Check your account email address ×

Probably done sledding for good.

1jkw

18 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I'm almost quit after going through the ice at night....then I realized it was just a serious lapse in judgement probably helped by one too many beers. 

I've been accused of being a Debbie Downer a couple times over the years because I recommended people slow the fuck down on the public trails, or that maybe I was there to ride more than drink.  I was right each time.  Fuck them.  I don't want to be going to anyones funerals, or worse, have someones wife hate me because I was part of some disaster. :bc: 

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

hell I don't care if a guy has some beer at lunch but I am not hitting every flashing sign that says bar .

and I am all for parting hard at night in the Midwest but when guys do it out west they usually pay the price the next day . I do not put up with that shit at all . self induced sickness gets u map and a point in the direction of the closest trail from me . I have seen 2 guys vomit in there helmet and I just LMFAO at them . washing out the breath box in snow tossing face mask in the woods all while I and others  are heckling.   

Got over that shit years ago.  No time for it at all anymore .  I'm there to ride.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I wont even ride with those guys . I can drink all fucking summer I look forward to ridding all fucking yr I will not spend that time in a fucking bar any longer than it takes to eat lunch or dinner. even guys who stay up all night drinking then want to head up to 10k feet and ride if u cant hang because u are hung over go home and be pissed off at me I really don't give a shit . want to act like u are 18 go to spring break

It is only 2 or 3 of them, but once we are stopped, another handful joins in because we are there.  When I trailer 5+ hours to Buttfuck, WI to ride, I want to ride, damnit!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It is only 2 or 3 of them, but once we are stopped, another handful joins in because we are there.  When I trailer 5+ hours to Buttfuck, WI to ride, I want to ride, damnit!

I here ya . like I said I really don't give a shit what some guy thinks of me if it gets to the point that we are at the bar and lunch has been over and it is apparently drinking time I get up say I am going ridding any one else here to ride and roll . usually at least 1 guy will follow if not I don't really care I am a big boy and can ride and afford my own rooms . I ALWAYS drive my own truck . have not been put in that situation in a long time because I know the guys I ride with and they know me .

I have shaken the dice way way more than I should have in my life getting hammered and racing in the trees so I am not telling any grown man what he should or should not be doing I just wont be a part of it. I do break out the pipe from time to time but that is usually deep in the woods if snow is not to deep to get me stuck from hesitating    

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I here ya . like I said I really don't give a shit what some guy thinks of me if it gets to the point that we are at the bar and lunch has been over and it is apparently drinking time I get up say I am going ridding any one else here to ride and roll . usually at least 1 guy will follow if not I don't really care I am a big boy and can ride and afford my own rooms . I ALWAYS drive my own truck . have not been put in that situation in a long time because I know the guys I ride with and they know me .

I have shaken the dice way way more than I should have in my life getting hammered and racing in the trees so I am not telling any grown man what he should or should not be doing I just wont be a part of it. I do break out the pipe from time to time but that is usually deep in the woods if snow is not to deep to get me stuck from hesitating    

exactly :bc: 

I'm 60 and called it quits. 2 years ago with my son were in moose river plains at the first turn the trail goes straight 4 miles to a dead end. Guy just coming out stops to tell nobody is back there, well had a brain fart and launched. Half way in over a hill and it turns 90 degrees to the left. Slam on the brakes dive into the corner and realize I'm not going to make it. Thank god I just careened of a pine tree that kept me on the trail. When I stopped the look on my sons face sealed it. He was 27 and teared up because he thought he was gonna watch his dad die. I normally don't drive like that. Just a momentary lapse of reason. Wife had lung cancer (non smoker) and is now disabled and can't breath in the cold so without supervision I'm can resort back to stupid to easily

we were just out in CO 2 weeks ago . I guys dad quit ridding sleds like 5 yrs ago just to hard on him has bad lungs from yrs of welding  and is now 68. that guy got a snowbike 2 seasons ago and now goes on every trip west and hangs with every one . they are so much more ez to ride than a sled the guy can ride all day not much huffing and puffing . he has a tinny tank of pure oxygen to pull a few hits off if needed . Hope I can still play at his age . spends more time watching guys climb and chit but he is out doing it .  

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

it will prob come back . I have been knocked out in a few diff accidents and eventually for some reason it start coming back to u . think the brain shuts down to save u the mental trauma so u can deal with the physical trauma.

I am not a shrink but I did stay at a holiday in a few weeks ago

Maybe it will, but I remember very little of the whole day, I got back on the sled rode to the parking area and got picked up and taken to the hospital the first thing I remember is the DR. asked me what year it was and who the president was I answered right and he said when he asked me when I first came in I answered wrong, didn't remember even being asked.

So you have no idea what caused you to biff it?   I remember bits and pieces from my spill, but not much.  Probably better that way. :lol:

I hope you have a speedy recovery.  You have a pretty painful list of injuries and us old guys down't heal so quick any more. :bc:  

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I've been accused of being a Debbie Downer a couple times over the years because I recommended people slow the fuck down on the public trails, or that maybe I was there to ride more than drink.  I was right each time.  Fuck them.  I don't want to be going to anyones funerals, or worse, have someones wife hate me because I was part of some disaster. :bc: 

Got over that shit years ago.  No time for it at all anymore .  I'm there to ride.  

Me too I never drink or ride with guys that do, I ride mid week and go fast in the wide open areas on the rail bed where I know the trail well, that's the strange thing we had already slowed down for a ways  and I know that part of the trail very well, but I sure fucked up somehow.

8 minutes ago, sledderj said:

So you have no idea what caused you to biff it?   I remember bits and pieces from my spill, but not much.  Probably better that way. :lol:

I hope you have a speedy recovery.  You have a pretty painful list of injuries and us old guys down't heal so quick any more. :bc:  

Nope, fairly smooth wide trail that is also nearly straight, last thing from the ride I remember was filling it with gas, and that was 45 minutes or so before.

19 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Glad you're ok.  

Heal up and then take it easy from now on.   Better than leaving the sport Imo. 

Yep.  That's the main thing

Tone it down a bit and you can still have fun 

18 hours ago, Anler said:

I need to get a tek vest. My ribs are still a little sore from last week... 

Me and the kid wore ours this past weekend for the first time. Don't even really notice you're wearing it. I wore mine inside my jacket, kid wore his on the outside. Either way, it acts like another layer , so you have to dress accordingly.   This past weekend I wore a t shirt, my 509 vest, and my jacket without the liner, and vents unzipped, and motor cross gloves.  Never once did I get cold. 

Get ahold of Paul at Sled Solutions   He sells Klim, 509 and a couple other brands 

18 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Why would you think about quitting the sport just because someone else got killed on a sled?  Do you contemplate never driving again every time someone dies in an auto accident?  Seems like you're looking for an excuse to quit sledding.  

Bingo 

18 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

I've wrecked several times, so has the wife, so has our daughter. seems like there are more and more maniacs on the trails in this area. in addition I'm tired of the crappy weather and the expenses. I almost sold everything last season.

Sounds to me like you ALL need to stop trying to riding beyond your abilities. 

17 hours ago, Back Country Rebel said:

I can understand that.  Every time I leave to go into the mountains with my buddies my wife says please be careful and come back in one piece.  I think nothing of it but she is definitely concerned.  As soon as we're back to the trailer I always text and let her know we are ok.  

And thanks for the answer slinger.  I was being a smart ass but you make very good points.  I would not enjoy sledding if someone else were putting my safety in jeopardy.  Getting hit head on by a drunk would suck.  Just the thought of a drunk in the same riding area makes me sick. :bc:

Same here 

17 hours ago, Anler said:

Same problem everywhere. Wisconsin is a state full of alcoholic degenerates. Mix that with the FIB degenerates and its a cluster fuck. I cant tell you how many near misses i had last week with cowboys taking blind turns in the wrong side of the trail.

Kinda one of the better things about riding at night, you can see the lights coming. Still, weekday riding makes for better rides. 

They should sell their sleds and stay home 

Yep 

17 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

I understand completely. I can't ride slow either, it's no fun. just a matter of time until my luck runs out. I've hit a boulder after jumping an old stone wall that wasn't there the season before. flipped end over end and landed on my back. I've had several chest plants into ditches or moguls, sprained wrists, and other limbs. missed deer by inches. my old body can't heal like it used to either :lol:

See above 

15 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Mine too, just not the mountains.  

I'm planning on a mid-March ride in Northern WI, if there is snow.  I'm just hoping that half the group that was with the last time we did this is not there.  Drive for an hour, drink for an hour.  Repeat for 3 days.  One of them said if he couldn't ride sled like that, he'd quit sledding.  I wish he would.

Many many years ago, a group I use to ride with was exactly like that.  I'd just ride in the back of the group all the time. Got sick of the driving 5+ hours and constantly sitting in a bar. I quit riding with them and enjoyed the sport much more. 

14 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I wont even ride with those guys . I can drink all fucking summer I look forward to ridding all fucking yr I will not spend that time in a fucking bar any longer than it takes to eat lunch or dinner. even guys who stay up all night drinking then want to head up to 10k feet and ride if u cant hang because u are hung over go home and be pissed off at me I really don't give a shit . want to act like u are 18 go to spring break

Bingo! 

14 hours ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

X2

13 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

x3 :bc:   wait.  Maybe :bc: wasn't the right emoticon. :lol: 

x5 :bc:

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS

Just now, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Me and the kid wore ours this past weekend for the first time. Don't even really notice you're wearing it. I wore mine inside my jacket, kid wore his on the outside. Either way, it acts like another layer , so you have to dress accordingly.   This past weekend I wore my a t shirt, my 509 vest, and my jacket without the liner, and vents unzipped, and motor cross gloves.  Never once did I get cold. 

I plan on getting one but I am a little tight in my Klim jacket. :news::lol: I really dont feel like buying a new jacket for maybe one more ride this year. Fucken thing is i must have caught the handle bar right in the bottom of my rib cage because everytime i turn or move i feel it. Im sure a tek vest would have prevented that. Vince has been hounding me for years to get one. After this last trip i need to stop pressing my luck...

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

I plan on getting one but I am a little tight in my Klim jacket. :news::lol: I really dont feel like buying a new jacket for maybe one more ride this year. Fucken thing is i must have caught the handle bar right in the bottom of my rib cage because everytime i turn or move i feel it. Im sure a tek vest would have prevented that. Vince has been hounding me for years to get one. After this last trip i need to stop pressing my luck...

Wear it on the outside then. They have adjustment straps on the sides.   I can wear mine in the outside or inside of my jacket.  Feels better wearing my jacket over it. 

After seeing pictures of my buddy laying in a hospital bed, that was all it took for me to get us some. Won't ever ride again without one 

10 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Yep.  That's the main thing

Tone it down a bit and you can still have fun 

There will always be places to let it go if you want, ie lakes etc.   No way I would quit cause I can't go 80 mph on the trails anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There will always be places to let it go if you want, ie lakes etc.   No way I would quit cause I can't go 80 mph on the trails anymore.

yeah all i read on the forums is about Top speed. Really who gives a fuck about that? We will pin it on a railroad grade or lake to make some time but thats just not very fun. Id rather spend time of some awesome trails. and 100mph is just not practical or possible doing that. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

yeah all i read on the forums is about Top speed. Really who gives a fuck about that? We will pin it on a railroad grade or lake to make some time but thats just not very fun. Id rather spend time of some awesome trails. and 100mph is just not practical or possible doing that. 

Save that shit for the lakes and wide open long fields. Trees aren't very forgiving at all 

14 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Its people who dont like being told what to do who have issues...

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I run for top end on the lake or the airport and a few select places on the rail bed, I like riding the trails through the woods and fields and am not all about going fast.  Never even started my sled last year, no snow, this year my first ride and I fuck up for no apparent reason on a wide trail not really going that fast 50 to 65 tops, just makes me wonder wtf.

13 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I run for top end on the lake or the airport and a few select places on the rail bed, I like riding the trails through the woods and fields and am not all about going fast.  Never even started my sled last year, no snow, this year my first ride and I fuck up for no apparent reason on a wide trail not really going that fast 50 to 65 tops, just makes me wonder wtf.

Where you riding alone ? For some reason I thought you were riding with a buddy ?

If so, did he not see anything going wrong either ? Any chance you blanked out for a moment just before the accident ?

Hope you get all healed up, without to much pain.

17 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I wish i could show you the video of my crash. my buddy texted it to me so its a grainy copy. im going to download it to the computer this weekend. Fuck i wasnt going 20mph. Total bonehead move. 

1 hour ago, Anler said:

So we are quitting cause we suddenly have the heebie jeebies about riding fast.    When its no longer fun, its time to quit.