Check your account email address ×

2nd mortgages to cover heat?

BOHICA

13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the heating bill comment was a joke... did you and Pete get your GEDs from the same place?

I got 3 methods to heat this house... soon to be four.

I ain't gonna whine about it... I do something about it.

Did you get your doctorate the same place Bohica did?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Going to be needed for some to keep warm.  

Based on current estimates for fuel prices if, as forecast, there's a slightly colder winter ahead, the EIA estimates that heating a home with natural gas heating costs will rise about $200 on average, or 28% to $931 for the winter.

Still, that's not as bad as heating oil costs, which are forecast to jump $1,200, or 27% to $2,354. Electric heating costs could rise $123, or 10%, to $1,359, while propane heating costs are expected to rise $80, or 5%, to $1,688.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/12/energy/heating-costs/index.html

If you need to mortgage your house for $1200 you probably shouldn't have the fucking house.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

4 different methods of heating!!!  Talk about a retarded waste!

Heat pumps don't count as a source of heat for a lot of lenders, so I kept the oil burner. Even pulled the old tanks and replaced them.

The rest I agree are superfluous, but will come in handy if no oil or grid.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

If I were younger I might do GeoThermal.

With the upfront cost and maintenance the payback would take a long time. You also have to have to take into consideration your property lay out.

3 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

With the upfront cost and maintenance the payback would take a long time. You also have to have to take into consideration your property lay out.

I have over 5 acres..I checked on it some time ago, very costly.

we need to harness our seasons. ridiculous every year, fight the heat with the a/c , then a month later looking for heat. then back the other way. too bad we can't capture all that summer heat, and use it in the winter, and the same with the cold for summer. what we need occurs natural , we just have to store it. they had ice houses back in the day for ice, but keeping the heat would be tough

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

The length of time for payback is relative. If fuel oil and NG spirals up to the sky it’ll be a great deal. 

Edited by spin_dry

39 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The length of time for payback is relative. If fuel oil and NG spirals up to the sky it’ll be a great deal. 

I highly doubt NG will go nuts, geothermal will always be expensive to install. It isn’t for the average person, it’s mostly for wealthy nerds.

Just now, snoughnut said:

I highly doubt NG will go nuts, geothermal will always be expensive to install. It isn’t for the average person, it’s mostly for wealthy nerds.

I’m reading in these forum pages that people are going to be taking out second mortgages to keep from freezing this winter 

14 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

we need to harness our seasons. ridiculous every year, fight the heat with the a/c , then a month later looking for heat. then back the other way. too bad we can't capture all that summer heat, and use it in the winter, and the same with the cold for summer. what we need occurs natural , we just have to store it. they had ice houses back in the day for ice, but keeping the heat would be tough

if we all lived and worked underground like mole people it would be more efficient and inexpensive.

:sarcasm1: heads up for snake 

:lol: