Check your account email address ×

The Insane Lug nut Case Got Crazier In Michigan!

Take your vehicle in for service and have your tires rotated, drive away from the dealer/garage/shop and one of you tires come off because the mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts

Do you have a case against the shop or the mechanic???? Well apparently not if you live in Michigan....WTF 

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

The lug nuts weren't tightened, the mechanic even admitted it

Shouldn't even be a question then.   Nowadays they put that note in for the customer to re-torque them which is BS. 

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Shouldn't even be a question then.   Nowadays they put that note in for the customer to re-torque them which is BS. 

Yup....usually it says within the next 60 miles in very small print.

Nobody touches my nuts - except my girlfriend.  :bc:

If I get new tires, I bring them to the shop, have them mounted and balanced, bring them home and put them back on the vehicle torqueing them properly myself.

Edited by Mag6240

With aluminum rims you are supposed to tighten, drive,  and then re torque.  I never trust a impact.  I go over them with a 4 way.  When you can make the car move without the lug tightening.  They are tight.   

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

With aluminum rims you are supposed to tighten, drive,  and then re torque.  I never trust a impact.  I go over them with a 4 way.  When you can make the car move without the lug tightening.  They are tight.   

I use a torque wrench on all my lugz...impact just to get it snug.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave said:

I use a torque wrench on all my lugz...impact just to get it snug.

Yep.  I’ll use impact to snug them.  I do so many in a week, I know when they are tight. I can tell by the sound change in the impact when it is right. I just go back over them to be 100 sure. I do every job like my kids or grandkids are leaving in that vehicle. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
19 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

My tire shop requests that you return within one week for a retorque. No charge. 

Of course they do. Because they know no one will , and therefore release themselves from liability.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Of course they do. Because they know no one will , and therefore release themselves from liability.

Right.  You have reversed the liability to the customer. Do it right the first time. My time is worth money, so is my customers.  

They are coming loose because someone carelessly put the rim on cockeyed or left corrosion between the surfaces 

For awhile Chrysler used right hand thread  to keep wheels from falling off. when they realized the wheels were not falling off other manufacturers cars  they quit.  

I put a little light oil, like WD 40 on the studs. Especially on the trailer. Those studs get rusty. Seems to me you can have the opposite problem described in the video, there would be extra friction, and not enough tensile strength. I think a little oil helps break up the rust, and lets the nut spin freely. 

I would not think there would be a problem if it is not tightened beyond the torque spec.  

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

I use Torque bars with an impact.

4 hours ago, Jerry 976 said:

Take your vehicle in for service and have your tires rotated, drive away from the dealer/garage/shop and one of you tires come off because the mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts

Do you have a case against the shop or the mechanic???? Well apparently not if you live in Michigan....WTF 

If it is as the guy laid out, how could they make a ruling so blantantly wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Right.  You have reversed the liability to the customer. Do it right the first time. My time is worth money, so is my customers.  

They are coming loose because someone carelessly put the rim on cockeyed or left corrosion between the surfaces 

For awhile Chrysler used right hand thread  to keep wheels from falling off. when they realized the wheels were not falling off other manufacturers cars  they quit.  

When I was young and dumb I watched a friend twist a reverse threaded stud right off the drum. :lol:  fucker was strong. We all thought it was rusted on. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

When I was young and dumb I watched a friend twist a reverse threaded stud right off the drum. :lol:  fucker was strong. We all thought it was rusted on. 

yay left hand thread on one side and right on the other but I forget the brand