speed traps were.......I dont think he had it all that long before some Niggers busted a window and stole it :lol:...yeah part of the reason I don't care for them.  My opinions were molded into me at a very young age.