Check your account email address ×

BRP must not be making a whole lot of money

I guess the Arctic Cat lawsuit didn't pay out enough. Just posted on Facebook that a local brp dealer that after 42 years of selling brp products, brp is pulling the plug on them. In their post, they are blaming a large part of it on brp being a publicly traded company now. Regardless of the reason, it is pretty sad.

52 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

AC just pulled a franchise from a local dealer. I think AC and Yamaha are done with sleds in the near future 

Sad...Two companies that could really be great if they were serious about sleds.

10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Sad...Two companies that could really be great if they were serious about sleds.

I think what happened is Textron bought them thinking they could run it like a golf cart company and here we are with them thinking "Fuck, now what the hell do we do with this?"

With the shorter Winters and lower snow conditions now in many areas Sleds are just not selling as well as they have in past Winters, in this greater area SXS, UTV, & ATV's are out selling Sleds by a lot, 5 Wheelers to every 2-3 Sleds, and the fact you can use Wheelers 12 months in most places including many roads and routes..I hate to see any sled manufactures struggle and perhaps stop making sleds but thru the years there were over 200 brands, now only 3-1/2 basically, may be a sign of the times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomas. said:

I guess the Arctic Cat lawsuit didn't pay out enough. Just posted on Facebook that a local brp dealer that after 42 years of selling brp products, brp is pulling the plug on them. In their post, they are blaming a large part of it on brp being a publicly traded company now. Regardless of the reason, it is pretty sad.

BRP has been forcing smaller dealerships to become multiline dealerships and if you won't take on the marine or sled or Can-Am line that they weren't selling they pull the plug. I'dunno the dealer you're referring to but it's build a BRP Superstore or you're out. 

Central Outboard sold Ski-Doo from the early 60's, 1 of the first Ski-Doo dealers and when BRP told them they had to take on other BRP lines they said no thanks, Ski-Doo gone

11 hours ago, Tomas. said:

Sucks that some of the small dealers are going but thats been happening for 15 years now in favor of larger dealers who can sell significant volume across all the product lines.     Sometimes it's the dealers choice,  sometimes the manufacturers.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
55 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

With the shorter Winters and lower snow conditions now in many areas Sleds are just not selling as well as they have in past Winters, in this greater area SXS, UTV, & ATV's are out selling Sleds by a lot, 5 Wheelers to every 2-3 Sleds, and the fact you can use Wheelers 12 months in most places including many roads and routes..I hate to see any sled manufactures struggle and perhaps stop making sleds but thru the years there were over 200 brands, now only 3-1/2 basically, may be a sign of the times.

I think weather is playing a big role but UTV's are hurting the sledding industry more than anything.   Virtually every riding buddy I have that got out has a UTV. 

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I think weather is playing a big role but UTV's are hurting the sledding industry more than anything.   Virtually every riding buddy I have that got out has a UTV. 

I had 7 sleds, now down to 4 and selling 1 of those in September.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

The season was always short some being better than others. Sleds aren’t selling because they are overpriced. Look at the 800/850 class snowmobiles. How different are they from 2003 when the rev came out?  The biggest improvement on these sleds are the gauges. Look at an 850 xrs. They sell for almost 16 grand. I paid 9300.00 for my 2006 Yamaha Attack and the motor/gauge technology was very good. The motor if treated right would last over 100K miles. You can’t say that about any two stroke.  

lets face the fact that a 600 sled today's better than an 800 class sled from the 90's and early 00's and can be had for a reasonable number. 

lots of competition for the rec $ today .  BRP wants dealers to be able to grab the guy looking for a UTV and boat as well as a sled for the good of the overall brand.      

My buddy works at a large dealership and said they are selling everything like hotcakes right now. :dunno: 

I would think people would be more reserved with the current economic climate... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

The season was always short some being better than others. Sleds aren’t selling because they are overpriced. Look at the 800/850 class snowmobiles. How different are they from 2003 when the rev came out?  The biggest improvement on these sleds are the gauges. Look at an 850 xrs. They sell for almost 16 grand. I paid 9300.00 for my 2006 Yamaha Attack and the motor/gauge technology was very good. The motor if treated right would last over 100K miles. You can’t say that about any two stroke.  

Have you priced Wheelers? Guy on my road spent $30,000 on a Ranger couple months ago, even has Air conditioning and Heater, front & rear Cameras, real glass windows, front has windshield wipers.

My RZR equiped the way it is now would be +/- $26,000.

Just now, Anler said:

My buddy works at a large dealership and said they are selling everything like hotcakes right now. :dunno: 

I would think people would be more reserved with the current economic climate... 

Many people live for the moment and never think about the future.  I actually had this conversation with one of my sales guys yesterday.  He is stopping spending given the uncertainty of the election and next year.  He will make 3x this year what he did 2 years ago but knows the backlash is coming at somepoint.  Others i work with are buying 100k cars second homes and toys with their abundance this year.  

• Gold Member
44 minutes ago, Tinker said:

BRP has been forcing smaller dealerships to become multiline dealerships and if you won't take on the marine or sled or Can-Am line that they weren't selling they pull the plug. I'dunno the dealer you're referring to but it's build a BRP Superstore or you're out. 

Central Outboard sold Ski-Doo from the early 60's, 1 of the first Ski-Doo dealers and when BRP told them they had to take on other BRP lines they said no thanks, Ski-Doo gone

That was how Cat fell....  forcing products onto dealers that couldn’t sell them... Started that in about 11 or 12 from my recollection.  BRP going the same way as CAT????  They just canceled their boat motor right?  Little by little

Edited by BOHICA

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Many people live for the moment and never think about the future.  I actually had this conversation with one of my sales guys yesterday.  He is stopping spending given the uncertainty of the election and next year.  He will make 3x this year what he did 2 years ago but knows the backlash is coming at somepoint.  Others i work with are buying 100k cars second homes and toys with their abundance this year.  

Remind you of the run up to any prior events? 

Have you priced Wheelers? Guy on my road spent $30,000 on a Ranger couple months ago, even has Air conditioning and Heater, front & rear Cameras, real glass windows, front has windshield wipers.

My RZR equiped the way it is now would be +/- $26,000.

Ya those are overpriced as well

12 hours ago, Edmo said:

Yamaha lost their way when they went all 4 stroke and the others went with low emmission lightweight 2 strokes

57 minutes ago, Anler said:

Remind you of the run up to any prior events? 

that was fueled by a different source but no doubt any balloon being blown up eventually pops.  .com boom is prob a more equivalent comparison right now vs the RE boom fueled in 03-07 and 87-90.    

• Platinum Contributing Member

I had 7 sleds, now down to 4 and selling 1 of those in September.

Which one you selling?   Have either of the Poo big bore triples left you want to part with?

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

that was fueled by a different source but no doubt any balloon being blown up eventually pops.  .com boom is prob a more equivalent comparison right now vs the RE boom fueled in 03-07 and 87-90.    

thats what I was thinking too. You could throw money at any tech stock back then and make money

Anyone here remember when all the sled manufacturers had regional distributors? Then they got greedy and paid them off or forced them out. Distributors allowed small dealers the advantage of picking up one or 2 sleds at at time for customers. Manus actually sold way more sleds back then too. I can remember at least 6 small Cat dealers who started in the late 60’s and 60’s I bought new sleds from that are gone now.