Check your account email address ×

Opinions on campers.

From one camper owner to another, the number one issue is ensuring all the silicone seals are good.  So get that ladder, or use the one built into the camper if it has one, and get on the roof to look at EVERYTHING.  There's always going to be something to work on, but keeping the seals good is crucial ... especially if it's outside all the time.  We've had smaller issues like the city water hookup on the inside of the camper working itself loose & leaking water (fixed very easily).  Or the electrical option on the water heater not working (I just use LP now ... will fix another time).  My buddy's electric jack went to shit on him - but that was easily fixed with a new switch.  Owning a camper likely won't be trouble-free, but hopefully it's relatively stress-free.

7 minutes ago, Bontz said:

From one camper owner to another, the number one issue is ensuring all the silicone seals are good.  So get that ladder, or use the one built into the camper if it has one, and get on the roof to look at EVERYTHING.  There's always going to be something to work on, but keeping the seals good is crucial ... especially if it's outside all the time.  We've had smaller issues like the city water hookup on the inside of the camper working itself loose & leaking water (fixed very easily).  Or the electrical option on the water heater not working (I just use LP now ... will fix another time).  My buddy's electric jack went to shit on him - but that was easily fixed with a new switch.  Owning a camper likely won't be trouble-free, but hopefully it's relatively stress-free.

A friend was talking about some special tape to apply around ac units and vents etc. I'll pass it on as soon as I find out. Maybe you know already.

It amazes me how shitty they all are even high end stuff is just bad .

Every one I have ever bought I got 2 to 3 yrs old for about 1/2 the money and dumped 2 yrs later before the real issues start inevitably showing up 

10 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

A friend was talking about some special tape to apply around ac units and vents etc. I'll pass it on as soon as I find out. Maybe you know already.

I'm guessing it's that "Eternabond" tape?  I've heard about it, but never really looked into it much.

4 hours ago, Bontz said:

3 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

I used this on my trailer roof 2-3 yrs ago and it worked excellent. :thumbsup:

Like any job, prep is the most important so prior to its use, I scrubbed and cleaned everything up real good before applying. It is real easy to use but be careful as once it is down, it is not coming back up, trust me! 

After it was applied and after a couple/few weeks I decided to clean the rest of the roof (It was mossy, as can be seen it the pics, as it doesn't receive enough sun) but because it was super tough and dirty I wasn't able to get it spotless, unfortunately. 

I then purchased a product, after looking things up, called "Wet and Forget" and sprayed it on the whole roof, including my taped areas, last fall before closing.

This summer when I finally got up there, it was the cleanest I have ever seen it so the product definitely works as described. I also used it on my deck and shed and it definitely cleaned up all those areas as well. Well worth giving it a try. Lots of vids about using it around the house, etc, as well. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Cofair-UBE425-Extreme-Steel-Loc-Adhesive/dp/B00BFU854M/ref=asc_df_B00BFU854M/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335024084808&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4860394887424936268&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000752&hvtargid=pla-568002330862&psc=1

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wet-forget-outdoor-stain-remover-4-l-1530831p.1530831.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9KKdm_OV8gIVC8DICh3UTgy1EAQYASABEgJ5VfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=336

WP_20190907_10_40_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20190907_10_59_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20190907_14_13_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20190907_14_13_21_Pro.jpg

IMG_0375 (Medium).JPG

WP_20170728_19_56_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20190817_13_12_41_Pro (1).jpg

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

The wife and I had a Fleetwood 29ft travel trailer then bought a Fleetwood Triumph 30.5ft 5th. Overall in 20 years we never had any real issues other than a water pump or two and an invertor that was fixed under warranty. We're glamping now on an acre lot we bought and partially cleared. With the two opposite slides in the living room and one in the bedroom we're quite comfy. We're waiting for hydro to put a pole in and hook up to the panel and water we draw from the lake for showers and dishes.

20210729_092555.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We are here for at least another month or two.  No big hurry to go home

I miss NS, The older i get the more i want to move home. 

The people aren’t in such a hurry 

2 minutes ago, toslow said:

I miss NS, The older i get the more i want to move home. 

The people aren’t in such a hurry 

We've been coming here for 9-10 years on a regular basis and my brother was in the valley for at least 35 years. If the prices of lumber comes down we want to build on our lot. Just waiting for the dock to get finished for the pontoon

20210729_151335.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We've been coming here for 9-10 years on a regular basis and my brother was in the valley for at least 35 years. If the prices of lumber comes down we want to build on our lot. Just waiting for the dock to get finished for the pontoon

20210729_151335.jpg

Looks like a great spot, George. :bc:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Thanks Dale! The area is beautiful, ocean 5 min away and close to town to shop. 

How long you been in that area?

pretty rich neighbourhood 

6 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

It amazes me how shitty they all are even high end stuff is just bad .

Every one I have ever bought I got 2 to 3 yrs old for about 1/2 the money and dumped 2 yrs later before the real issues start inevitably showing up 

That's one reason my brother and I built our own from a coach bus.  

Tiny ass showers/bathrooms, none really made for over the road travel (we do more miles than camping), none have dual master bedrooms, crummy cabinetry, small windows, the list goes on.

Neal

On 2/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, J. Jackson said:

So in my search you get educated. Biggest revelation is wall material. Azdel is the material of choice. Less than 1% incidences of delam plus mold and mildew resistant. All Heartland and Alliance products have it as well as some Forest River units. Surprisingly Grand Design uses luan like most others. Leaning towards the Heartland and Columbus 1492 brands. 

Azdel is good material. There was some early problems with delaminating. That’s been resolved. Some makers are finally moving away from wood flooring. Airstream and NuCamp will start using Transcore for flooring in “22. It never rots. Lighter and more rigid. It’s about fucking time. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

9 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Kind of like owning a larger boat.  Helps to be handy and have a tool kit on board.  

I’ve been watching the Parley Revival channel on YouTube. It a guy that buys hurricane damaged boats for repair and sale. He’s fixing his own Lagoon 450 Cat. Broken bulkheads from a poor design. What a disaster. He plans to sail it around the world. 

• 8 months later...

IMG_8201.thumb.JPG.aa13200e7574852019c292bd9a0a061b.JPGSo if anyone is looking for a nice fifth wheel I have mine up for sale. 2022 Solitude 345GK-R. Very minimal use and no issues at all believe or not! Very nice couples unit with cupboards galore. Has the king bed and solar panel upgrade. 101 wide body really makes a difference inside. Walk in a 96 inch and then a 101 and you'll notice it right away. Visit Grand Designs website to see all the standard features and build this model today. Present MSRP is over 125000. Have this one priced at 82500. and I have MSO in hand. Shipping may be available. I thought that I could learn to like the campground lifestyle but I just can't. I work with the public everyday and love doing it but I do need some privacy and a campground isn't the place for that.

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8199.JPG

Edited by J. Jackson
  • Like 1