Check your account email address ×

no phones or internet at work today

If you think about it, you are so much more productive these days with all of the high tech tools we have, you are still better off in the end if you lose power for a day a couple of times a year.  

Can't remember the last time I had to add paper to a binder or notebook, unjam a stapler, find a pen because mine ran out of ink...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

someone hit a major line

can't do jack squat without it and productivity will suffer 

we're far too reliant on this 'technology'  

This is why working from home is available and a great alternative now.  I am not sure why more companies are not embracing that concept.

Edited by racer254

21 minutes ago, racer254 said:

This is why working from home is available and a great alternative now.  I am not sure why more companies are not embracing that concept.

it's not an option for us ...

what's idiotic is that all the programs we utilize to actually do our jobs are web based 

take out the power or internet too long in this country and mass hysteria would ensure. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised any "tech" level company hasn't made the option to work from home a default by now.  If your job is based on a browser, all you need is internet access and a VPN client (and power).  Maybe this will be a learning lesson for your head honchos to get with the times.

A company that can work under any environment gets my vote.

At work we had back up plans with double redundancy (triple if you count just writing it out on paper).

Only thing kept me from work was a blizzard.

At my last job, the CEO didn't like us to work from home. He was pretty sure 'work from home' meant 'take most of the day off'. The pandemic proved him wrong. Five months into it, with everyone working from home (software company), releases were still happening on schedule, same level of issues with bugs (there will always be some), everyone got their work done. 

He did like to work from home himself a lot during the summer. Fact is, a work from home day for him was usually spent on his boat. Maybe that's why he didn't trust anyone else to do it. 

For lots of jobs today, we handle much less paper, most of our work is one with a screen and keyboard, there is no reason to be tied to an office every day. I get that people should show up on some days, communication can be better face to face. A staff meeting once a week can take care of that, and lots of companies could save lots of money on real estate leases for offices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catalina said:

At my last job, the CEO didn't like us to work from home. He was pretty sure 'work from home' meant 'take most of the day off'. The pandemic proved him wrong. Five months into it, with everyone working from home (software company), releases were still happening on schedule, same level of issues with bugs (there will always be some), everyone got their work done. 

He did like to work from home himself a lot during the summer. Fact is, a work from home day for him was usually spent on his boat. Maybe that's why he didn't trust anyone else to do it. 

For lots of jobs today, we handle much less paper, most of our work is one with a screen and keyboard, there is no reason to be tied to an office every day. I get that people should show up on some days, communication can be better face to face. A staff meeting once a week can take care of that, and lots of companies could save lots of money on real estate leases for offices. 

Sounds like the same thing with my company.  Unfortunately, even though our sales and production actually went up, the owners/CEO still want people to come in now 3 days a week.   I don't know what their thought process is, but it really has caused many people to quit.

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Sounds like the same thing with my company.  Unfortunately, even though our sales and production actually went up, the owners/CEO still want people to come in now 3 days a week.   I don't know what their thought process is, but it really has caused many people to quit.

quitting our jobs because we don't want to 'go to work' 

no wonder the terrorists hate us.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

quitting our jobs because we don't want to 'go to work' 

no wonder the terrorists hate us.

Finding other jobs that allow the flexibility to WFH is a choice that I am sure terrorists do hate.  Imagine having even more freedom and not having to drive and waste fossil fuels.  It saves the wear and tear on our roads, cars and ourselves.  It is a great thing.

19 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Finding other jobs that allow the flexibility to WFH is a choice that I am sure terrorists do hate.  Imagine having even more freedom and not having to drive and waste fossil fuels.  It saves the wear and tear on our roads, cars and ourselves.  It is a great thing.

IDK how good the internet reception is in the caves, training camps or while out fucking goats to work there.

I'm not opposed to WFH but for the vast majority of jobs out there in the real world it isn't an option and some of the people whining about having to go back to their jobs sound like whiny cunts.

2 sides of the WFH camp...

Wife worked from home for past 5 or more years. Started at 8 every day and worked well into the evening. Tried to get another WFHer fired due to decrease in productivity, not being at his computer, and pawning off work to others.

Some thrive in the environment, some abuse the fuck out of it.

That will never change.

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

IDK how good the internet reception is in the caves, training camps or while out fucking goats to work there.

I'm not opposed to WFH but for the vast majority of jobs out there in the real world it isn't an option and some of the people whining about having to go back to their jobs sound like whiny cunts.

If they have the ability to work from home, why not let them?  Sure, some can't, but it sure seems like the pros for EVERYONE outweighs the cons if it is possible.

The money and resources saved, as well as time is huge.  I know of one lady who would work from home from 8 to 5, then work at a tavern across the street from 7 to 10 because the tavern needed help.  When she was forced to go back in to work, that changed and she had to quit the tavern.  It cost the tavern money and her money from both fuel, time, and extra $$$ from the second job.

Edited by racer254

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Snake said:

2 sides of the WFH camp...

Wife worked from home for past 5 or more years. Started at 8 every day and worked well into the evening. Tried to get another WFHer fired due to decrease in productivity, not being at his computer, and pawning off work to others.

Some thrive in the environment, some abuse the fuck out of it.

That will never change.

This guy did some of his best work, wfh.

:lol:

Screenshot_20221005_122906.jpg

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

If they have the ability to work from home, why not let them?  Sure, some can't, but it sure seems like the pros for EVERYONE outweighs the cons if it is possible.

The money and resources saved, as well as time is huge.  I know of one lady who would work from home from 8 to 5, then work at a tavern across the street from 7 to 10 because the tavern needed help.  When she was forced to go back in to work, that changed and she had to quit the tavern.  It cost the tavern money and her money from both fuel, time, and extra $$$ from the second job.

I get it

I also can't do anything about it

Was this a 'cash' job by chance?  Hope she's payed her taxes as I heard something about armed IRS agents being added to the federal payroll 

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I get it

I also can't do anything about it

Was this a 'cash' job by chance?  Hope she's payed her taxes as I heard something about armed IRS agents being added to the federal payroll 

I never asked.  Probably tips and paycheck.