Check your account email address ×

question of the day on home ownership.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

My wife has a Quarter horse she used to compete with. She was heavily into competing. We would be on the road to the Quarter Horse shows around Ontario every weekend as well as hauling to the Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus Ohio each fall and 3 trips to the World Championship Show in Oklahoma City. She doesn't compete anymore but devotes a huge amount of time to caring for a riding the horse and it's our biggest monthly expense. As long as the horse is around I'll be #2 or lower on the priority list.

Her idea of ideal retirement would be to move to a farm with a barn for about a dozen horses. That's not something I signed up for. I want a quiet peaceful life on the edge of the lake with the boat tied at the dock and the snowmobile trail running past the front door.

sounds like the place u want has room out back for her horse to hang out back and keep the grass under control

9 minutes ago, 02sled said:

My wife has a Quarter horse she used to compete with. She was heavily into competing. We would be on the road to the Quarter Horse shows around Ontario every weekend as well as hauling to the Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus Ohio each fall and 3 trips to the World Championship Show in Oklahoma City. She doesn't compete anymore but devotes a huge amount of time to caring for a riding the horse and it's our biggest monthly expense. As long as the horse is around I'll be #2 or lower on the priority list.

Her idea of ideal retirement would be to move to a farm with a barn for about a dozen horses. That's not something I signed up for. I want a quiet peaceful life on the edge of the lake with the boat tied at the dock and the snowmobile trail running past the front door.

A Horse person married to a non horse person? Around here they call that a mixed marriage. Horse people are crazy ya know.

11 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

A Horse person married to a non horse person? Around here they call that a mixed marriage. Horse people are crazy ya know.

:lol:  My buddy, who's my brothers neighbor, is going through that right now.  As long as he pays the bills and keeps the horse taken care of, she's happy.  Otherwise, hell to pay.

11 hours ago, 1jkw said:

Things change as you get older, we have about 800' of driveway and we have 7 horses, 10 years ago I couldn't imagine anything better, now  the plowing and up keep and all the work involved with the horses, fences, water, hay, feed, and how much harder and longer the days are because of them really has us thinking of changing.  When push comes to shove I don't think the wife will give up the horses, I could give up at least 3 funny how things change. 

11 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

7 horses is a shit ton of work and expense.  I give you credit. :bc: 

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

If my wife came home wanting horses, I'd help her pack.

Just now, DriftBusta said:

:lol:  My buddy, who's my brothers neighbor, is going through that right now.  As long as he pays the bills and keeps the horse taken care of, she's happy.  Otherwise, hell to pay.

One of my buddy's married a "Horse Person" and she made him get a horse. He has been in the hospital twice because of that animal, once with a fractured hip bone. They get up at 4 am to go out and clean the stalls before work (ie shovel horse shit). I think that would be terms for divorce for me.

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

One of my buddy's married a "Horse Person" and she made him get a horse. He has been in the hospital twice because of that animal, once with a fractured hip bone. They get up at 4 am to go out and clean the stalls before work (ie shovel horse shit). I think that would be terms for divorce for me.

I can see it if both partners are into horses, but they can be all consuming and a major expense.   Thankfully, neither of us are into it.  

19 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

They get up at 4 am to go out and clean the stalls before work (ie shovel horse shit). I think that would be terms for divorce for me.

fuck that. I have a hard enough time breaking open my wallet to pay the kid who picks up dog shit in  my yard 4 or 5 times a yr

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Actually the horse aspect is how we met. I used to have a horse. I went to the rodeos, calf roping and bull dogging. She was going to the horse shows to watch but didn't have one... yet. At the rodeos we called the girls that hung around buckle bunnies. I foolishly helped her buy a horse that she could compete with. As time wore on things evolved. I got more wrapped up with building a career and we were going to more Quarter Horse shows and fewer rodeos. It came a time when my horse wasn't getting the attention he needed so he was sold. I still ride her horse on occasion. It seems for women who have horses it's an obsession. Guys it's a hobby.

If you're young and want to meet women... and willing to put up with being #2, go to a horse show. The riders are about 98% women.

But yeah they are crazy. Two years ago the horse cost us $19K for emergency surgery. I choked and she didn't blink an eye. It's about $10K a year for boarding the horse and misc. costs.

Edited by 02sled

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Actually the horse aspect is how we met. I used to have a horse. I went to the rodeos, calf roping and bull dogging. She was going to the horse shows to watch but didn't have one... yet. At the rodeos we called the girls that hung around buckle bunnies. I foolishly helped her buy a horse that she could compete with. As time wore on things evolved. I got more wrapped up with building a career and we were going to more Quarter Horse shows and fewer rodeos. It came a time when my horse wasn't getting the attention he needed so he was sold. I still ride her horse on occasion. It seems for women who have horses it's an obsession. Guys it's a hobby.

