Check your account email address ×

Polaris gets zapped

I think that's enough proof for me.  Yup, that's what Cat is going to do.  They're scrambling to get an electric sled to market before Polaris.  They have to do it this year, or it will be too late.  They need an industry first.

Has anyone heard actual end user reports from the electric Ranger?

What's the theoretical weight on a pre-production Taiga?

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:58 PM, p51mstg said:

I think that's enough proof for me.  Yup, that's what Cat is going to do.  They're scrambling to get an electric sled to market before Polaris.  They have to do it this year, or it will be too late.  They need an industry first.

If Textron were to play nice in the sand box they would own the Electric sled market and put tiga out of business before they got off the ground. Tiaga claims 617 pounds 180hp on the the performance model 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

If Textron were to play nice in the sand box they would own the Electric sled market and put tiga out of business before they got off the ground. Tiaga claims 617 pounds 180hp on the the performance model 

And 80 miles on a good day with no charging stations anywhere where you ride a sled. If you were a resort or a bar owner would you dump 100 K into a charger for a couple of sleds at level 3? Don't have to answer as I know it is a resounding NO! Oh, and back to that 80 miles. When it gets cold and it does and that range gets cut to 50, you still buying in? Again, don't bother unless you have more time than God. You are going to need it!

5 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

And 80 miles on a good day with no charging stations anywhere where you ride a sled. If you were a resort or a bar owner would you dump 100 K into a charger for a couple of sleds at level 3? Don't have to answer as I know it is a resounding NO! Oh, and back to that 80 miles. When it gets cold and it does and that range gets cut to 50, you still buying in? Again, don't bother unless you have more time than God. You are going to need it!

You keep saying this. Electrics are going to be normal sooner than later. They aren’t going away. Keep your blinders on 

4 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

You keep saying this. Electrics are going to be normal sooner than later. They aren’t going away. Keep your blinders on 

Not saying they are going away, but who is going to buy in? I can see ski resorts, maybe the lone wolf ice fisherman, but tell me who is going to spend the $$ on charging network? Jack pines suck! In it's current form, they will never be more than  a niche in the real market. Time will tell, but I have lots of time to laugh at this. Rode 102 miles today. Spent 5 minutes at the pump. Sleds were lined up like cord wood to fill up. How is this going to work with Electric? fools gold! 

Edited by ZR6000RR

7 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Not saying they are going away, but who is going to buy in? I can see ski resorts, maybe the lone wolf ice fisherman, but tell me who is going to spend the $$ on charging network? Jack pines suck! In it's current form, they will never be more than  a niche in the real market. Time will tell, but I have lots of time to laugh at this. Rode 102 miles today. Spent 5 minutes at the pump. Sleds were lined up like cord wood to fill up. How is this going to work with Electric? fools gold! 

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment here.  

The snowmobile buying marketplace isn't ready for EVs.  Four stroke models are becoming more popular due to durability, low maintenance, oil consumption and power with a turbo.  Two of the older guys that ride with me have both migrated to them and are very satisfied, one of my younger friends sold all his two stroke sleds this winter and plans to buy a BRP four stroke for next year.  Both BRP and Polaris have both made an investment in offering new four strokes recently.  Polaris actually shocked their own customer base a couple weeks ago by offering a four stroke in the Matryx chassis.  Textron only has the big daddy 998 turbo, but has abandoned the lower power non-turbo versions.  As I see things they are going to have to get back into the lower power four stroke game, or continue losing market share to Polaris and BRP.  

That all being said, BRP and Polaris are spending time, resources and investing money in the electric field... where as Textron is busy picking out new colors to slather on the 1992 Crown Victoria.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment here.  

The snowmobile buying marketplace isn't ready for EVs.  Four stroke models are becoming more popular due to durability, low maintenance, oil consumption and power with a turbo.  Two of the older guys that ride with me have both migrated to them and are very satisfied, one of my younger friends sold all his two stroke sleds this winter and plans to buy a BRP four stroke for next year.  Both BRP and Polaris have both made an investment in offering new four strokes recently.  Polaris actually shocked their own customer base a couple weeks ago by offering a four stroke in the Matryx chassis.  Textron only has the big daddy 998 turbo, but has abandoned the lower power non-turbo versions.  As I see things they are going to have to get back into the lower power four stroke game, or continue losing market share to Polaris and BRP.  

That all being said, BRP and Polaris are spending time, resources and investing money in the electric field... where as Textron is busy picking out new colors to slather on the 1992 Crown Victoria.

There's a place for Electric Snowmobiles, Ski Resorts want them, Yellowstone Park wants them, and probably a few other niche places. EV's are coming wether people are ready or not, as I've said in the past Porsche is 100% committed to EV's to the point they've stopped all development on new gas engines. The goal for cars is 450 mile range, 15 minute full recharge and a charging network, that will be the end of new production gas cars, with technology everything else will follow.

