Check your account email address ×

ECHO, STIHL, OR HUSQVARNA?

Time for a new saw.  I broke the motor mounts on the Remington and beat it out of a tree I wedged it in.  Can't get parts for it and they changed the models all up so I'm calling it for what it is, a throw away saw.

I know what I want - 50cc and 18" bar.

Narrowed it down to 3 choices, all similar priced.  Looking for opinions, I think I'd be happy with either of these choices but if someone has an annoyance or problem with one or the other I will weigh that into my final decision.  Looking to buy on Labor Day.

ECHO ES490

HUSQVARNA 450E

STIHL MS 271 FARM BOSS

saw echo.jpg

saw husq.jpg

saw stihl.jpg

Have a MS290, early 2000's,  going to use it today. It's cut dozens of bush cord. Been a bulletproof saw.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Stihl

Any particular reason?

I used to own a 30ish cc Stihl with 14" bar, it was old no chain brake, always started, was loud as hell.  Lots of steel in its contruction was it was about as heavy as my Remington 50cc 18" saw.  Sold it running 5 years ago.

I used Husq saws for 6 years for cutting logs out of debarking machinery at Louisiana Pacific, lots of plastic but they are tough, never had any problems with them.

I have zero experience with ECHO anything.

1 minute ago, Fireball 440 said:

Any particular reason?

I used to own a 30ish cc Stihl with 14" bar, it was old no chain brake, always started, was loud as hell.  Lots of steel in its contruction was it was about as heavy as my Remington 50cc 18" saw.  Sold it running 5 years ago.

I used Husq saws for 6 years for cutting logs out of debarking machinery at Louisiana Pacific, lots of plastic but they are tough, never had any problems with them.

I have zero experience with ECHO anything.

I had a Husky Rancher 455 it was a decent saw. Chain broke one time I was using it and borrowed a neighbors 291 to finish what I had started as it was sunday and the dealer was closed. Using them back to back found the Stihl to be more powerful and easier to use. Just a seat of pants opinion nothing more. The husky was reliable and always started first couple pulls for 10-12 years. 

I bought a farm boss 20 years ago and it still going strong. Always starts, always idles.  Plenty of power for me but as I get older, it’s getting heavier. 
I vote Stihl, but have no experience with the others. I’m sure you can’t go wrong in that lineup of saws

1 minute ago, Winterman said:

I bought a farm boss 20 years ago and it still going strong. Always starts, always idles.  Plenty of power for me but as I get older, it’s getting heavier. 
I vote Stihl, but have no experience with the others. I’m sure you can’t go wrong in that lineup of saws

They are lighter now than 20 years ago.  I know Stihl will be the crowd favorite, but lots of thing are crowd favorites that I don't care much for.  In the end will will boil down to the little nick nacks that they all put on em now like easy chain adjust or easy fuel fill crap, thats all stuff that will break in my mind.  The more simple old school it is, the more likely I am to buy it.

I have a Husky 440, good little workhorse, once you swap out the stupid clamp that always loosens itself, and replace with a simple thick flat washer and Gr. 8 bolt.  I would normally say Stihl, as the several Stihl yard tools I have have all been great.  But now my leaf blower doesn't seem to want to start, even after I replaced the carburetor.

Electric will depend on how much you are cutting and how many Batteries you have..I have a 60 volt DeWalt and it's great for a couple hours with 2 Batteries, but if you're cutting cord after cord IMO gasoline saws are hard to beat..

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, frenchy said:

if I was looking now I'd check out the jonsered too. I think they are owned by Husky, not sure though?

Yes.  I have a Jonsered self propelled mower and it is pretty decent, Honda engine.

28 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Buy from whoever dealer is best. All good saws. I buy Stihl but I have a close dealer that’s great.

I have the local Stihl dealer 4 blocks from my house.

8 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

This.

All are great brands. Find a good local dealer and buy what he's selling.

I believe echo are 5 year consumer warranty.

Go here, these guys know everything chainsaw.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chainsaw.9/

Yes the 5 year consumer warranty is definately a win.

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Electric will depend on how much you are cutting and how many Batteries you have..I have a 60 volt DeWalt and it's great for a couple hours with 2 Batteries, but if you're cutting cord after cord IMO gasoline saws are hard to beat..

Electric is not even an option.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

If ya make a living cutting firewood or are a professional logger then gas yes.  Few batteries and some bar oil and you have quiet and more reliable cutting with electric.  Hell most chap manufactures won’t even certify their chaps for electric saws cause of the greater torque that the electric models provide over gas.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

If ya make a living cutting firewood or are a professional logger then gas yes.  Few batteries and some bar oil and you have quiet and more reliable cutting with electric.  Hell most chap manufactures won’t even certify their chaps for electric saws cause of the greater torque that the electric models provide over gas.

I just cut two big birch last weekend. Electric wouldn't last.

Great around the house I'm sure.

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Yes.  I have a Jonsered self propelled mower and it is pretty decent, Honda engine.

I have the local Stihl dealer 4 blocks from my house.

Yes the 5 year consumer warranty is definately a win.

Electric is not even an option.

Hard pressed to beat a milwaukee for a hobbiest cutter. few hours with a milwaukee battery saw would open your eyes but whatever tickles your fancy.

Just now, BOHICA said:

I don't make a living off of it... although I have thought of it.  To me felling trees, chunking them up and splitting is soothing work.  I'm for gas 100% for  chainsaw.  I go 7 miles from my cabin to cut my wood, don't ever want to be stuck with dead batteries.

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the DeWalt Electric, we even have them on our Groomers and Trail equipment, but for cutting cords of wood even for home use I'd still take Gas powered over electric any day, believe me I've tried both for personal use making cord wood, gasoline is the way to go..again my opinion after cutting wood for 53 years now.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I don't make a living off of it... although I have thought of it.  To me felling trees, chunking them up and splitting is soothing work.  I'm for gas 100% for  chainsaw.  I go 7 miles from my cabin to cut my wood, don't ever want to be stuck with dead batteries.

Just make sure your batteries are charged...  would you go into the woods without spare gas?  What if the epa certified carb fucking does it normal thing on you while in the woods.  What if your recoil rope breaks?  What if you seize the motor due to the leaness of a modern saw?

leading a horse to water is easy....  making them drink is another story:

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the DeWalt Electric, we even have them on our Groomers and Trail equipment, but for cutting cords of wood even for home use I'd still take Gas powered over electric any day, believe me I've tried both for personal use making cord wood, gasoline is the way to go..again my opinion after cutting wood for 53 years now.

You should try a milwaukee....