Check your account email address ×

Highland park shooters trumper dad could face charges.

• Platinum Contributing Member
55 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

good , he should

Have to agree. You know the way that kid looked he got bullied. Dad saw writing on the wall.

31 minutes ago, Cold War said:

How old do you figure someone should be before parents are no longer responsible for their kids actions? 

No matter what age I wouldn't be helping someone like this get any firearms

"The 21-year-old suspect was too young to get a gun permit in 2019 from the state of Illinois, but his father, Bob Crimo Jr., sponsored one for him despite previous threats by his son to harm himself and loved ones, authorities have previously said."

• Thanks 1

As much as I too would like to punish people who think and vote differently than me ……I always get this nagging feeling like I wouldn’t want it to happen to me. 

I feel like the contract was void when the kid turned 21 . He was then old enough to obtain and own the weapon on his own.  Now we want to get into raising a shit child?  Hold on!   We are in for a ride. Better start building more prisons fast. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would assume this "sponsorship" would include some of the same questions that are on 4473 form.   Pretty obvious the father was aware of his child's mental health history with what went on in 2019 and could and likely is guilty of lying about the answers to some of those questions.

While I don't want the govt controlling all private sales it makes sense that private sellers take care in whom they sell to.   

If not guilty of a criminal offense he will be sued to the max in civil court.

21 minutes ago, Cold War said:

As much as I too would like to punish people who think and vote differently than me ……I always get this nagging feeling like I wouldn’t want it to happen to me. 

I feel like the contract was void when the kid turned 21 . He was then old enough to obtain and own the weapon on his own.  Now we want to get into raising a shit child?  Hold on!   We are in for a ride. Better start building more prisons fast. 

Valid point but if the father had took his son's mental state into consideration when the sponsorship occurred his issues may have then been in the system so to speak and denied the right to buy a gun.

I'm as pro 2nd as they come but if someone, even a 19 yo kid has went around saying they want to "kill everyone" (which he apparently did) then they lose the right to ever purchase a gun again. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Valid point but if the father had took his son's mental state into consideration when the sponsorship occurred his issues may have then been in the system so to speak and denied the right to buy a gun.

I'm as pro 2nd as they come but if someone, even a 19 yo kid has went around saying they want to "kill everyone" (which he apparently did) then they lose the right to ever purchase a gun again. 

I don’t think anyone is disputing shitty parenting.  Not going to argue what should of been done, what shouldn’t of been done.  Fact is he is now an adult.  Living at home, sexual preference, political ideals, skin color, does not change that. 
Let me ask you this… How old would you like a kid to be before the parent is no longer responsible for their actions? 

I bought my kids cars at 16 sent them out on the road, assuming all responsibility for what they did because they were minors.  Now at 28 should I still be responsible?  Where is the cut off?  I think 21 is pretty damn reasonable. 

13 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I don’t think anyone is disputing shitty parenting.  Not going to argue what should of been done, what shouldn’t of been done.  Fact is he is now an adult.  Living at home, sexual preference, political ideals, skin color, does not change that. 
Let me ask you this… How old would you like a kid to be before the parent is no longer responsible for their actions? 

I bought my kids cars at 16 sent them out on the road, assuming all responsibility for what they did because they were minors.  Now at 28 should I still be responsible?  Where is the cut off?  I think 21 is pretty damn reasonable. 

The point is the father likely lied about his son's mental history when he did the sponsorship PRIOR to him being legally able to buy certain firearms.   If that occurred his actions possibly contributed to this.  I do not support mandatory reporting of mental health issues to the govt but when someone is answering a form and lies then its an issue.  I do not know what this sponsorship all entails but its not far fetched that the same questions on the 4473 are part of it. 

There is no easy answer to parental responsibility.   In most cases I'd say none once they reach a certain age and even limited as a minor.   But there are times it could be questionable.   Let's say you have a 21 YO deadbeat living in your basement with no job or income.   You constantly are buying him booze and he goes out and kills someone in a DD accident.   While maybe not criminally liable they could be in civil court.   

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The point is the father likely lied about his son's mental history when he did the sponsorship PRIOR to him being legally able to buy certain firearms.   If that occurred his actions possibly contributed to this.  I do not support mandatory reporting of mental health issues to the govt but when someone is answering a form and lies then its an issue.  I do not know what this sponsorship all entails but its not far fetched that the same questions on the 4473 are part of it. 

There is no easy answer to parental responsibility.   In most cases I'd say none once they reach a certain age and even limited as a minor.   But there are times it could be questionable.   Let's say you have a 21 YO deadbeat living in your basement with no job or income.   You constantly are buying him booze and he goes out and kills someone in a DD accident.   While maybe not criminally liable they could be in civil court.   

Yes, that is my point also. It was PRIOR to him being an adult, now he is.
At what point would you like to see the legal  responsibility end for the father?  I believe it ended the day he was legally old enough to buy and own the gun. 

27 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Yes, that is my point also. It was PRIOR to him being an adult, now he is.
At what point would you like to see the legal  responsibility end for the father?  I believe it ended the day he was legally old enough to buy and own the gun. 

This is an unusual case.   Completely depends on what is involved in the "sponsorship" that they are talking about.   If he lied about his son's mental status and that would have been tracked for down the road thru the current background check system then I'd say there is some culpability there.  What criminally I'm unsure of but would not be against if that was the case.   I really don't know what the background system tracks in a situation like this.   We know they rarely go after people who lie on the form. 

This isn't just a case where the kid was a depressed.   He tried to kill himself and talked about "killing everyone."   It obviously was serious enough to police to arrive and legally remove other weapons (knives and what not) from the home.

I'm not a big supporter of red flag laws as they are ripe for abuse but again as we know of thru news reports (which could be wrong) this is different as the father obviously applied for the kid and knew of his issues.  Kind of like a private sale to a known felon.   Seller should be liable.  

Put in the same situation with my kid I would have never vouched for him to purchase a gun.   

Edited by Highmark