Edited by airflite1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

There's a place for Electric Snowmobiles, Ski Resorts want them, Yellowstone Park wants them, and probably a few other niche places. EV's are coming wether people are ready or not, as I've said in the past Porsche is 100% committed to EV's to the point they've stopped all development on new gas engines. The goal for cars is 450 mile range, 15 minute full recharge and a charging network, that will be the end of new production gas cars, with technology everything else will follow.

I'm fully aware, but I don't want to be the first to ride along in your electric airplane.  :lol:

Another arena where EV technology may be seen is electric Snocross sleds.  The longest they're on the track is about 15 minutes in the pro class and the biggest complaint I heard this weekend was about how loud and obnoxious those things are.  As an added bonus it would give tech more time to eat street tacos and get a foot massage.

:lol:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

15 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm fully aware, but I don't want to be the first to ride along in your electric airplane.  :lol:

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Another arena where EV technology may be seen is electric Snocross sleds.  The longest they're on the track is about 15 minutes in the pro class and the biggest complaint I heard this weekend was about how loud and obnoxious those things are.  As an added bonus it would give tech more time to eat street tacos and get a foot massage.

It's funny you mention this, there is a new air racing class forming for EV planes.

Forget about range and charging, those things will work themselves out over time but so many already complain about 40lbs in a four stroke how will they even be able to ride an EV sled that will weigh 150lbs more than their two smoker?  These riders say they get too tired trying to handle the extra weight.  Maybe they take up knitting.  

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

Forget about range and charging, those things will work themselves out over time but so many already complain about 40lbs in a four stroke how will they even be able to ride an EV sled that will weigh 150lbs more than their two smoker?  These riders say they get too tired trying to handle the extra weight.  Maybe they take up knitting.  

The difference I see is with a 4 stroke, the weight is all on the skis, on an EV they have the option to put the weight where they want, for off trail the advantage will stay with light weight, but for strictly trail riders I can see the attraction if they can get the range and charging options in place.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I wish I got a foot massage... and thank god for a taco truck 

Dumstad forgets that battery tech will change.  If you could have 200mi of range it would functionally resolve 99.9% of buyers needs.  That is coming and sooner than later.  Will also mean for shorter times the weight penalty is less.  Today I don't want one, but am sure I will see a day where that will be different.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

I wish I got a foot massage... and thank god for a taco truck 

They're getting you a mod motor powered foot massager when they go all electric.  I did a pulled pork platter and considered climbing the ladder on the back side of the tech trailer to eat and watch the race from the roof.  😂

On 3/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, p51mstg said:

A friend of mine has one he has had it for a number of years he did like it for the noise level scouting his property, he also has gas powered sxs and 4 wheelers for working.

8 minutes ago, Badger** said:

This country is not ready to go all electric and 60-80 miles will not cut it on a snowmobile for now.  We are poisoning the earth mining lithium. 

DSCF00111471373710.jpg?uuid=95Sg_mPiEea02DPpMbWibQ

Dead_fish_in_river_1_mining_protest_Dartsedo_County_May_20161471621750.jpg?uuid=eXKzymYkEea02DPpMbWibQ

Environmental effects of mining - Wikipedia

Pyrum Looks at Hydrogen Production | Tyre & Rubber Recycling

Smartest thing you have said all year! Bravo! Something factual on here for a change.

11 minutes ago, Badger** said:

This country is not ready to go all electric and 60-80 miles will not cut it on a snowmobile for now.  We are poisoning the earth mining lithium. 

DSCF00111471373710.jpg?uuid=95Sg_mPiEea02DPpMbWibQ

Dead_fish_in_river_1_mining_protest_Dartsedo_County_May_20161471621750.jpg?uuid=eXKzymYkEea02DPpMbWibQ

Environmental effects of mining - Wikipedia

Pyrum Looks at Hydrogen Production | Tyre & Rubber Recycling

chapter 7 of the industrial revolution.... out of site, out of mind.

please leave your cell phone in the basket on the way out ;)

Just now, ZR6000RR said:

Smartest thing you have said all year! Bravo! Something factual on here for a change.

No one really gives a fuck what you think or should we start a poll? Get on it C2C:good: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

chapter 7 of the industrial revolution.... out of site, out of mind.

please leave your cell phone in the basket on the way out ;)

I fucking hate my cell phone its only good for work. 

Edited by Badger**

2 minutes ago, Badger** said:

No one really gives a fuck what you think or should we start a poll? Get on it C2C:good: 

I'd love to have a beer with both of you so you could both understand how I'm often right and you're both usually wrong.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I fucking hate my cell phone its only good for work. 

did you post that from the closest telegraph station, or was it delivered to FS HQ via pony express?  :lmaodance: