Check your account email address ×

I have heard it all.

I’m doing some work at a owner occupied office building getting it ready for it to reopen. A bunch of their employees have safety concerns about coming back to work. They only have 400 parking spaces and approximately 350 employees. They  are saying only half can come back because they can only use every other parking spot because of social distance rules. You can’t make this shit up. 

Edited by Woodtick
  • Haha 3

funny i said to the CEO's admin the other day it's so nice that we social distance our cars out front.  There is maybe 30 people in the whole office building right now with 7-8 cars parked near each entrance and they were all with a space in between.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

funny i said to the CEO's admin the other day it's so nice that we social distance our cars out front.  There is maybe 30 people in the whole office building right now with 7-8 cars parked near each entrance and they were all with a space in between.  

That is to prevent door dents not the CV from spreading.........

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Your gonna see many work at home employees staying at home permanently. The one thing Corporate America has learned by this pandemic is they can save millions of dollars on office space. 

One other thing watch for many moving away from highly populated areas.

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Your gonna see many work at home employees staying at home permanently. The one thing Corporate America has learned by this pandemic is they can save millions of dollars on office space. 

This is going to crash the commercial real estate market. And ultimately crash all local govts because commercial and industrial properties pay the most real estate taxes. So guess who will be left to pick up the tab? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

I’m doing some work at a owner occupied office building getting it ready for it to reopen. A bunch of their employees have safety concerns about coming back to work. They only have 400 parking spaces and approximately 350 employees. They  are saying only half can come back because they can only use every other parking spot because of social distance rules. You can’t make this shit up. 

Cars have to social distance too.  :lol:

Edited by gravy davey

We got around the parking problem by staggering the different departments start times. 30 minutes of offset between the three or four major groups. Everyone is still getting their temp taken every day before entering building.

• Platinum Contributing Member
42 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You are going to see many lose their jobs because companies will realize they don't need so many.  

59 minutes ago, Anler said:

Some people are milking this shit for all its worth. 

There was another email floating around here about eating and drinking. They can’t safely eat or drink because it’s unsafe to remove their mask. The email got deleted,so I didn’t get to read it.

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You are going to see many lose their jobs because companies will realize they don't need so many.  

Yep. I’m hearing numbers around 50% are productive at home. Heads are going to get chopped.A lot of positions eliminated. A shit ton of empty office space.

50 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

We got around the parking problem by staggering the different departments start times. 30 minutes of offset between the three or four major groups. Everyone is still getting their temp taken every day before entering building.

This makes sense for the elevator traffic jams and lunch breaks.

• Gold Member

Im hoping this hits the jobs of business type travelers.  Them and their roller bags makes air travel unbearable.  If they don’t have jobs there roller bags won’t be on my flights

Edited by BOHICA

58 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

yes,   we are looking at it.  Most efficient month ever in April with next to no one in their offices.  So we will give the option more and more for employees to choose to work from home. I would expect we will shed at least 1 building in our corporate campus plus put on hold a couple expansions we had looked at.   Unfortunately with the way licensing works it's hard for us to cut a deal with a wework or regus to meet our needs for transient sales people so the sales offices will stay.   

They need to build a drive through car wash at every entrance and only allow employees to enter alphabetically with their last name. If that means your last name begins with an A and you need to arrive at work an hour or 2 early, then so be it. Modern problems need modern solutions. :news:

53 minutes ago, Anler said:

This is going to crash the commercial real estate market. And ultimately crash all local govts because commercial and industrial properties pay the most real estate taxes. So guess who will be left to pick up the tab? 

This is a big concern right now and how it snowballs into the housing market.   Going to be some amazing buys in commercial real estate in the next 12-24 months and possibly the home market as well.  

lots of tents up around all the essential businesses to take temp and vet incoming employees.  Here in my building they just threw up some signs saying stay home if your sick and wear and mask and wash your hands.  

56 minutes ago, Anler said:

And all of the restaurants,bars,and stores around these office complexes will also close. People are fucking blind on what road we are headed down.

I was very surprised when talking with the nurse when I went to get my covid antibodies test when she said they weren't that busy from covid testing but EXTREMELY busy doing drug testing for new hiring.   Probably just replacements for people that won't come back into work soaking up the ridiculous unemployment pay. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Yep. I’m hearing numbers around 50% are productive at home. Heads are going to get chopped.A lot of positions eliminated. A shit ton of empty office space.

Out of our 9 office staff 3 have been working from home full time (young children at home).   I've seen zero issues with it.   All three come in at some point of the week for a few hours to complete some tasks that have to be done here but even those other people here could be trained for.   

Corporate travel will tank for a few years bare minimum.   I don't understand why as much was done prior to all this with the ease of video meetings. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

lots of tents up around all the essential businesses to take temp and vet incoming employees.  Here in my building they just threw up some signs saying stay home if your sick and wear and mask and wash your hands.  

They are putting thermal scanners in the entrance of the building I’m in.

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Out of our 9 office staff 3 have been working from home full time (young children at home).   I've seen zero issues with it.   All three come in at some point of the week for a few hours to complete some tasks that have to be done here but even those other people here could be trained for.   

Corporate travel will tank for a few years bare minimum.   I don't understand why as much was done prior to all this with the ease of video meetings. 

Lots of people who are resistant to change no matter what. Will be interesting to see how many companies change their ways and how many dig their heels in. 

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

Lots of people who are resistant to change no matter what. Will be interesting to see how many companies change their ways and how many dig their heels in. 

I know lots of people who don't want to exclusively work from home.   All three of our employee's feedback is that its great but want more time in the office once the time is right.   Office interaction is a big part of people's lives.