Check your account email address ×

Against Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep’s speechifying at the Golden Globes was the worst thing to happen since Trump’s election.

by Eileen Jones

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/01/meryl-streep-speech-trump-golden-globes/

That I should live to see the day when Meryl Streep’s speechifying at a Hollywood awards show is admired as solemnly and discussed as fervently as Lincoln’s second inaugural address is a personal nightmare. Lectured by Streep! And about how her and all her Hollywood pals, decked out in everything that costs the earth and sparkles in the spotlight, are among the true victims of Donald Trump’s American authoritarianism!

In Streep’s view, it seems, cultural war has been declared on Hollywood’s liberal elite, which is “full of foreigners,” she notes, and therefore doubly vulnerable.

Yes, Trump is bad for movie stars everywhere, and Streep is truly “heartbroken” by this. Therefore, she brought to the Golden Globes all the fiery rhetoric she used to play Margaret Thatcher in a recent admiring biopic, and to stump for Hillary Clinton on behalf of a cheering faux-feminist “pantsuit nation.”

I may have to take today off work, just to recover from this latest onslaught of Streepian solipsism embraced by the world as the height of Hollywood ethics, which is just the best ethics of all. The way she condemned the “performance” of Donald Trump when he mocked disabled New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski, as if Trump were up for a rival Golden Globes Award and had disgraced the Screen Actors Guild, was truly righteous, wasn’t it? She’s so classy, isn’t she?

And classy is the word for it, all right. Ever since the 1980s, Streep has been Hollywood’s imperious snob-appeaser, paraded around as a rebuttal to all those who claim the American film industry generates nothing but lowbrow entertainment for the masses. Just look at all those high-toned roles, and the rave reviews of besotted critics, and the shelves upon shelves of Academy Awards!

If it must be admitted that Hollywood can only hire the classiest performers, the titled ones from England, like Dame Judy Dench and Sir Ian McKellen, nevertheless Americans can always point with pride to Meryl Streep, our very own homegrown acting royalty with as snooty an accent as any of them!

If I seem bitter, it’s because I was raised on this Streep, and she has haunted my life with her high-and-mighty blonde heft and Yale Drama School ways.  As an undergraduate, I was one of only two people in America who hated her, hated her with a passion. The other one was my best friend Sue, and we were united in our loathing. Sue, who studied acting at a mere state school, did a wonderful impression of early Streep performances, full of distractingly big “acting choices” that could be seen from space. We called Streep “the world’s most famous acting student.”

For we were angry working-class girls, see, and Streep’s privilege seemed to roll off her in waves. Technically, Streep comes from the middle class, but by the time she appeared in films, any regular Jersey Girl crudities had been planed away, and she was all golden hauteur. The tilt of her jaw, the lift of her nose like something out of an old portrait representing aristocratic Anglo-German inbreeding, the toss of that shiny blonde mane, overawed everyone.

Even we had to admit, eventually, that Streep was a good actor, if only to keep our citizenship. But I’ve never been entirely sure if she really is, or if we’re all just cowed by the intoxicating aura of classiness that hangs around her.

In America, classiness will get you everywhere, and there’s no better demonstration of it than the teary-eyed adoration generated by every move Streep makes. She strikes me as about the worst possible spokesperson imaginable for the Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

In the renewal of my Streep hatred, I’d say that the only upside to the American fixation on classiness over class is that, apparently, the end result is it’s bad for movie stars everywhere. That includes poor suffering Meryl Streep. May she have many sleepless nights in her golden bower somewhere far above us all!

• Gold Member

I listened to her speech online, not sure what the big deal is? Trump DID mock that reporter, anyone who denies that is a fucking hack.

Trump was free to do so and we are free to rag on him about it. So whats the big deal?

4 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I listened to her speech online, not sure what the big deal is? Trump DID mock that reporter, anyone who denies that is a fucking hack.

Trump was free to do so and we are free to rag on him about it. So whats the big deal?

Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

6 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

noggin is just being a sour little cunt. ignore the message and focus on the messenger. much like many others in here he used to despise......

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Left in an era of working-class rage, so naturally she’s embraced even more tightly by liberals doubling down on their delusional Clinton Democrat worship.

And this...YEP!

I/WE, or at least most of us that aren't whining liberal self haters DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK what a celebrities views are of politics.  Their job is to entertain us....that is all. When they use their celebrity status to get airtime to try and transform the public's political or social thinking...it just comes off as falsely contrite and petty.  

And I love the fact that some feel they can use their airtime to insult and degrade Trump...but if he fires back, that's "not presidential".  Fuck that.  They fire a shot...he can too.  And most of America has his back so....fire away at these false outraged haters Trumpster!  Just don't drag it on.

ftr I think this chick is a little snoot. we're pretty sure she was sitting near us on a flight from san diego back east many years ago. she had s scarf and sunglasses on, trying to disguise herself. shortly before we landed my wife leaned over to her and quietly asked if she was meryl streep. she grinned and put her finger up to her mouth for the "sssssh" look. as soon as we landed she high tailed it off the plane. she could have given our young daughter at the time an autograph or something. but no.

