Check your account email address ×

Derecho storm that went thru Iowa and the midwest.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Came thru Iowa earlier this week.   The visible damage from satellite images is astounding.   Up to 1/3 of Iowa's fields sustained some damage.   Hearing places seen 90+ mph winds for 40+ minutes.   The sheer size of the storm damage is amazing.   Some of the larger towns south of me will be without power for 5-7 days.   Residents are coming from those area's to get gas, ice and groceries as they can't get them anywhere.  Cedar Rapids was hit very hard.  Not getting much national media attention. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/derecho-iowa-crop-land-farmland-midwest-damage-severe-weather-corn-soybean-disaster-10-million

derecho-1-NWS-Des-Moines.jpg

iowa-derecho-crops-2-Getty-Images.jpg

download.jpg

Edited by Highmark
  • Sad 1

Funny how the media doesn't barely mentions stuff like this.  We are north of that storm area.  Our version hit on Saturday.  I think the most severe damage is contained within about 1,000 sq miles. We received winds in the 70 mph range and lasted around 1/2 hour.  Corn looks the same as the photos.  We have about 500 acres that I'm not even sure about getting a harvest.  Usually, you can harvest in one direction to try to lift the corn.

There is a reason why farm country doesn't give a hoot about the media.  All the jibber jabber about the minor losses in the city are nothing compared to a drive in the country.

Tally up the riot losses on Lake Street vs. a drive on 212 across Yellow Medicine County, in MN.  There is a big disparity in losses and yet which one made the news over and over?  And that is the minor stuff in MN.  The mess in IA is huge in comparison.  Still gets the same coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Anler said:

My mom wont have power back until Saturday. I was just at my bids house and he has catostrophic damage due to a giant tree falling on his house and vehicles. 

I have a 3500 gas gen if you need it fuckface. 

3 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Funny how the media doesn't barely mentions stuff like this.  We are north of that storm area.  Our version hit on Saturday.  I think the most severe damage is contained within about 1,000 sq miles. We received winds in the 70 mph range and lasted around 1/2 hour.  Corn looks the same as the photos.  We have about 500 acres that I'm not even sure about getting a harvest.  Usually, you can harvest in one direction to try to lift the corn.

There is a reason why farm country doesn't give a hoot about the media.  All the jibber jabber about the minor losses in the city are nothing compared to a drive in the country.

Tally up the riot losses on Lake Street vs. a drive on 212 across Yellow Medicine County, in MN.  There is a big disparity in losses and yet which one made the news over and over?  And that is the minor stuff in MN.  The mess in IA is huge in comparison.  Still gets the same coverage.

Lots of farm damage by me, most of the structural damage is on farms.  We had 100 mph winds that lasted for about 15 minutes. Mostly power lines and poles down,hail damage,and shingles blown off in my neighborhood. The media is a joke. 

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Hopefully those with damage had insurance

They should and if not....well that's their own fault.   Still tough dealing with the damage and cleanup.   Construction will be booming more than it already was.   Silver lining when things like this happen.   

Heard on the local radio farm report at noon the crop insurance basis price was $3.88.   Above what corn is expected to be around harvest.   Considering most Federal Crop insurance plans were 75-80% they should come out OK. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

Yeah and one was done intentionally by Marxists. 

Tornado sirens going off in all the towns around me when it hit. Heard there was one south of us. We didn’t get the big winds though, maybe 45-50 mph for a few minutes, and a ton of rain.

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

They should and if not....well that's their own fault.   Still tough dealing with the damage and cleanup.   Construction will be booming more than it already was.   Silver lining when things like this happen.   

Heard on the local radio farm report at noon the crop insurance basis price was $3.88.   Above what corn is expected to be around harvest.   Considering most Federal Crop insurance plans were 75-80% they should come out OK. 

From what I understand, there's crop insurance that doesn't always include hail damage.  And if you buy the extra hail insurance, it doesn't include wind damage, which is extra.  I gotta find where I read that.  Maybe I mis-understood.

25 minutes ago, hayward said:

From what I understand, there's crop insurance that doesn't always include hail damage.  And if you buy the extra hail insurance, it doesn't include wind damage, which is extra.  I gotta find where I read that.  Maybe I mis-understood.

23 minutes ago, hayward said:

Correct.   Most guys I know add the hail coverage.   Most damage I seen was wind.   Hail strips the stalks more than flattening it down.

hail%20damage%20nebraska.gif

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, favoritos said:

I've seen national and local coverage on the storms. One of our local anchors butchered 'Derecho' 3or 4 times before giving up. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, favoritos said:

Just rock and cows out here.  You should know that by now.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ckf said:

I've seen national and local coverage on the storms. One of our local anchors butchered 'Derecho' 3or 4 times before giving up. :lol:

That storm did get some coverage.  The storm on Saturday was in MN.  It did not get coverage.

52 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Just rock and cows out here.  You should know that by now.  

I'll agree.  Nice big rocks too. :thumbsup: