Check your account email address ×

Dis sum bullshit!!!

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

seems a bit strange not competing for the country you were born in.  To each their own. 

If all the Olympic athletes move to the highest bidder its not much of the Olympics any more.  

Is San Francisco really America? I think not 

Apparently this skier isn't the only US athlete to join China for the Olympics.  Another one ... figure skater.  Although, it looks like the US is better off that she decided to skate for China.  Karma - it's a bitch :lol:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/olympic-us-born-chinese-figure-skater-zhu-yi-tears-falling-team-event

On 2/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, spin_dry said:

Could that disqualify her? Are olympians allowed to take money for their services? 

paid athletes are fine,  when is the last time the US sent amateur's for hockey and basketball for example.  i get why we did it given the Communist countries were in effect professionals but it was far better when it was about the country for the college kids.  

On 2/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, spin_dry said:

Interesting. I wonder what her motivation might be? 

Because denouncing US citizenship is so boss ? She is doing great I  would hate to be that skating chick . She may just find her self in a camp missing a few valuable organs 

Patriotism is a completely foreign concept to the yutes of america today.  Another reason the Olympics really hold little relevance to anything tied to "the country".

it used to mean much more than it does today im afraid.

• Sad 1

She won the gold medal.

Nobody knows her citizenship.  Suspicion is that China bent their "no dual citizenship" rule to let her get a Chinese passport but keep her American passport.

Financially, skiing for China is going to net her hundreds of millions of dollars through endorsements, especially now that she won a gold.  She's the face of the games there, and a pawn for Xi saying "see, even Americans want to be Chinese."

You guys think this is bad, check out the Chinese hockey team...

Edited by Matt

On 2/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, Angry ginger said:

paid athletes are fine,  when is the last time the US sent amateur's for hockey and basketball for example.  i get why we did it given the Communist countries were in effect professionals but it was far better when it was about the country for the college kids.  

The Soviet Red Army hockey team used to play exhabition games against NHL teams back in the day. They used to make quick work of most teams until they went to Philadelphia that is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yes.

Although I think China has some rules about holding dual citizenship/nationality, so she perhaps had to surrender her US citizenship, which was allegedly done 3 or so years ago.

Neal

She hasn't claimed to be a Chinese citizen.  The Chinese hockey team is full of non-citizens.  They bend their rules to suit them frequently.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Matt said:

She hasn't claimed to be a Chinese citizen.  The Chinese hockey team is full of non-citizens.  They bend their rules to suit them frequently.

I do beleive she holds a Chinese passport.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

She hasn't made a definitive statement either way from what I know.

Of course they bend/break their rules.

Neal

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I do beleive she holds a Chinese passport.

Her personal feeling (as she has stated) is that she is a dual citizen, when in the US, a US citizen and when in China, a Chinese.  However the technical issue of being a dual citizen is unresolved and the US allows dual citizenship broadly speaking, and China does not.  If she holds a valid Chinese passport and China has not bent/broken their citizenship rules, then she would have had to surrender her US citizenship.   

In the end her message seems to be agnostic of which country she participates from, leaning more toward inspiring others that are held back, in China especially.  Probably due to the fact that the US has far superior advancement in that position as compared to China.  She made a calculated decision years ago to show solidarity with her mother's nationality, and bring hope and inspiration to those much worse off than in the US.   That seems empathetic and even nobel, especially for someone as young as her.

Neal 

Edited by NaturallyAspirated