Check your account email address ×

Annoying sons of bitches

back in the 80s a bunch of us thought it would be cool to do an adirondack bike tour through the northville lake placid trail. decided om memorial day. what a mistake. we intended 4 days , but was out by 10am the second day. worst insect experience of my lifetime. they chewed us to pieces. it ruined what was a great time, all loaded up with bags riding through the wilderness. bikes were kicked out soon after that. the second day we came to a pond and all ran to it, dove in, and treaded water. now they can only bite my head. deep woods off, yeah they eat that shit. we hit the pavement way early, and found ben's 100 did keep them at bay. turned the remainder to a road tour.  the pictures are funny. hot as hell and we all are wearing every stitch of clothes we had. 

The little fkrs love me lol. We've been lucky the past 2-3 years with it getting hot as they come out and only lasting 1-2 days as they hate the heat. We've tried everything available here to repel them and haven't had great success. The skitters get pretty thick here and we use the OFF candle/pads and a couple battery powered gizmos and keeps them away. We were sitting on the dock during the witching hour and had one of the battery powered things going and no skitters in sight.

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Southwest NH 

What’s everyone use to keep them away?

Gay as those hat type mesh nets are,  they work. Can get them in a hoodie type pullover too.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coghlans-0061-Bug-Jacket-X-Large/dp/B001OHUW56/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1Z4C8ZUPRUYV7&keywords=bug+net+hat&qid=1650914792&sprefix=bug+%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-25

Edited by Voodoo

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, smokin george said:

The little fkrs love me lol. We've been lucky the past 2-3 years with it getting hot as they come out and only lasting 1-2 days as they hate the heat. We've tried everything available here to repel them and haven't had great success. The skitters get pretty thick here and we use the OFF candle/pads and a couple battery powered gizmos and keeps them away. We were sitting on the dock during the witching hour and had one of the battery powered things going and no skitters in sight.

Lol that’s how I fell they won’t leave me or the dog alone but the kids had hardly any flying around them. I have some candles and battery gadgets but they don’t seem to do much for the black flies they do work pretty good for mosquito season though.

1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

My senior neighbor has those they’re goofy but I’m sure it’s worth not having the fuckers fly up your nose and in your ears and mouth.

51 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Seems early for them no?

For around here it’s about right. Usually around last week of April first week of May they come to ruin your outdoor experience lol. 

4 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Lol that’s how I fell they won’t leave me or the dog alone but the kids had hardly any flying around them. I have some candles and battery gadgets but they don’t seem to do much for the black flies they do work pretty good for mosquito season though.

My senior neighbor has those they’re goofy but I’m sure it’s worth not having the fuckers fly up your nose and in your ears and mouth.

For around here it’s about right. Usually around last week of April first week of May they come to ruin your outdoor experience lol. 

Lower peninsula of Mich here ...lucky we don't get those nasty bastards

18 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

That's what I use. I also use concentrate mixed in a sprayer and hit the bushes and such for ticks. 

I spray it around my dog kennels and treat my dogs with it also. Works great for just about every bug we have in wi

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Use permethrin spray on clothes and a hat. Works on ticks and mosquitoes too

Damn Ticks are terrible here….nasty little fuckers.🤬

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

Lower peninsula of Mich here ...lucky we don't get those nasty bastards

No black flies sounds nice. What’s it all open farm land there?

59 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Damn Ticks are terrible here….nasty little fuckers.🤬

They’re pretty bad here too. They don’t bother me as much as black flies and mosquitoes though.

10 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

No black flies sounds nice. What’s it all open farm land there?

They’re pretty bad here too. They don’t bother me as much as black flies and mosquitoes though.

Mix of farm & woods where I'm at. Mostly woods just north of here. Not sure why we don't get the black flies? I think they get them in the UP tho.?

Run into black flies in N MN before early summer. That was pure miserable :flush:

We get mosquitoes coming up & deerflies once it gets warm ...then huge horseflies late summer. Ticks just started showing up in last few years. Never had them before :flush:

• Like 1