Check your account email address ×

Wind turbine market is red hot!! The race to roll out 'super-sized' wind turbines is on

22 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

This is an iron ore mine. Needed holes in the earth for engine blocks

0D932255-6AF0-45AF-A955-CD1F0C6B1769.jpeg

And your point is it's just as bad as a lithium mine.

Obviously you don't know iron ore is used for the gear boxes on a wind turbine.

Edited by Doug
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, BOHICA said:

But not in use.  Trump didn’t even want to continue exploring yucca mountain…. He refused to restart it.  Right now Nuke fuel is stored on site and requires maintenance from time to time and will for ever as storage facilities age.

He know it was best not to even talk about it . If he did there would be zero chance of its use ever becoming a reality.  Now if Joe brings it up media will be fawning over the prospect of using a already built facility to store the spent rods .

Fucking govenment 

Can't move them 

Can't re burn them 

But let's spend billions on building a storage facility. 

26 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

This is an iron ore mine. Needed holes in the earth for engine blocks

0D932255-6AF0-45AF-A955-CD1F0C6B1769.jpeg

Can hardly tell a iorn mine was there after 20 yrs .

In MN we turned one closed in the late 80s in to a atv park . Trees so thick in parts singel track bikes have to go pretty slow 

20220603_153446.jpg

Screenshot_20220710-193645_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220710-193606_Chrome.jpg

20220603_110911.jpg

20220604_164224.jpg

20220604_150953.jpg

20220604_151013.jpg

20220603_111322.jpg

• Like 4

• Gold Member
12 hours ago, Doug said:

As is for oil pipes and tanks.  Also Takes rare earths to be mined as they are needed in the refining process of crude oil.

Factors driving the need for this important action by customers:

• Low wind. While solar power is generally reaching near full generation capacity, wind generation is currently generating significantly less than what it historically generated in this time period. Current projections show wind generation coming in less than 10 percent of its capacity.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

As is for oil pipes and tanks.  Also Takes rare earths to be mined as they are needed in the refining process of crude oil.

Still no answer as usual.  Spin and deflect yet again

You do know that solar panels and wind turbine generators you are always talking about use rare earth material...I guess you don't know that

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Snake said:

When you are defending a lifestyle, you will go to these lengths...

You defend your BMW the same way.

:bc:

46 minutes ago, Doug said:

Instead, solar cells use a range of minor metals including silicon, indium, gallium, selenium, cadmium, and tellurium. Minor metals, which are sometimes referred to as rare metals, are by-products from the refining of base metals such as copper, nickel, and zinc. As such, they are produced in smaller quantities.Sep 23, 2021

Edited by Doug

18 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You defend your BMW the same way.

:bc:

I give real world answers to questions relating to the topics. If you don't like the brand, you are more than welcome to not buy them. You are more than welcome to buy an EV, or not buy one.

I have had great experiences with every one I owned. The old E46s I owned were more maintenance intensive, but never had to go to a dealer... My convertible had to have the valve cover replaced, cost me $250 with a tech who wanted to do it.

Old X5 had to have the pump done. Big deal... off the road for a day while the same tech fixed it. Gave him another $200 for that.

New X5M is, well, new so no issues to this point.

aIrBaGs NoT wItHsTaNdInG....

11 minutes ago, Doug said:

Instead, solar cells use a range of minor metals including silicon, indium, gallium, selenium, cadmium, and tellurium. Minor metals, which are sometimes referred to as rare metals, are by-products from the refining of base metals such as copper, nickel, and zinc. As such, they are produced in smaller quantities.

When shown what an ecological disaster these mines are, Bohica said "Fail! That's a copper mine!!!!"

On 7/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, Anler said:

China and Russia are all over state of the art nuclear power. I imagine some of other parts of the world will hire the Chinese to build them some nuke plants. We will be here watching birds get chopped up in turbines when it's light out. 