If you're young and want to meet women... and willing to put up with being #2, go to a horse show. The riders are about 98% women.

But yeah they are crazy. Two years ago the horse cost us $19K for emergency surgery. I choked and she didn't blink an eye. It's about $10K a year for boarding the horse and misc. costs.

With a horse woman, everything else will ALWAYS be #2.  A former co-worker of mine got a divorce over her damn horses.  

28 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Damn you can keep a 45' boat for about that...speaking of a hobby change.

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Boats are like having a high maintenance woman...unless you live where its warm. 

32 minutes ago, 02sled said:

It seems for women who have horses it's an obsession. Guys it's a hobby.

my bud who was a horse trainer for yrs always says he thought he was some sort of rock star with all the girls .

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

Boats are like having a high maintenance woman...unless you live where its warm. 

B - O - A - T = Bring Out Another Thousand or A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

Much like anything recreational though... sleds, horses, boats, ATV's. You want to play you have to pay.

15 hours ago, spin_dry said:

i have no desire to retire. i love what i do. my position offers a lot of time off and a great deal of flexibility to create and do pretty much what i want. as long as the conditions at work continue i'll be there until 70. i've always worked hard and can't see myself not. as for winter, i fucking hate it. but ive got a grandchild on the way and desire to stay close. it's an experience i've always wanted. sometimes i think i'm more excited than my daughter. lol. 

i simplified my life about 10 years ago. sold all the motorsports stuff and got into biking, weightlifting, hiking, and photography. then i got the itch for speed again and picked up a sports car. i like to wrench. always have. it's simple, pure, and zen like for me. a garage is like church. 

You don't have any desire to snowmobile? If I was in that situation I'd have to get a sled.

Just now, 02sled said:

B - O - A - T = Bring Out Another Thousand or A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

Much like anything recreational though... sleds, horses, boats, ATV's. You want to play you have to pay.

I disagree with atvs and sleds...ive never really put any money into my sleds or atvs except the initial investment.

7 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

fucking boats . I hate boats . use to like them a lot the now I hate the fucking things . Only reason I own 1 is the wife wants to keep it . I guess if all I had to do is put on a swim suit and walk down to the dock I would love boats also .

I have been praying that the chris craft sinks or starts on fire for some time now .

worst part it the f ing thing just sits out there only time it goes out is poss a night or 2 to go to dinner 4th of july and is some friends want to go out 1s a yr . think I still have 50gal of 2yr old gas in that thing .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Yup but worth it if you're into them.   Bro and I grew up with boats, old man had a couple Hatteras's, a Silverton, and the shore is only an hour from here.  Bro bought a 40' Ocean a couple years ago for the right price, and has been having alotta fun with it.  We have a half dozen buds who have them too, so there's always someone to go on a ride with, or tie up in a cove somewhere where you can jump over board and go for a swim.  Hoping to pick up one myself in a year or two.  Same thing with sleds and bikes.  If you don't have anyone to do it with, takes alotta the fun from it. :bc: 

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yup but worth it if you're into them.   Bro and I grew up with boats, old man had a couple Hatteras's, a Silverton, and the shore is only an hour from here.  Bro bought a 40' Ocean a couple years ago for the right price, and has been having alotta fun with it.  We have a half dozen buds who have them too, so there's always someone to go on a ride with, or tie up in a cove somewhere where you can jump over board and go for a swim.  Hoping to pick up one myself in a year or two.  Same thing with sleds and bikes.  If you don't have anyone to do it with, takes alotta the fun from it. :bc: 

See I said the same thing as you said in your last sentence there before and was shit on on the old site. :lol:

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Hoping to pick up one myself in a year or two.  Same thing with sleds and bikes.  If you don't have anyone to do it with, takes alotta the fun from it. :bc: 

yeah funny thing is almost every one I know owns a boat and most of the dudes hate them now lol .

I loved them when I was young went out partying all weekend etc etc .now I just look out and see it as a expensive work farm .

guess after over 40 yrs of being around boats the gel coat has lost its luster and no amount of heavy cut compound will bring it back

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

See I said the same thing as you said in your last sentence there before and was shit on on the old site. :lol:

:dunno: 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

yeah funny thing is almost every one I know owns a boat and most of the dudes hate them now lol .

I loved them when I was young went out partying all weekend etc etc .now I just look out and see it as a expensive work farm .

guess after over 40 yrs of being around boats the gel coat has lost its luster and no amount of heavy cut compound will bring it back

I hear ya...different strokes different folks.  Now if I bought them new like my old man did, I'd be throwing up in my mouth.  I know guys who'd bought them right, run them a few years and then flip them for sometimes a small profit.

5 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Agreed...its much easier for me to go on my buddies boat. :lol: