Check your account email address ×

Different ways of saying things across the country, different foods people like.....

• USA Contributing Member

I was in Texas for work the past 2 weeks and had some of the best BBQ that puts some of the stuff in the northeast to shame (Hard Eight BBQ).  There is good BBQ in CT but this stuff was awesome.  When I was in Illinois at an Air Force training base a long time ago there was a "package store" on base that people had no clue what it was. Where does the "hogie" become a "sub" and then a "grinder" when getting a sandwich?

While in Rantoul Illinois what I called "soda" was called "pop".  I was a Coke drinker, the stuff most popular there was RC.  The pizza most eaten seemed to be Domino's (1984-85).  My parents are in Florida... that pizza sucks (gulf coast / pan handle area).  While in Chicago I tried "deep dish" pizza, no thanks.  If you're in Connecticut area go try the pizza in the New Haven area.

Up sledding in VT when you get real north you can get "poutine".  Why didn't that type of fries make it further south?  Canadian bacon.... no thanks.  

I got friendly enough with a couple of the guys at the Texas location and being the asshole I am asked them where their cowboy hats and boots and spurs were.  This was Dallas / Fort Worth area, not one cowboy hat to be seen.  They took it in stride, told me, "this ain't the 1800's.". 

What keeps local food local, and "slang" words from traveling beyond areas of the country?  Why aren't there any "Whataburger's" in New England?

Deep dish is a Chicago exclusive dish but most people here don't really eat that. Super thin crispy crust is the norm and it is delightful. 

And yeah we grew up calling soft drinks "pop"

• Gold Member

My BIL in Florida had no clue what a Grinder was ....he got irritated  "just call it a Sub, wtf is a Grinder!"  So whenever I see Him I make sure to say it several times in a day. 😂

And yes Connecticut pizza is the best in the country period. 

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

My BIL in Florida had no clue what a Grinder was ....he got irritated  "just call it a Sub, wtf is a Grinder!"  So whenever I see Him I make sure to say it several times in a day. 😂

And yes Connecticut pizza is the best in the country period. 

My wife and I drive to CT for pizza, Astros specifically. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese with pepper and Ketchup.....the best. Im getting hungry thinking about it...gonna grab one tomorrow a.m.

And our pizza(if you know where to go) aint too shabby either.

17 hours ago, Snake said:

In Maine, it's an Italian, because this is where it was invented.

Yet, an “Italian” in NY is a whole different animal than an “Italian” in Maine.  I love them both btw.   And is it, “skollops” or “scallops”?

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yet, an “Italian” in NY is a whole different animal than an “Italian” in Maine.  I love them both btw.   And is it, “skollops” or “scallops”?

Maine Italians came about when an Italian American back in the day would arrive at the Shipyard and sell his home made sandwiches... hence, an Italian...

Scallops...

• Like 1

An italian has salami, capicola mortadella and provalone Maine is 100% wrong on this subject

new haven pizza is the best.   followed by NY/NJ. 

Chicago needs to stick to hot dogs and italian beef

Tuna should come from a can and not be raw

Philly does hogies and to be fair they do it better than the rest of the country. BBQ is good in lots of places. Texas is more of a dry rub where St Louis is more of a sauce. Best steak I ever had was in Missouri at a place called Rubes. Had a charcoal fired grill in the middle of the restaurant where you could sip on a beer while grilling a steak just awesome.

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

An italian has salami, capicola mortadella and provalone Maine is 100% wrong on this subject

Invented in Portland  in 1899 by an Italian baker named Giovanni Amato as a portable and inexpensive lunch for road construction workers, the Italian sandwich has become a staple of every corner variety store and takeout sandwich shop.

Have at it... :lol:

26 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

yes no one ever sold a sandwhich before Amatos ham and cheese

It's up to you to show otherwise, fatboy... otherwise you're just running off at your hole...

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Invented in Portland  in 1899 by an Italian baker named Giovanni Amato as a portable and inexpensive lunch for road construction workers, the Italian sandwich has become a staple of every corner variety store and takeout sandwich shop.

Have at it... :lol:

Philadelphia

Hoagie Sandwich:

The Hoagie was originally created in Philadelphia. There are a number of different stories as to how the Hoagie got its name, but no matter what version is right (historians cannot seem to agree on which is the correct version), all agree that it started in Philadelphia or the it's suburbs.

20 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Philadelphia

Hoagie Sandwich:

The Hoagie was originally created in Philadelphia. There are a number of different stories as to how the Hoagie got its name, but no matter what version is right (historians cannot seem to agree on which is the correct version), all agree that it started in Philadelphia or the it's suburbs.

Hoagie... :lol:

16 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

never had a great sub in Maine,  had some decent ones but nothing thats you'd say you have to try this.   Had plenty of great italians everywhere else in the northeast/NY/NJ/PA.   

Sure you did... :lol: :lol:

Be more petty, please... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

20 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Id bet all versions of any food is better than where you live, dummy. We are known for this shit. And we have far more guineas living here for validation!

58 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

never had a great sub in Maine,  had some decent ones but nothing thats you'd say you have to try this.   Had plenty of great italians everywhere else in the northeast/NY/NJ/PA.   

Don't you live near the Yankee smoke house?