The UK is partnering with a Chinese firm to build Hinkley Point C.  3,200 MWe

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Chinese construction firms are dominating civil projects around the world. Cheaper and faster. 

12 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

A small, SMR, reactor is currently in the planning stages at Darlington Nuclear Plant in Clarington ON.

I was retired when this announcement was made so I don't know any details.

In November 2020, Ontario Power Generation (OPG) announced plans to build a small modular reactor (SMR) at Darlington Nuclear Generating Station. It is expected to be operational by 2028 at the earliest.

https://www.opg.com/powering-ontario/our-generation/nuclear/darlington-nuclear/darlington-new-nuclear/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlington_Nuclear_Generating_Station#:~:text=In November 2020%2C Ontario Power,by 2028 at the earliest.

Where are new nuclear plants being built?

About 55 power reactors are currently being constructed in 19 countries, notably China, India, Russia and the United Arab Emirates. Units where construction is currently suspended, i.e. Angra 3 (Brazil), Ohma 1 and Shimane 3 (Japan), and Khmelnitski 3&4 (Ukraine), are not shown in the Table below.

Edited by irv

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I give real world answers to questions relating to the topics. If you don't like the brand, you are more than welcome to not buy them. You are more than welcome to buy an EV, or not buy one.

I have had great experiences with every one I owned. The old E46s I owned were more maintenance intensive, but never had to go to a dealer... My convertible had to have the valve cover replaced, cost me $250 with a tech who wanted to do it.

Old X5 had to have the pump done. Big deal... off the road for a day while the same tech fixed it. Gave him another $200 for that.

New X5M is, well, new so no issues to this point.

aIrBaGs NoT wItHsTaNdInG....

My brother's had no issues with his Tesla. Zero, zilch, nada.

I'm just calling out your hypocrisy. 

18 hours ago, Doug said:

300 tonnes

A two-megawatt windmill contains 260 tonnes of steel requiring 170 tonnes of coking coal and 300 tonnes of iron ore, all mined, transported and produced by hydrocarbons.Oct 7, 2021

How much steel is there in a wind turbine?
For a 5-megawatt turbine, the steel alone averages 150 metric tons for the reinforced concrete foundations, 250 metric tons for the rotor hubs and nacelles (which house the gearbox and generator), and 500 metric tons for the towers.

37 minutes ago, irv said:
300 tonnes

A two-megawatt windmill contains 260 tonnes of steel requiring 170 tonnes of coking coal and 300 tonnes of iron ore, all mined, transported and produced by hydrocarbons.Oct 7, 2021

How much steel is there in a wind turbine?
For a 5-megawatt turbine, the steel alone averages 150 metric tons for the reinforced concrete foundations, 250 metric tons for the rotor hubs and nacelles (which house the gearbox and generator), and 500 metric tons for the towers.

They need steel to build lots of things. Not sure what the argument is here???

19 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

He know it was best not to even talk about it . If he did there would be zero chance of its use ever becoming a reality.  Now if Joe brings it up media will be fawning over the prospect of using a already built facility to store the spent rods .

Fucking govenment 

Can't move them 

Can't re burn them 

But let's spend billions on building a storage facility. 

I'm not really sure I understand what you just said, but...

Gen IV nuclear uses spent fuel and can be built next to existing plants.  They can shut down instantly in an emergency without risking a meltdown.  We have enough existing fuel to power the entire country on Gen IV plants for 100 years.

All of this was developed without any intervention from Sleepy Joe or the Orange Man.

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

If you are incapable of backreading and still struggling to piece it together then I can't help you. 

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Holes in the earth are only bad for technology that doesn’t use fossil fuels to generate electricity once they are built.  Steel used in the oil industry the holes in the earth used to make the oil industry function is not a big deal.

• Like 1

Drove the back roads home across Michigan.  Had no idea there were so many mills spinning.  Those farmers must be making a fortune renting land.  Saw quite a few that were not spinning.  Not sure why?