Christ, all  we do  is pat these people on the back with one hand and console them with the other. Every single interview, they have it so tough preparing for this role, and such a grueling work schedule. Just STFU and be thankful you hit the jack pot.

• Platinum Contributing Member

People should ignore the opinions of those who constantly need recognition for their trade.   How many music and acting awards shows are there these days?   Mark Wahlberg was spot on.  

“A lot of celebrities did, do, and shouldn’t,” Mr. Wahlberg told the website. “You know, it just goes to show you that people aren’t listening to that anyway. They might buy your CD or watch your movie, but you don’t put food on their table. You don’t pay their bills. A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, the everyday guy out there providing for their family.”

The actor went on to say that although he is at ease navigating the entertainment industry and enjoying its perks, he still understands what it’s like “not to have all that.”

“I’m very aware of the real world,” he said. “I come from the real world and I exist in the real world. And although I can navigate Hollywood and I love the business and the opportunities it’s afforded me, I also understand what it’s like not to have all that.”

13 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

that's all find and dandy noggin, but the topic is what she said about trump. which was valid.

Why is it every time one of you lefty's chime in, your posts are absolutely dripping with hypocrisy?  

Just curious I guess.  I guess I'm more curious to learn if you all see it though.

I typically thought of Trump as a high school rich kid by the way he behaved during the whole election process and even still with his childish tweets. But there is definitely some genius there. They way to laid waste to the GOP primaries and then to Hillary. The most genius thing tho and I cant believe i never noticed before now is running as a republican is what got him elected. Had he tried to run as an independent he never would have won. He never would have even been allowed to debate and probably would have been mostly ignored by the press. Bet your ass neither the dems or republicans will let that happen again.

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

I typically thought of Trump as a high school rich kid by the way he behaved during the whole election process and even still with his childish tweets. But there is definitely some genius there. They way to laid waste to the GOP primaries and then to Hillary. The most genius thing tho and I cant believe i never noticed before now is running as a republican is what got him elected. Had he tried to run as an independent he never would have won. He never would have even been allowed to debate and probably would have been mostly ignored by the press. Bet your ass neither the dems or republicans will let that happen again.

Running as an independent is a complete futile waste of time and money :) 

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

The R's, while benefiting immensely from Trump's victory, are also scared shitless of him.  He's reaching out to American's in ways they do not approve (free and uncensored) and has everyone's attention.  Wanna piss him off and be a fuck head as a sitting Republican?  Ouch.  This type of popularity with any president is not what either party wants.  But, for better or for worse, that's what they have.  Dems are fucked because they are too stupid to figure out why they are so fucked (idiots beyond belief).........and the R's that don't get their shit straight will face Trump's bashing which is clearly being paid attention to by the citizens.

Everybody wanted the parties to be "cleaned", nobody figured Trump would do it.  Go figure.  :dunno:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The R's, while benefiting immensely from Trump's victory, are also scared shitless of him.  He's reaching out to American's in ways they do not approve (free and uncensored) and has everyone's attention.  Wanna piss him off and be a fuck head as a sitting Republican?  Ouch.  This type of popularity with any president is not what either party wants.  But, for better or for worse, that's what they have.  Dems are fucked because they are too stupid to figure out why they are so fucked (idiots beyond belief).........and the R's that don't get their shit straight will face Trump's bashing which is clearly being paid attention to by the citizens.

Everybody wanted the parties to be "cleaned", nobody figured Trump would do it.  Go figure.  :dunno:

Exactly. I still think the man is an idiot with his twitter rants and shit. But people are sick of the old school polititions and Trump is anything but. The next 4 years will be very interesting, 

Just now, Ebsell said:

Exactly. I still think the man is an idiot with his twitter rants and shit. But people are sick of the old school polititions and Trump is anything but. The next 4 years will be very interesting, 

Nobody is a bigger idiot than you Lobster Fucker on the face of this planet or any other for that mater :guzzle: 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Trump won because of his stance on illegals and commitment to the American worker.  His genius was picking and choosing which sides of issues to fall that historically are sided by D's or R's.  He knew he could get voters from both sides going the anti-illegal immigration route.   He sided with issues like being pro gun would get many red necks and not cost him blue dog democrats.   Same could be said with abortion and Evangelicals and bluedog dems.   Whether or not he played the American voter is yet to be seen but you have to give him credit, he played the right strings.  

Out of everything he does as POTUS if he wants a second term and I question if he does he better follow thru on some of the immigration policies he preached.  

Edited by Highmark