Check your account email address ×

What is it with us and a pleasing sound?

Rod

7 hours ago, ACE said:

Triple pipes… fuck me they sound good. Can pump the throttle all day on a triple 2 stroke and it’s boner inspiring 

they’re smooth running too but it’s mostly that sound 

same with a hardly Daveson. I got the cheapest Vance and Hines pipes I could get for my 2016 roadster. Tbh the bike is your typical piece of junk hardly. And I can’t say I loved riding it. Not like I love triple pipes. But man… the pipes on the Hardly make the experience way better.

but why! It’s just noise. Isn’t that superficial? Why does that add too the enjoyment of our experience?

logically it should mean absolutely fucking nothing

I'm def not with you on the Hardly.  Those things sound gayer than AIDS.  But a 2 stroke triple... fuk yah.  3-into-1 sounds epic too, like the XLT, Ultra, Indy 650, Yamaha SX, etc.

6 hours ago, soeaster said:

I always liked this from back in the day. 

Those old Mercs from the 80s were so GD sweet.  Just a billion times better than anything else on the market at the time, and way underrated on power typically.

Used to have an older mustang with borla exhaust setup that sounded beautiful.

With all the discussions about cans closing trails due to noise, not sure triples were much better?!? Do like the screaming triple sound though.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Was just driving through town in the Camaro listening to the SLP exhaust note and Ride the lightning at the same time. All I needed was a mullet hat

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Oh reallly? ....

Not saying they aren't or can't be fast, it's just the sound of them I don't like. I'm old school I guess but I can appreciate the work and all that that goes into making these ricer's fast. Not a lot of difference there between old and new school in that regard. :bc:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, irv said:

It has to be in our DNA. The sound of a Hot Rod/Pro-Street or basically any other car similar to that is just music to my ears. Ricers with the big tomato juice can is like listening to Yoko Ono. 

X2

15 hours ago, soeaster said:

I always liked this from back in the day. 

Yep ...great sound

14 hours ago, Mainecat said:

A really long fart that starts at a high pitch, then drops to a wet sounding low note.

And then you finish by shitting your pants ...

11 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

The sound Factor is probably the single most thing holding me back from buying an EV...... I've had way too many cars that sound so great, I'd rather listen to the exhaust note than the stereo.

Have you ever heard anyone say "man that EV sounds fast?".....Me neither

EV that even runs 10s just doesn't cut it for me. Need the sound ...& the feel of the sound to make it complete. 

A study conducted by British insurance company Hiscox reveals that the sound of a revving Maserati engine has a biological effect on women. Those who took part in the study listened to a variety of engine sounds from a number of cars, and after hearing the Maserati engine, all of the female test subjects had higher testosterone levels in their blood. High testosterone levels in the blood can be indicative of a stirred libido. (Or an insistent desire to try out for the Detroit Shock.) According to the study, of all the cars tested, the Maserati sound elicited the greatest testosterone response. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15149764/a-revving-maserati-engine-has-a-biological-effect-on-women-car-news/

https://www.wired.com/2008/09/weve-got-some-b/

After listening to a Volkswagen Polo their test levels actually went down.  

Edited by Plissken

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Plissken said:

A study conducted by British insurance company Hiscox reveals that the sound of a revving Maserati engine has a biological effect on women. Those who took part in the study listened to a variety of engine sounds from a number of cars, and after hearing the Maserati engine, all of the female test subjects had higher testosterone levels in their blood. High testosterone levels in the blood can be indicative of a stirred libido. (Or an insistent desire to try out for the Detroit Shock.) According to the study, of all the cars tested, the Maserati sound elicited the greatest testosterone response. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15149764/a-revving-maserati-engine-has-a-biological-effect-on-women-car-news/

Maserati does have its own unique sound ...I think it even raises my testosterone

10 hours ago, akvanden said:

Used to have an older mustang with borla exhaust setup that sounded beautiful.

With all the discussions about cans closing trails due to noise, not sure triples were much better?!? Do like the screaming triple sound though.

Triple stingers should be mandatory on a triple 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep starting my hardly just to hear it :lol:

all it really does is convert gas into noise 

the new hardly sportster S does look badass though